1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Backpack vs Luminary Comfort

I know it's a ways out before the luminaries come back, but I'm curious about this comparison.

I have a nylon rip-stop backpack that holds quite a bit (35l), but has no padding. I generally carry small electronics in my bag, so I only feel a lumpy load that sinks to the bottom of the bag when I put it on. I still use it though because it can lay flat in my luggage. I do worry that it can't carry the weight well (it'd say it's maybe 3 to 5lbs).

It sounds like the daylight backpack is similar to that bag and I'm trying to avoid that. The only advantage to it might be the durability and I won't worry about it holding everything, but the lack of padding on the straps and back may be a deal breaker.

The Luminary, however, seems to have more padding and seems like a smaller version of the synapses. It also seems like it can lay flat without taking up much more room that the daylight?

Are these correct assumptions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post a picture when I get home of my Luminary flattened with a ruler so you can see how flat/thick it packs. It doesn't store dead flat because of the back padding and all the compartments. But maybe it will be flat enough for your purposes.

I've tried other minimal, padding-free packs but I haven't tried a daylight backpack to compare the Luminary to. The Luminary does a good job of preventing things from poking into my back. Little things still sink to the bottom, but they don't form a ball like they do in minimal packs.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    I'll post a picture when I get home of my Luminary flattened with a ruler so you can see how flat/thick it packs. It doesn't store dead flat because of the back padding and all the compartments. But maybe it will be flat enough for your purposes.

I've tried other minimal, padding-free packs but I haven't tried a daylight backpack to compare the Luminary to. The Luminary does a good job of preventing things from poking into my back. Little things still sink to the bottom, but they don't form a ball like they do in minimal packs.
    That'd be great, thank you! I'm kind of looking for a happy medium between the super minimal bags and the thick backpacks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is, weighted down with my laundry basket to simulate luggage conditions. It ranges in thickness from 1.5" to 2".

Daylight Backpack vs Luminary Comfort-20180913_210125-jpg

Please excuse the crappy lighting.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries! Thanks for the picture! That should be ok in my luggage, keeping it on the bottom with packing cubes on top.