Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-pilot vs Parental Unit for non-parental EDC?

Just when I thought I'd decided on a co-pilot, I took a look at how the Parental Unit can be used for so much more than a diaper bag!

Advantages/disadvantages to each?

Comfort? Convenience?

Decisions, decisions....
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Just when I thought I'd decided on a co-pilot, I took a look at how the Parental Unit can be used for so much more than a diaper bag!

Advantages/disadvantages to each?

Comfort? Convenience?

Decisions, decisions....
    Capacity wise, the PU is more similar to the Pilot which I also use, just .5L difference but I personally find the PU to be more flexible in what I can carry in it. However it feels bigger overall, I think because of the organisation.
    The Co-Pilot is smaller, being only 10L. (The PU is 13.5L, the Pilot 13L) and much "tighter" in organisation.
    I opted for the Pilot over the CP but I do use a PU as well.
    Also the PU does not have a top carry handle like the Pilot or Co-Pilot, so it might depend on how you want to carry it.
    It is easy to shorten the shoulder strap to make it easier to carry in the hand though.
    Perhaps you could try both?

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a parental unit for a while, for EDC purposes. Its good for someone with a lot of small loose items. It didn't work for me because I tend to have sub containers that didn't really fit well and bulged out the pockets. I move my sub containers from bag to bag, rather than just having one dedicated bag. It would also be good to use as a craft bag where you wanted different pockets for different types of materials.

As I've used and either retained or sold off bags, I've come to learn there are 2 major types of packers: there's the everything in its place packer, and then there's the throw it all into one large container packer (ME!). The parental unit is good for the first type.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    Capacity wise, the PU is more similar to the Pilot which I also use, just .5L difference but I personally find the PU to be more flexible in what I can carry in it. However it feels bigger overall, I think because of the organisation.
    The Co-Pilot is smaller, being only 10L. (The PU is 13.5L, the Pilot 13L) and much "tighter" in organisation.
    I opted for the Pilot over the CP but I do use a PU as well.
    Also the PU does not have a top carry handle like the Pilot or Co-Pilot, so it might depend on how you want to carry it.
    It is easy to shorten the shoulder strap to make it easier to carry in the hand though.
    Perhaps you could try both?
    While not a top carry handle, the PU does have pull out short handles which can be used to grab the bag when the top is unzipped. That made a great improvement on the 2nd generation PU. Also, the PU does curve against one's body more comfortably, imo, that the pilots. Finally, not every pocket has to be used. I get into the mindset "if it's there it must be used". Your choice will depend on what you carry. Finally, the pilots have that boxy look of luggage. Is that an ok EDC look for you?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk