Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Medium Cafe vs Makers Bag EDC for Missionary Work

Hi everyone!

I will be traveling a ton next year as a Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I was hoping you guys could help me decide on what bag to use as my EDC missionary bag.

I am trying to decide between the MB and the MCB. The main concern I have is that I will likely be carrying around a set of scriptures and they are quite bulky. I am afraid that they won't fit in the MCB. I also carry around at least 1 (sometimes 2) water bottles. I will have a phone, my wallet, my medicine, a notepad, a pen or two and a small planner. I will also need to carry a light layer and a few daily essentials. I plan to put those essentials in a 3DOC or a Travel Cublet depending on how much I actually need to carry with me.

I also use a wheelchair so the bag will need to be able to attach to my body as well as around my shoulder, which from my research both of these are capable of doing.

Backpacks are not an option because they are not professional enough, the bag must be a messenger type bag.

Are there positives to the MCB over the MB? Will the MB get too stuffed? Will the MB be too big for what I actually need, would it be better for me to try and find a large cafe bag on ebay or craigslist?

Thanks for your help!

North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t have the MCB, but it sounds like you can jam all the things you list into one (maybe not multiple water bottles) versus having a little extra space in an MB. Some people like having exactly the space they need and some like underpacking bigger bags. I’m more on the latter end of the spectrum.

I have a MB and love it as EDC but I came from huge bike messenger bags. I thought the MB was small till I saw how efficiently it uses its space.

It may cost a little more in shipping but the best thing would be to order both, test pack, and send one back.

Also the Parental Unit might work well for you. Similar in size to the MB with more more/different organization. I like the MB and the wife likes the PU.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inky_thoughts View Post
    I don’t have the MCB, but it sounds like you can jam all the things you list into one (maybe not multiple water bottles) versus having a little extra space in an MB. Some people like having exactly the space they need and some like underpacking bigger bags. I’m more on the latter end of the spectrum.

I have a MB and love it as EDC but I came from huge bike messenger bags. I thought the MB was small till I saw how efficiently it uses its space.

It may cost a little more in shipping but the best thing would be to order both, test pack, and send one back.

Also the Parental Unit might work well for you. Similar in size to the MB with more more/different organization. I like the MB and the wife likes the PU.
    I like the easy to use zips on the PU, and the very adaptable internal organisation that it offers - so very practical for so many uses, not just parental!

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter used her Co-Pilot for an 18 month mission in Japan. It worked beautifully for her scriptures, iPad, water bottle, and everything else a missionary needs. The fact that it zips closed is a big plus over the cafe style bags. It is very professional looking and now, 13 countries latter, it still looks new.

Also, hers was the only bag that stood the abuse of bikes, snow, rain and sun. All her missionary friends were rather jealous.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    My daughter used her Co-Pilot for an 18 month mission in Japan. It worked beautifully for her scriptures, iPad, water bottle, and everything else a missionary needs. The fact that it zips closed is a big plus over the cafe style bags. It is very professional looking and now, 13 countries latter, it still looks new.

Also, hers was the only bag that stood the abuse of bikes, snow, rain and sun. All her missionary friends were rather jealous.
    I will look into the Co-Pilot thanks. I have always wanted to go to Japan. Are there any other products from TB that you think would be good to have on a mission, are there others that your daughter had with her throughout her mission?

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know she got a lot of use out of her 3DOCs, mini-Q Kit, pen pouches, mini and small OPs and double OP. She also became a master of using organizing cubes, both Tom Bihn and Eagle Creek, since she had to be able to pack and move at a moments notice.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the items you need, the Co-Pilot is the smallest bag I'd recommend, as well as the most professional looking. The Pilot might be a better fit but I haven't used one personally. The Parental Unit does look more like a messenger bag and less like a briefcase, but that form factor does let it cram a few more things inside (if you need a warmer sweater or something like that), and it works better for carrying two water bottles (or taller/longer ones) as it doesn't have the dedicated water bottle compartment like the Co-Pilot and Pilot do. However, if you only carry one water bottle, the Co-Pilot and Pilot's dedicated spots balance the bags perfectly.

Would the Wheelchair Straps https://www.tombihn.com/products/cha...nt=42235318663 be an option for you?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    With the items you need, the Co-Pilot is the smallest bag I'd recommend, as well as the most professional looking. The Pilot might be a better fit but I haven't used one personally. The Parental Unit does look more like a messenger bag and less like a briefcase, but that form factor does let it cram a few more things inside (if you need a warmer sweater or something like that), and it works better for carrying two water bottles (or taller/longer ones) as it doesn't have the dedicated water bottle compartment like the Co-Pilot and Pilot do. However, if you only carry one water bottle, the Co-Pilot and Pilot's dedicated spots balance the bags perfectly.

Would the Wheelchair Straps https://www.tombihn.com/products/cha...nt=42235318663 be an option for you?
    Due to the fact that my wheelchair is so low to the ground I can't have anything hanging off of my chair unless it is on my back and then resting on the back of my chair. But, I might order a set and try them out just to see.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I know she got a lot of use out of her 3DOCs, mini-Q Kit, pen pouches, mini and small OPs and double OP. She also became a master of using organizing cubes, both Tom Bihn and Eagle Creek, since she had to be able to pack and move at a moments notice.

Thank you so much for that information. I will look into all of those items. Is there anything else you think I should bring that many missionaries don't think about?