Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your favorite EDC AND WHY???

I love having a small crossbody (currently using the Sidekick), but I do tend to over-stuff it, and having a Galaxy Note 8 doesn't help, either.

So I've got my eye on the Maker's Bag, or possibly the co-pilot. I do have a large Cafe bag, but that doesn't seem to work so well for me. I think I want more organization.

I'd love to be able to occasionally carry some sheet music (manila-size folder, usually), and possibly an ipad or 13-inch MacBook -- but oh, no, then I'd be over-stuffing again!

So what is your favorite EDC, and whey? What do you keep in it, how do you organize it?
    Last edited by Izzy; 12-09-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bag that is one size up to the SK is the Daylight Briefcase.

Both feel pretty much the same as purses, except the Daylight Briefcase is bigger.

Both the Co-Pilot and the Maker bag are significantly larger, but I don't have either, I do hope that people who have them will chime in.

Borrow, if you can, your son's Maker Bag, fill it up with your items and see how you feel carrying it for a day.

The Co-Pilot is more boxy, very, very cute, like a 60's purse.

You could always get the Daylight Briefcase and the Co-Pilot, try them on and send back the one you like the least.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-09-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as a guy, I'm lucky that my EDC is really, really lightweight. Basically just my Dash wallet, my iPhone and my Walmart cheapo multi-tool.

But, if I'm travelling for work, then I need to be able to pack along my 14" work issued PC. For that, I'll change it up depending on my mood between my DLBC and my Pilot. I love the compactness of DLBC, but for those places where I might bring along both my coffee and a water bottle or two, I can't beat the versatility of the Pilot.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    Well, as a guy, I'm lucky that my EDC is really, really lightweight. Basically just my Dash wallet, my iPhone and my Walmart cheapo multi-tool.
    That's pretty much my EDC too, but, as a woman, I generally don't have any pockets that can actually carry that. *grumble grumble grumble*

I love my DLBC for days when I'm working around town. The slim profile means you CAN'T overstuff it, but it remains, like all TB bags, surprisingly capacious. The organization is just right for my purposes - the only thing I would add is a pen slot somewhere, but the front divided pockets are small enough that you can put pens loose in there without losing them. The back zipped pocket can be left open for larger flat items (like sheet music, possibly) that might not fit in the main compartment.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase | GYM: Medium Road Duffel | TRAVEL: Smart Alec | EVERYTHING ELSE: Large Shop Bags

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't help you choose a new bag (unless the gods smile and they revive the design), but my favorite EDC is my Imago.

It's funny you mention your phone, because of course the side pockets of the Imago were designed pre-phablet. I think my first two iPhones (3G and 4) fit, with minimalist cases, but my current phone doesn't. I use those pockets for Luna Bars now.

The best thing about it is that my EDC stuff can basically fit in the outer front and inner front pockets, plus a small organizer pouch. That leaves a lot of room in the main compartment, and in the rear slip pocket. Like MacGyver: "The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I journeyed through the Daylights and Pilots and the Synapses, and returned to my first love: the Smart Alec.

The size and shape make it an extremely comfortable bag to carry, and the bucket-like interior means that I can easily pack in items like a rain jacket or extra flats in a way that keeps them handy but not in the way, and without cramming them into a smaller pocket. I did add a Medium Cafe Freudian Slip, and that's made a huge difference in at-a-glance organization. With a Travel Cubelet inside as my every day PLO, and a Small Shop Bag in one of the side pockets, I'm pretty much ready for anything.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately I've been loving the small cafe bag (for my stuff) paired with an s19 for my kid's stuff.
    Cafe bag has the usual "purse" stuff.
    s19 has a change of clothes for the 5 year old, a small first aid kid, a small squishy kids toilet seat, a couple of reusable water bottles (one for him, one for me) and often an ipad mini and/or yumbox bento.
    If we're going to be out all day, I'll sometimes change to an s19 instead.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry an Imago for my work EDC like kathryn above. It carries some folders, phone charger, sunglasses in case and my Travel Cubelet which is my removable PLO. I carry lunch in a Zest TT. I don't put anything in the side pockets though they are perfect for a Q-kit. I have a Maker's Bag too which is likely even more functional than the Imago, but I just love the front flap design of the Imago.

I use a Co-Pilot or Pilot at times (both in original Nordic which is my favorite TB fabric) and they are great, but just a little more fiddly with the zippered sections. I'm more of a "stash things in a bit haphazardly" than an "everything in its place" kind of packer (probably why I enjoy the A45 more than the WF).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my aubergine maker bag for my work EDC - I use a MCB FS for extra organization, and to swap into a MCB when I want to, but during the week, it's pretty much only my MB. I like that it is large enough to accomodate my 15" work laptop when I take it home (which I don't everyday), and can pretty much hold anything I need. It easily accommodates my 13" macbook pro, ipad, and school notebooks, but doesn't look huge. I would rather create the organization I need, rather than need to accomodate built-in organization which is why the Pilot/Co-Pilot just aren't good options for me.

My weekend EDC is my viridian Travel Cubelet - no one is more surprised than I am that I've managed to pair my must carry items down to just a wallet and phone, but there you go. For the times that I need something larger than my TC but smaller than my MB, I have a MCB which was my first TB bag. I love my MCB, but since I can't fit my work laptop into it, it became impractical for my work EDC.

ETA: oh, you asked about organization - I use a MCB FS in my MB for organization. I like that I can also use it in my MCB, but really it was about the pocket configuration. I prefer the MCB version to the MB version. In my FS, I have my work badge, ear buds, hearing aids, pens, pills, and reusable shopping bags. I keep my wallet #4 clipped to a keystrap and tucked in one of the interior pockets of the MB, and I have a cloth wipe for my classes clipped to another interior o-ring. I don't really use the bottle holders on each side of the bag for anything, though one side does hold the gatekeeper straps because while I don't think I'll ever use them, they disappear into that pocket in the very off chance that I need them.
    Last edited by jessmakes; 12-10-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    A45 - Black Halcyon/NWS MB - Aubergine/NWS MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! TC - Viridian TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a LCB or MCB in original Nordic.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Sidekick, but it's mostly empty. It has an Allett (with O ring and keystrap attached), my keys, a pen, and a Flip & Tumble 24 x 7 bag in case of shopping emergencies, because the bag folds down to nothing. I love my TB shop bags, but I only have them on me when I know I'm going shopping.

If I need to carry a computer, then I switch up to my Pilot.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GoRuck GR1 21L
    Inside: Tom Bihn Large Zip Top Shop Bag, Echo Field Pocket, D rings with TB keystraps attached for additional pouches
    Slant pocket: Wire Dopp or Medium Clear Double Organizer Pouch (when traaveling--for documents)
    Outside: Mini Heroclip, Climbing carabiner, reflective flag patch
    Modular: A30 Small packing cube, Clear Double Organizer Pouch (small), Clear Organizer Pouch (pens), Side Effect, Clear 3DOP

I thought that my EDC bag would be the S25 when I purchased it and the GR1 at the same time. I thought I needed all of the external organization. But I came to live without it and loved the simplicity of the exterior where the interior was just a cavern to use as I wished. It helps that the A30 packing cube is basically the perfect size for the GR1 because GoRuck's own packing cubes are far too large.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    GoRuck GR1 21L
    Inside: Tom Bihn Large Zip Top Shop Bag, Echo Field Pocket, D rings with TB keystraps attached for additional pouches
    Slant pocket: Wire Dopp or Medium Clear Double Organizer Pouch (when traaveling--for documents)
    Outside: Mini Heroclip, Climbing carabiner, reflective flag patch
    Modular: A30 Small packing cube, Clear Double Organizer Pouch (small), Clear Organizer Pouch (pens), Side Effect, Clear 3DOP

I thought that my EDC bag would be the S25 when I purchased it and the GR1 at the same time. I thought I needed all of the external organization. But I came to live without it and loved the simplicity of the exterior where the interior was just a cavern to use as I wished. It helps that the A30 packing cube is basically the perfect size for the GR1 because GoRuck's own packing cubes are far too large.
    How big is the mini hero clip?

I had purchased the regular size last year thinking it would be a little bigger than a regular carabineer size and that thing is huge! I had intended to use it at concerts where the bathrooms are usually in poor condition with no hook for purses, but I doubt something that size would be let inside.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    It took forever, but they finally came out with smaller sizes... I did the Indigogo campaign and only received mine a couple weeks ago

Here are the updated sizes:

https://myheroclip.com/pages/whats-heroclip

I have a mini now on my S19
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post

I had purchased the regular size last year thinking it would be a little bigger than a regular carabineer size and that thing is huge! I had intended to use it at concerts where the bathrooms are usually in poor condition with no hook for purses, but I doubt something that size would be let inside.

This might give you a better idea:
    What is your favorite EDC AND WHY???-ae672875-c1b6-4345-a757-ee8511896123-jpeg

This is the Mini size next to one of the new Nik minimalist wallet presentation cards (i.e. credit card sized)
    There is also a Small size.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-11-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    This might give you a better idea:
    What is your favorite EDC AND WHY???-ae672875-c1b6-4345-a757-ee8511896123-jpeg

This is the Mini size next to one of the new Nik minimalist wallet presentation cards (i.e. credit card sized)
    There is also a Small size.

HTH

moriond
    Thanks! That's just the size I was after!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast