Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 within Aeronauts for travel?

We will be traveling to France for the Women's World Cup next summer and are starting to make our travel plans now to figure out the costs (and arrange meeting up with my brother, who will come over from London for the last four games) since the tickets start to go on sale this week. The best option for our travel is Air France from the USA to Paris (and then back again) and then take trains around France (we haven't decided how many quarterfinals we will go to yet).

I use my Brain Bag as the main travel bag within the USA but would like to bring the Synapse 19 to use as my personal item on the flights/trains and as my day bag when we go out in the cities and put it inside the larger travel bag carryon when we are going to and from travel and hotels and etc, so I'm only wearing one bag when walking through crowded places. (If the Luminary is available before we leave, I might take that instead of the Synapse if I don't bring my laptop with me.)

I know the European carryon limits are stricter than the USA ones, but we won't be flying within Europe, just to and from, and taking trains within France. If I pack the Aeronaut 45 with the full Synapse 19 inside of it (probably unzipping one or both of the end pockets to make room for the length of the Synapse), and remove the Synapse when I board the plane, would that now-underpacked Aeronaut 45 be small enough for the international carryon size for Air France? The listed dimensions on their website make me think the full Aeronaut 45 counts as a carryon, but I'm not sure and I can't risk it being too large once I get on the plane.

If the underpacked Aeronaut 45 would still be too large, would the Synapse 19 fit inside the Aeronaut 30? I know the 30 would be better suited for my 5-foot height (I do have a long torso) but I'm not sure if it would be big enough for my travel needs.

If I absolutely have to, I can take the Brain Bag as the carryon and the Parental Unit as the personal item, but that plan would mean using a messenger bag instead of a backpack as my day bag and wearing both bags at once when traveling. I've done it before but prefer to wear just one bag.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need to have 19 litres of stuff at your feet when on the plane? Would be a lot easier to pack the S19 flat on the bottom of the A45 and put your stuff in on top of it. You could then one bag it around the airport etc and take out a packing cube or PCSB etc out of one of the end pockets for your at seat items when you board the plane.

It looks like the measurements of the A45 are only too big by 5 millimetres. That is within reasonable measurement error on an object this size. Unless you stuff it to breaking point, I'm absolutely sure you'll be fine with the A45 on Air France.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Do you need to have 19 litres of stuff at your feet when on the plane? Would be a lot easier to pack the S19 flat on the bottom of the A45 and put your stuff in on top of it. You could then one bag it around the airport etc and take out a packing cube or PCSB etc out of one of the end pockets for your at seat items when you board the plane.

It looks like the measurements of the A45 are only too big by 5 millimetres. That is within reasonable measurement error on an object this size. Unless you stuff it to breaking point, I'm absolutely sure you'll be fine with the A45 on Air France.

The Synapse 19 will be the under-seat bag for both of us (I have short legs and don't need the leg room). I know it can't be completely full, as the depth would be too large for the personal item dimensions for Air France, but it will have two people's worth of in-flight items.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right you are. I've got a S19 and an A30 so I can try that combination tomorrow and let you know.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which bag are you going to carry on your shoulder full time? You do have 2 backpacks basically. I don't know how comfortable traveling that way would be...
    Last edited by ButtUglyJeff; 10-17-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I tried a Synapse 19 packed with squishy stuff in an Aeronaut 30 and it was really awkward.
    I hadn't realised before that the unzip into the side compartment feature works by bulging the main compartment into the side compartment. I had thought that if I undid the zip I could slide the S19 into the A30 sideways, but no, that isn't an option. I had to squeeze it in via the D shaped opening into the main compartment.
    It was a tight squeeze and felt awkward. If you had hard stuff inside the S19, like a water bottle for instance, I think it would be a right pain to get in and fiddly to get out, especially with other people waiting to be seated.
    One the S19 was in, there was not much space at all inside the main compartment. I think you could've got a small A30 packing cube in alongside, and maybe one more on top of the small end of the S19. Most of the unzipped side compartment was occupied. The second side compartment was available as normal.
    I took a couple of pics which I hope illustrate this.
    Since the A45 is quite a bit bigger, it might be a better combination - I don't have one to try, but maybe another forum member can help you out with this.
    Hope this helps.
    In the pic: original halcyon S19 with Iberian lining and burnt orange A30 with NWS lining.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    Which bag are you going to carry on your shoulder full time? You do have 2 backpacks basically. I don't know how comfortable traveling that way would be...
    I'll have the Synapse within the Aeronaut when I have both of them, so I'm only handling one bag when going through the airports and streets. I'll use the Synapse on its own when we're out and about in the cities.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Ok, I tried a Synapse 19 packed with squishy stuff in an Aeronaut 30 and it was really awkward.
    I hadn't realised before that the unzip into the side compartment feature works by bulging the main compartment into the side compartment. I had thought that if I undid the zip I could slide the S19 into the A30 sideways, but no, that isn't an option. I had to squeeze it in via the D shaped opening into the main compartment.
    It was a tight squeeze and felt awkward. If you had hard stuff inside the S19, like a water bottle for instance, I think it would be a right pain to get in and fiddly to get out, especially with other people waiting to be seated.
    One the S19 was in, there was not much space at all inside the main compartment. I think you could've got a small A30 packing cube in alongside, and maybe one more on top of the small end of the S19. Most of the unzipped side compartment was occupied. The second side compartment was available as normal.
    I took a couple of pics which I hope illustrate this.
    Since the A45 is quite a bit bigger, it might be a better combination - I don't have one to try, but maybe another forum member can help you out with this.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much! It does help, I think the Aeronaut 30 is just too small for what I'll need.