Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot vs. Co-Pilot vs ???

So I'm sure this question has been asked to death but I thought I'd put my own spin on it. Travel with family members semi-frequently and get everything we use on-board tossed at me to carry and I'm hoping to find an under seat bag that works as a personal item on as many NA domestic airlines as possible - looks like the winner for small size is currently United? If it would work for INT that would be a bonus. Currently using a medium backpack but it has no organization so it's always a dig to find anything.

Things that will be in this bag
    • 3-4 iPads/tablets/ereaders - likely one 10" and a couple of minis.
    • Family Passport/ID holder the only a have is approx. 8x4x1
    • Drinks and snacks
    • Pens, notepads, etc
    • Carry-on meds
    • Other misc. junk (ie car keys)
    • Glasses case(s) - likely 2

Any chance a Pilot would work for this? Also have looked at the RedOxx Gator but without seeing them in person it's really a guess.

Thanks!

PS If the pilot works any chance of it coming in the 525 ballistic vs the 1050 it's currently made in? Not that it really matters but from the material list on TB the 525 sounds like the superior material.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted a similar question recently.

United's stated limits for a personal item are 17 inches by 10 x 9, but the bag sizer is actually larger: 18 x 11 x 10. A Pilot fits (barely), but the capacity is far below what United's limits allow. The Pilot is 12 liters; a bag built exactly to United's limits would be more like 20.

The mini size of the Yeoman duffle is within United's limits and would be larger -- 17 liters. There are no external pockets, but there are four O-rings inside that could be used with a Q-kit, cubelet, side effect, etc. for smaller items.

I don't know the answer for you, but if a Pilot isn't big enough, there is a real hole in the TB lineup -- size-wise, there's nothing between the Pilot and mini Yeoman. And if you wanted something bigger than a Pilot and with zippered pockets and so on, the next thing going up is an Empire Builder, which is too big to be a personal item on United.

I emailed TB about this gap, and they haven't responded, which isn't like them.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonMonster View Post
    PS If the pilot works any chance of it coming in the 525 ballistic vs the 1050 it's currently made in? Not that it really matters but from the material list on TB the 525 sounds like the superior material.
    Superiority depends on your intended usage, items, and purpose. For me, I usually prefer the extra durability of 1050 over 525 for bags like the pilot, plus I really dislike bags that don't hold their shape well, so 1050 is definitely my first choice.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
    I posted a similar question recently.

United's stated limits for a personal item are 17 inches by 10 x 9, but the bag sizer is actually larger: 18 x 11 x 10. A Pilot fits (barely), but the capacity is far below what United's limits allow. The Pilot is 12 liters; a bag built exactly to United's limits would be more like 20.

The mini size of the Yeoman duffle is within United's limits and would be larger -- 17 liters. There are no external pockets, but there are four O-rings inside that could be used with a Q-kit, cubelet, side effect, etc. for smaller items.

I don't know the answer for you, but if a Pilot isn't big enough, there is a real hole in the TB lineup -- size-wise, there's nothing between the Pilot and mini Yeoman. And if you wanted something bigger than a Pilot and with zippered pockets and so on, the next thing going up is an Empire Builder, which is too big to be a personal item on United.

I emailed TB about this gap, and they haven't responded, which isn't like them.
    I did see your thread - I almost didn't bother asking as this question keeps getting asked here. Didn't realize the United sizer was actual 11 high - nice to know. To be honest I've never even flow United, usually wind up on either Southwest or Westjet but if I'm spending this much on a bag I'd like to make it as universal as possible.

What I'm really looking to find out is if anyone has used a pilot to carry as much as I'm planning to carry. Without seeing to bag in person I'm hesitant to order it to find out.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Superiority depends on your intended usage, items, and purpose. For me, I usually prefer the extra durability of 1050 over 525 for bags like the pilot, plus I really dislike bags that don't hold their shape well, so 1050 is definitely my first choice.
    Fair enough. Just noticed more and more bags seem to be being made with the 525 and from the materials glossery it seems that its the better fabric but it's hard to tell from a spec sheet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I routinely carry this much in my Pilot although I only need 1 drink at a time too.
    If you are inclined to make even the Pilot way too heavy then follow me!

I easily stuff an
    11" Macbook Air
    12" Macbook
    11" Dell Convertible Laptop
    Ipad Mini

All in the bigger compartment in mine along with all power supplies and cords for them and often a few other too large items as well.

Space is not the issue for me.

I find the Pilot to be one of the most amazing bags that I have ever tried and I have tried a lot of them.

On the other hand I can almost never find space under the seat for mine although it fits there just fine as my giant clown shoes have to go somewhere too?

So if you are carrying the stuff for others make the bag sit under their seat maybe and all should be OK?

Mine are also all Ballistic 1050(3 of them) and I would not have them any other way,I like that they retain a solid shape no matter how full.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I routinely carry this much in my Pilot although I only need 1 drink at a time too.
    If you are inclined to make even the Pilot way too heavy then follow me!

I easily stuff an
    11" Macbook Air
    12" Macbook
    11" Dell Convertible Laptop
    Ipad Mini

All in the bigger compartment in mine along with all power supplies and cords for them and often a few other too large items as well.

Space is not the issue for me.

I find the Pilot to be one of the most amazing bags that I have ever tried and I have tried a lot of them.

On the other hand I can almost never find space under the seat for mine although it fits there just fine as my giant clown shoes have to go somewhere too?

So if you are carrying the stuff for others make the bag sit under their seat maybe and all should be OK?

Mine are also all Ballistic 1050(3 of them) and I would not have them any other way,I like that they retain a solid shape no matter how full.
    Perfect! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking to hear. With your carry I would suspect the weight would be an issue - do you recommend the absolute strap?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    I love my Pilot in 1050 ballistic, and I use the Absolute Strap on it. Looks like overkill, but makes it quite comfy to carry, especially if I have it packed full.

I noticed that the Co-Pilot now comes in 525 also. I thought that the Co-Pilot in 1050 seemed a bit challenging zipperwise and size of front pockets wise. I didn't like the SE in 1050 ballistic because it was too hard to get into, and the Halcyon version was too floppy for my taste. Does anyone have a Co-Pilot in the 525 ballistic, who can comment on the fabric weight in this bag?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking to hear. With your carry I would suspect the weight would be an issue - do you recommend the absolute strap?
    Ummm, absolute strap forever. It makes EVERYTHING better.
    A45 - Black Halcyon/NWS MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! TC - Viridian/Dawn TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a LCB or MCB in original Nordic. Okay fine, anything in original NORDIC.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also just hear back from Cody at TB about materials -

"We don't have any plans to switch to 525 in the Pilot right now. It's something that may change in the future, but for now we're keeping it in 1050 and 400 Halcyon. =)"

About an hour after I asked - that has to be the new record for time to hear back from customer service.

So I've decided to order the Pilot - does anyone have an efficient means of ordering one from Canada - TB uses UPS and I'd like to avoid the extra $20-50 in 'brokerage' fees they like to charge.
    Last edited by vonMonster; 10-05-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Hit post before I finished.....

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Sure!

I actually use the OpTech Strap on mine as I have several anyway,they make the Absolute Strap for Bihn and they are almost identical.

Makes all the difference in the world somehow.