Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tri Star & Western Flyer Luggage strap question

I am in the process of picking my Christmas present. Considering Tri Star or Western Flyer. I figure each can handle a two night trip with an extra pair of shoes.

Leaning Western Flyer because Tri Star just seems too big as this will also be my daily commute bag. Laptop, camera, noise canceling headphones, book, cables, files, etc.

Having said that I am unclear on if either or both of these bags has the luggage strap that allows it to ride on top of a rolling bag over the handles so it does not fall off.

Any pictures or information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @mcnerd!

Welcome to the forum! Both the Western Flyer and the Tri-Star are designed to be carried as either a backpack, as a briefcase (via the poron foam filled grab handles), or as a shoulder bag when a shoulder strap is attached.

Neither has a way to attach the bag to the telescoping handle of a suitcase. An earlier incarnation of the Western Flyer, sans backpack straps, included this feature.

Another way of attaching the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, or other bag to a rolling suitcase is to see if the suitcase includes an attachment point for this purpose (see attached image). This is how I see a number of members of the flight crew managing a second bag.

Also, I have heard it described that the telescoping handles are not designed to accommodate the tension that the weight of the bag places on them, although I have no first hand experience of the issues that can result.
    Attached Images Attached Images Tri Star & Western Flyer Luggage strap question-img_20181119_160026-jpg 
    -m

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a pinch, you can criss-cross the backpack straps if the handle is long enough for it to sit upright.

If you have a long walk ahead of you, you can wrap each backpack strap around one of the handle legs before fastening the strap and tightening it. Takes longer to remove, but a little more resistant to rotating around the handle.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WF is a bit big for a daily commute bag. It's a suitcase.

For your daily commute stuff, have you considered a Pilot? It does slip over the handle of a rolling suitcase.

I've also traveled for 3 days using just the Pilot. Of course I didn't bring extra shoes, and kept my electronics to a minimum, but the Pilot is a TARDIS on the inside.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General comments having owned both:

- TS is really big as a daily commute bag
    - WF is large but usable as a daily commute bag
    - Neither is really great as a daily commute bag and are more luggage than anything else
    - If you travel frequently and use them as a daily bag occasionally such as folks that work from home when not traveling, that works well
    - Neither has great EDC type organization on its own, needs add-ons
    - I think shoes are trickier with the WF vs TS but depends on the type and size
    - I find the WF for me maxes out at about 2 days/nights with gear and clothes. I usually don't travel with extra shoes for work though. Some folks can do longer.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was originally looking at a pilot, but wanted to do a true one-bag for all my needs, so ended up with WF.

At 6'-3", the "scale" feels good as a daily bag with plenty of storage for laptop, lunch, umbrella, windbreaker, Freudian Slip etc. Probably less ideal the shorter you get.

At size 12, packing shoes is difficult but not impossible.

With minimalist planning I have done 9 days mixed work/vacation carrying sneakers and flip-flops (4 days of underwear with washing).

So far carried it for about ~120 roundtrips, and every day at the office for nearly 5 years. Haven't looked back!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Also, I have heard it described that the telescoping handles are not designed to accommodate the tension that the weight of the bag places on them, although I have no first hand experience of the issues that can result.
    I also heard that placing a bag on top of the wheeled case also puts more strain on your wrist when pulling it. Although I think this applies to 2 wheeled which is pulled at an angle v 4 wheeled which can be wheeled upright.

I normally therefore carry a Western Flyer over my shoulder or in backpack mode in these situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)