Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which color for the new Road Buddy duffel?

Iíve decided to finally take the plunge and get a Tom Bihn travel bag after seeing the new Road Buddy with 36 litres. I already own a DLBP and SCB in Aubergine/Cloud, a SCB in Original Halcyon/Wasabi and a few accessories.

At the moment Iím using an old very basic black duffel which is 32 litres. I also have a small to medium sized rolling suitcase and a 40 litres hiking backpack. I prefer to take a backpack as a personal item and EDC on trips over a messenger bag. Itís simply more comfortable for my shoulders and I can carry my camera without a problem. So I donít need a travel bag which I can carry on my back, which makes the Road Buddy a great choice.

But now Iím really anxious about picking a color! Iíve been going back and forth between Black and Steel, and also coming back to Aubergine.

Black seems to be the safe choice. I think itís classy for a travel bag and goes with everything. I think itís timeless. I have a black ballistic OP and I like the look of it. It doesnít look cheap at all. I think it will still be fine to carry around years from now.

Steel seems to be the more interesting serious alternative to black. I donít like the pictures where it looks kinda like a flat medium to light grey, but there are also pictures where it looks more like the steel Q-kit I have here, darker and with a greenish tint. I really like that color, so if the new bag looks more like this... But Iím not sure I wouldnít get tired of it after a while. And I donít plan to buy another bag soon.

I love my Aubergine DLBP and SCB. Itís just such a happy color to me and it gets bonus points for being more visible in a good way. But I fear having the big bag also in Aubergine might be overkill and I will tire of it quicker. Or that it will look awkward to have color coordinated luggage. I donít know. When I just look at the stock pictures I like Aubergine best. But when I think about it in relation to my other bags and my wardrobe Iím not sure anymore.

Want to help me make a decision? Iíd be grateful.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Q-kits use the same 1050 ballistic nylon that's used for the Road Buddy. If you really like your steel Q-kit you will like a steel RB, I think. I have a steel Yeoman and I like the color; neutral but not boring black.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very personal decision, but I find that I like big pieces to be neutral, and bright colors in smaller ones.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shortie - I think I’ve read somewhere that the older steel fabric batches were more greenish and I’m not sure I don’t have one of those (bought a while ago).

Thanks luvdabags! Yes, that sounds logical. I haven’t seen any bigger TB bags IRL yet. But I have a rolling suitcase which is black. My hiking backpack is purple and red though! But that’s different because it’s gear and not luggage.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on team Steel. There are so many black bags out there. I prefer my steel one, as I can easily grab it from the airplane bin and have reasonable confidence that it is MINE. It is still neutral, and classic, but just a /little/ bit different from the ordinary.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Thanks Shortie - I think I’ve read somewhere that the older steel fabric batches were more greenish and I’m not sure I don’t have one of those (bought a while ago).

Thanks luvdabags! Yes, that sounds logical. I haven’t seen any bigger TB bags IRL yet. But I have a rolling suitcase which is black. My hiking backpack is purple and red though! But that’s different because it’s gear and not luggage.
    Luckily I am packing for vacation right now and had my Yeoman handy (purchased earlier this year.) And my new Nebulous Gray SK was delivered today (love Nebulous!) Here's a pic to show you what everyone means when they say that Steel is greenish. Steel Yeoman on the left, Nebulous Gray Side Kick on the lower right, and Northwest Sky OP on the upper right. Which color for the new Road Buddy duffel?-1-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shortie - I think Iíve read somewhere that the older steel fabric batches were more greenish and Iím not sure I donít have one of those (bought a while ago).

Thanks luvdabags! Yes, that sounds logical. I havenít seen any bigger TB bags IRL yet. But I have a rolling suitcase which is black. My hiking backpack is purple and red though! But thatís different because itís gear and not luggage.
    Yes, in the past there have been batches of Steel with a greenish hue.

You can ask TB to send you fabric swatches in any color, for free! That might help give you an idea of what it looks like these days.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sturbridge.- that's true, lots of black bags out there.

Shortie, awesome, thanks for the picture! The color of my Q-Kit looks similar, but seems darker. Might be the light though.

Cristina, unfortunately I'm in Germany, so I will need to decide without the swatches. And ordering two colors and then returning one isn't an option either!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have Steel in a variety of items from different batches of materials - some have the greenish tint and some don't. They don't clash when they're next to each other and they change depending on the light (and I like all of them).
    To me, Steel coordinates with just about everything. It's a neutral that isn't the same old black bag that everyone has.

EDIT: My A45, WF, & Pilot are in Steel, but my current A30 is in Navy. It's another great colour, not as bright as it looks on screen but not boring.
    (Adding more options is probably not helping you though!!)
    Last edited by G42; 11-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the old road duffle in aubergine and I think the bag carries the color well. But it does stand out, even though it's a dark color. I've seen steel with aubergine and I think the combination works well. You might email customer support and ask which version of steel they have right now, the greenish one or the medium grey.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sturbridge.- that's true, lots of black bags out there.

Shortie, awesome, thanks for the picture! The color of my Q-Kit looks similar, but seems darker. Might be the light though.

Cristina, unfortunately I'm in Germany, so I will need to decide without the swatches. And ordering two colors and then returning one isn't an option either!
    They'll send you swatches in Germany! I'm in England.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with your gut! Don't overthink it. Don't try to match it to existing bags. Don't even think about what you already own.

When looking at the photos of the Road Buddy, which one is your favorite color? Which bag grabs you?

Personally, I'm team aubergine, because I think it's a great neutral, that looks different from everyone else's bag. And it goes with everything. I have A45, Road Duffle 36, Pilot and SK in aubergine and I never tire of the color. It's dark enough that it works as a neutral without being boring. Plus, I feel pulled together and coordinated when I'm carrying more than one bag.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-21-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings to a fellow German! Indeed, a very personal decision! I am on the navy team, all my large bags (except for a Yeoman Duffle which is in burnt orange) are in navy. Classic as black but more colourful. However, I am also considering to order a 36L Road Buddy in steel because I think it looks great with the black trim. Crossing fingers for the "right" decision :-)
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    ... my current A30 is in Navy. It's another great colour, not as bright as it looks on screen but not boring.
    (Adding more options is probably not helping you though!!)
    Nope, not thinking about the navy. It's lovely, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't speak to me as much as the other colors do...

Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    You might email customer support and ask which version of steel they have right now, the greenish one or the medium grey.
    I've done that! Just to be sure. I'll let you know once I have an answer. Btw, the steel RB stock photo looks more like my Q-kit when I look at the picture on my work monitor (not my phone or ipad).

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    They'll send you swatches in Germany! I'm in England.
    Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware of that!

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Go with your gut! Don't overthink it. Don't try to match it to existing bags. Don't even think about what you already own.

When looking at the photos of the Road Buddy, which one is your favorite color? Which bag grabs you?

Personally, I'm team aubergine, because I think it's a great neutral, that looks different from everyone else's bag. And it goes with everything. I have A45, Road Duffle 36, Pilot and SK in aubergine and I never tire of the color. It's dark enough that it works as a neutral without being boring. Plus, I feel pulled together and coordinated when I'm carrying more than one bag.
    Alright, if you ask like that then it's the Aubergine, followed by Steel, with Black coming in third. But I'm good a overthinking things, it's hard to stop... I think black is now out. But I'm still unsure about Aubergine and Steel. If I try to consider both my heart and my rational thinking, the Steel seems the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Greetings to a fellow German! Indeed, a very personal decision! I am on the navy team, all my large bags (except for a Yeoman Duffle which is in burnt orange) are in navy. Classic as black but more colourful. However, I am also considering to order a 36L Road Buddy in steel because I think it looks great with the black trim. Crossing fingers for the "right" decision :-)
    Navy is great, but not for me. I agree about the steel looking great with the black trim!

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's between Burnt Orange and Steel for me. OK and maybe Aubergine, though I have a big Yeoman in Aubergine. Argh, verbalizing that didn't help at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast