1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to Turducken an S19 and/or an MCB?

Hi friends,
    I am looking for recommendations on possibilities to turducken my two bags, an S19 and an MCB.

S19: I want to be able to have a bag I can transition to in case backpacks aren't allowed. Will the SK fit into the S19 well? I see the side effect, but I have to carry my planner on some occasions, which is a Jibun techo (either A5 slim or B6 slim), and I will be carrying sunglasses, my wallet, a Pixel XL, keys, a double clear organizer pouch as a mini med kit, and a pen pouch with some fountain pens. Will this make the backpack overall too bulky? I think it will fit in the main compartment in the pocket, but I haven't seen anyone using it this way.

MCB: I have looked all over the forums for how people pack up their MCB, and it seems to be lots of pouches clipped isnide rather than bags or cubes with more structure. How do people organize their MCB? Do you prefer a FS instead?a TC?

Thanks! I am making myself crazy pondering all the options, and would appreciate some real-world advice. I haven't been able to find these specific topics covered yet.
    delight in the making

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also, besides the 3DOC and SE, what do you put in the bottom pocket? 2 travel cubes? a Stuff sack? Small SC?
    delight in the making

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalei View Post
    S19: I want to be able to have a bag I can transition to in case backpacks aren't allowed. Will the SK fit into the S19 well? I see the side effect, but I have to carry my planner on some occasions, which is a Jibun techo (either A5 slim or B6 slim), and I will be carrying sunglasses, my wallet, a Pixel XL, keys, a double clear organizer pouch as a mini med kit, and a pen pouch with some fountain pens. Will this make the backpack overall too bulky? I think it will fit in the main compartment in the pocket, but I haven't seen anyone using it this way.
    Sounds like all that should fit with a lot of room to spare...

I use the S19 with the frame, which helps to prevent the 'turtle' effect of a bulgy load... I also simply find it more comfortable to have a rigid frame sheet against my back...
    In the lower 'chin' pocket, I have a stuffed 3DOC holding random stuff... normally the side pockets have pens, pencils, mini q-kits, etc.... 16oz nalgene in the water bottle pocket...

Took a photo of a stuffed SK in the bottom plus two library books to show what it looks like... you can see the SK fits fine side to side and even full there's room for two hardcovers plus space beside them...didn't bother putting anything on top, but you can see there's lots of room

How to Turducken an S19 and/or an MCB?-img_20180912_174338-2-jpg

Here's that load zipped closed, from the side...

How to Turducken an S19 and/or an MCB?-img_20180912_174357-jpg

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images How to Turducken an S19 and/or an MCB?-img_20180912_174338-jpg  How to Turducken an S19 and/or an MCB?-img_20180912_174357-jpg 
    Last edited by G42; 09-12-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalei View Post
    Hi friends,

A side kick fits in an S19 - I travelled for 5 weeks in Europe earlier this year with my SK in my S19 for extra organisation - I generally had it near the top for easy access but it does fit nicely in the interior pocket too. It is a great little bag for adding extra org to another bag.

(full disclosure - it was not a one bag journey - except for a 4 day sledding trip where I only took the S19, with the SK inside.)

Just checked - the SK fits in my MCB too.
    List under construction ....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the SE a bit snug in the lower pocket and generally just put stuff in loose ...

My bottom pocket load for the trip to Europe.
    dry bag - empty
    sleeping bag liner
    blow up pillow
    rain cover for the S19
    baggie for a jacket
    a random plastic bag
    tissues and TP

How to Turducken an S19 and/or an MCB?-s19bottompocket-1-jpg
    List under construction ....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one stumped me at first.

What on earth is a Turducken?

At first glance the word suggests something completely different from its actually meaning. I googled it and outside of the US and Canada it’s known as Three Bird Roast.

A great example of “Nations separated by a common language.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I change out my S19 loadout depending on the day and purpose. If I'm using it as my EDC I like using a Freudian Slip, it allows me to take advantage of the vertical space and keep track of small items (lip balm, pens, glasses etc.) and also acts as a bit of structure, i.e. helps the S19 stand up on its own. (If my load starts to get big enough to cause turtling/egging out I usually just move on up to my Smart Alec.) If it's for travel - e.g carry-on item - then I often will take out the FS and use org pouches or stuff sacks as they maximize use of the interior space and are also-self-contained if I need to pull something out and root around in the bottom of a pouch. Sometimes I'll put a stuff sack in the bottom pocket (for my rain jacket, or a small blanket, or an umbrella; alternately, a collection of things I need infrequently such as first aid) so that things don't roll out when I unzip that compartment.

Turducken style: I have also sometimes rolled up a Shop Bag and stowed it either in one of the side pockets or the bottom pocket, precisely for the situation where I'm not allowed to carry a backpack over my shoulder (e.g. museums). Or it's helpful if I need to shift the load around - sometimes I travel with an A30 and S19, if I want to carry the A30 on my back then I put the S19 in a Shop Bag.

MCB: I also go back and forth between using an FS and leaving the space more open. Lately I've been using three OPs so that it's easy to switch between bags: a mini double OP for lip balm and other toiletries, an Iberian mini OP as my bare-bones first-aid kit, and a pen/pencil case. (I also put my wallet and sunglasses in there.) That leaves plenty of room for any of the following: small water bottle, a light rain jacket, a baseball cap.

Turducken style: I haven't found myself doing bag-in-bag with the MCB too much - the closest I have come is using a Cubelet (regular, not TC) for my essentials. But if I'm going to grab the Cubelet then I may as well take the whole MCB. YMMV.

What on earth is a Turducken?
    As you probably have found: "A 3-bird roast usually entails having a larger bird stuffed with a smaller bird, which is then stuffed with a couple of breasts of the third bird, with stuffing between all layers." I presume mandalei intended the verb to suggest putting one TB bag within another.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh...the turducken reference made me smile... I went to a turducken meal once...I brought a series of original limericks as my contribution. I couldn't imagine a more appropriate poetic form for such a thing...

More to the point, I have been going back and forth between an MCB and an S19 these days...a small snake charmer is a great addition to either one of those bags for organizing. I've got a clean bandana, small spoon, flashlight, lip balm, Life Savers, and a couple twisties on one side and a small OP with four or five writing instruments in the other along with a small stack of 3x5 index cards. Having two sides to the same container has been a handy thing--enough togetherness while maintaining enough psychic space for each. I can put it either upright or sideways in the main body of either. It also fits in the lower pocket of the S19 as well as in the longer upright centre pocket.

I've also used both small and medium cafe bag freudian slips with great success in both bags. When using those FSes in the S19, I tend to slip them into the inside sleeve. Handy to pull out and have at the ready on a desk or table. The only thing I clip to the ORings are things that stay in my bag semi-permanently (until I switch bags)...like house keys and a mini op of coins. The other items are regularly pulled out and tucked back in and I want to have to unclip and clip each time.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, all! This was really helpful and I am going to have to add an SK and a SSC to my next order.

The Romans used to do a form of series-of-stuffed-animals, but it started off with a cow, and worked its way on down the size line-up, including exotic animals like peacocks and dormice.
    delight in the making