Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit as personal item bag

I am still on the look out for the best personal item bag but something that is versatile and can be used for different functions. I never considered this bag until I saw a review recently.

As an in flight personal bag could it fit:
    iPad pro 12.5, travel wallet with passports and money, headphones, a few small electronics, a cable bag, a small camera.

As a beach bag could it fit:
    a small camera, a beach towel or two

As a camera bag could it fit
    a mirrorless camera, two lens, a travel tripod

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Port Angeles, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this will not address your points directly but this has been my trusty diaper bag for the last 10 months. Iím quite pleased.
    A typical stuff looks like this:

The blue item in the side pocket is my wallet. I keep my car keys and house keys in either the same pocket or one near it.

Hereís everything taken out. The mountain fabric pouch has about 8-10 diapers plus wipes. The smallest zipper pocket is where I put my phone. I currently use an iPhone SE, but the Htc one will fit as well.

Based on my use I would say that it could easily hold a Nikon and a coupe lenses. The smaller tripod we own would not fit as itís too long, about 18Ē. Sorry I donít have any photos of our camera with it, my husband takes those to work with him.

I hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 1, yes, the pad will fit in the main compartment (if I looked at the dimensions right, it's 12x8.8 and the PU is 16x9.6), and the rest can go in the front pockets. Here's an old thread with the exact answer...https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...-ipad-pro.html

For 2, I believe a towel would fit in the main compartment and the camera could go in the front pouches.

For 3, there was a great video review on YouTube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcrgsRaxmE and at around 6:15 he talks about putting in his mirrorless camera in a camera insert and putting that in the main compartment along with another small lense. And he said there's room for more lenses and other things.

As a side note, I just got my PU to use as a purse replacement and it's fabulous. I tried both the black halcyon and steel ballistic and kept the halcyon. This is a very wide bag and especially if you don't fill it up all the way, it looks too big to me. The halcyon kind of hides that because it shrinks to fit the contents of your bag.

Edit: here's some pictures!

1. Surface pro 3, fits perfectly with plenty of room, I think that should be roughly the size of your iPad.

2. Beach towel. It fits (rolled up), but I couldn't zip it closed. Maybe it would fit better folded? That use case may be a good instance to use the inside handles.

For some context on what I had on the outside pouches:

3. Small snake charmer with various cables and battery pack, stuffed fabric 3d organizer cube with various makeup stuff, travel umbrella.

4. Empty travel cubelet, empty side effect, a pair of socks (never know when you'll need them)
    Last edited by nolegrl; 09-13-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some concerns about trying to fit beach towels and larger iPads in the PU. Unless your beach towels are linen or those Turkish thin ones, that is. A long rigid item like a travel tripod or iPad will have an effect on more than just the pocket it is in, as the dividers are only Halcyon. If you don't pack a PU carefully then it gets overstuffed and/or the pockets encroach on each other.

I think the pocket layout works best for smaller and thinner stuff. Things around 3" in diameter are the largest items I carry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thanks for the info and the pictures.
    I was skeptical at best about the two towels but it seems like one would fit ok.
    My tripod collapses to just over 12 inches in length so it might just fit.

It still sounds like a great bag that might not be able to everything I want but enough of what I wan that it would be a good purchase.

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the older style of Parental Unit and while it can fit a lot of small & medium things well it tends to have trouble with bulkier items. I think it has some great design elements that let it fill many roles but overall it just didnít make the cut for my needs.