Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Chicagoland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Synapse to Gift My No Good Son? (Wordy Warning)

Wow. Yall like bags, huh? Bravo. Jumping in wordily to plumb the vast knowledge..

STATUS: Im buying a Synapse for my nogoodnik (said with love) 20something son for Christmas.

BACKGROUND:
    Sonny GRIEVing a very old, beloved, beyond repair REI brand backpack. The deceased is a smidge bigger than a Synapse19, so hes naturally gravitating toward that. However, obsessive mother has done a deep enough forum dive to know that a Synapse25 would be recommended for a 15 MacBook...but that some here may have flouted that rule.

(The 17 inch high REI bag has a padded laptop compartment, so 15 MacBook is cuddled naked. Synapse19 is 16 inches high and Synapse25 is 20 inches high.)

BURNING QUESTIONS:

1. Anybody know if the Tom Bihn cache for 15 would fit in a Synapse19, even though not offered in the drop down?

2. If no, anybody know if a thinner sleeve would do the trick? I know: probable heresy here.

3. Sonny took a murky Things Photo (laptop, mouse, hard drive, camera, cords for all, headphones, sketch pad, pens, neurotic sunscreen collection). Probably forgot to add the always-present water bottle; probably carries a grocery bag ... snacks ... errant nogoodnik detritus.

Which Synapse to Gift My No Good Son? (Wordy Warning)-f5c69a66-e9d5-46ce-aada-c1f1de4b7be4-jpeg

LIFESTYLE
    -Six feet tall; 130 pounds. No, not a typo.
    -Los Angeles, so no rain/cold carries.
    -Los Angeles, but no car. Uses Metro, bus, bike to reach 1. daily part-time job as motion designer, 2. ad agencies for freelance gigs meeting. Walks a lot. Things he still lives in Chicago.
    -Business environments paperless, grunge casual, no travel.
    -Occasional tourist travel.
    -Wants to start day-hiking more.
    -Always needs laptop and its accessories for work, but uses backpack sans laptop ALL THE TIME...glued to his scrawny back. Hence, his hankering for smaller.

tl;dr: Is the Synapse25 overkill for these purposes? If so, is the 19 even doable?

I defer to the collective sageness, i.e. yall.
    Gracias.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @WinifredBanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I would recommend the Synapse 25 for this use case. While the items you describe can be carried in the Synapse 19 (I do carry the current generation 15" MacBook Pro in a vertical Cache inside the Synapse 19, but the earlier generation 15" MacBook Pro's are slightly larger and can put a strain on the zipper), I think that the Synapse 25 would be a better fit for both the items and his size.

The design of the Synapse also lends itself to looking great even when it isn't fully packed. The extra space is really nice if you need to toss a jacket or sweater in there (perhaps not needed in L.A., but when he's traveling .
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    The design of the Synapse also lends itself to looking great even when it isn't fully packed. The extra space is really nice if you need to toss a jacket or sweater in there (perhaps not needed in L.A., but when he's traveling .
    The S25 sounds like a great fit for him and if he uses it for more day hiking, it's good for carrying lunch, other gear, etc.
    Concur with @Maverick that one of the nice features is that it looks good underpacked
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For his height and use the S25 will be perfect!

Aisle seat
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the S25. Use mine almost daily and it sounds it would be perfect for what you are describing.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a serious S19 aficionado (currently in asia doing my second S19-only vacation) and I would definitely recommend the S25 if a 15 MacBook is a regular carry item.

The 15 is just big enough to pull on the shape of the bag and make the main compartment flatten out, so not much else would fit. I used to carry a bare 15 MBP but switched to the most recent 13 and have now no such carry issues.

Chicagoland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the replies. A Synapse 25 it is. Now he’s dithering over the color.

Maybe I’ll throw in a couplethree organizing doo-dads. Hard to resist the lure of those O-rings. Brilliant play, Company.

(My son would be the first to admit that he would benefit from tethering his brain to his bag, but I’m not seeing an option for that...)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Synapse 25 for his size.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your post! I agree that an S25 would be better size laptop for what he carries. My son, same height but literally twice as big as yours, got an S25 from us one Christmas. He carries a 17 laptop in a cache in it, and uses it as his carry on bag when he travels. It has loads of room yet looks slim.

My mother, who has an older, thicker MacBook Pro 15, carried hers in a Daylight Backpack on a trip to Europe a few years ago. I wouldnt necessarily recommend that route since your son is hauling more stuff, but it does fit. I have been using the Daylight Backpack recently as my go-to bag for carrying two 13 computers to work. That bag is a real marvel of engineering. So sturdy and comfortable yet light as a feather and packs down to nothing. It goes with me on every trip as my computer and day bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Dont make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, dont hesitate to make it beautiful. Shaker Philosophy

Chicagoland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Love your post! I agree that an S25 would be better size laptop for what he carries. My son, same height but literally twice as big as yours, got an S25 from us one Christmas. He carries a 17” laptop in a cache in it, and uses it as his carry on bag when he travels. It has loads of room yet looks slim.

My mother, who has an older, thicker MacBook Pro 15”, carried hers in a Daylight Backpack on a trip to Europe a few years ago. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that route since your son is hauling more stuff, but it does fit. I have been using the Daylight Backpack recently as my go-to bag for carrying two 13” computers to work. That bag is a real marvel of engineering. So sturdy and comfortable yet light as a feather and packs down to nothing. It goes with me on every trip as my computer and day bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you! A unanimous vote, it seems.

Under the category of “Killing two backpacks with one credit card”: while researching the Synapse, my cart has managed to fill up with all manner of gifts and lovelies and maybe-just-maybe a Daylight Backpack for MeMeMe. Haven’t carried a backpack in eons, but every damn time I travel, I bi...erm...complain about my shoulder hurting from carting around a messenger-style personal item cum day bag. Even practically empty, it annoys. (Back in the day, our dehydrated selves didn’t cart water bottles everywhere. Also, word has it I was younger then...)

This place is (co-dependently) dangerous.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WinifredBanks View Post
    This place is (co-dependently) dangerous.
    We (the enablers) are here for you!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...