Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How big are the shop bags?

Hey I was wondering if someone can measure for me please the total length a large and small shop bag and pop rope can “hang”. i.e. stretching out the bottom and the handle how tall is the bag.

Picture to explain it.

I ask cos I’m hobbit proportion and my wife is a dwarf hobbit so wondering if shop bags are too big for us to carry in hands. Will they hang to low and touch the floor with stuff in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at work, so I can't measure, but I'm 5'5" tall and if I carry a large shop bag in my hand, it almost touches the floor. However, I'm more likely to carry them with bent arms (from car to house), or over my shoulder. They're good for over the shoulder carry, which is the main reason for the length of the handle. You may be fine with the small shop bag carried with bent arm or over the shoulder.

Also, you could sew a fold in each side of the handles to shorten them.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 10-25-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    Hey I was wondering if someone can measure for me please the total length a large and small shop bag and pop rope can “hang”. i.e. stretching out the bottom and the handle how tall is the bag.

Picture to explain it.

I ask cos I’m hobbit proportion and my wife is a dwarf hobbit so wondering if shop bags are too big for us to carry in hands. Will they hang to low and touch the floor with stuff in them?

Actually quite tricky to do this accurately as the TB handles, which are Poron padded are squared off plus the fact that the Shop Bag bottoms are "shaped", but roughly 54cm for Small and 60cm for the Large. I am 5' 4" and can carry both sizes, reasonably laden, without them touching the floor and both comfortably on my shoulder BUT I think a lot may depend upon the length of your arms!
    I hope that is of some help!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 5'7" and the Large does sometimes bump the ground when fully loaded. Proceed with caution!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    plus the fact that the Shop Bag bottoms are "shaped"
    I don't think I've ever seen much "sag" in the bottoms, but maybe because I'm trying to puzzle as many items in there, it's packed fairly solid?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As discussed, it is super hard to get an exact measurement, but I tried to get a maximum measurement. I came up with 29" from handle to absolute bottom of the bag, as if the bag were weighed down with a melon in the centre compartment.

When you are testing this yourself make sure at your knees are slightly bent as when walking, as I can stand without a LSB touching the ground but when I walk I guess I bend my knees enough to make it bump sometimes.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post

Picture to explain it.

I'm 4' 11" and the small shop bags are the perfect size for me. The handles are long enough that I can carry the bag on my shoulder. If I carry the bag in my hand there's plenty of clearance between the bottom of the bag and the ground. I have seen pics of the large shop bag that lead me to believe that the handles are too long for me and the bag would drag on the ground. If you want a bigger shopping bag I recommend the Truck. It's a great bag that holds a lot of stuff and, best of all, it's horizontal design means that the handles aren't too long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I am 5'7" and the Large does sometimes bump the ground when fully loaded. Proceed with caution!

Same here - my large shop bag has a small hole from grazing the ground :-(
    I have three small ones which I much prefer .. also if someone else is doing the packing, the large can get VERY heavy.
    List under construction ....

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! As supected the LSB is not for us. The SSB and Truck is not available to order so it looks like I’ll just use the reusable supermarket option. Saves me some coin. How big are the shop bags?How big are the shop bags? my order has been placed and now I’ll wait for the coyote to come back in for bags before I spend more money How big are the shop bags?

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I think the Truck is the most perfect grocery bag in existence, and it is 100% worth getting one when they're back in stock.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar