Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: De-odorizing

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De-odorizing

So I was walking home one day last week, and a skunk and I met unexpectedly. It didn't end well.

I had the misfortunate to be carrying FOUR Tom Bihn bags at the time. The outer one, a large shop bag, went into the trash, along with my winter coat, gloves, shoes, scarf, and anything else directly in the line of fire. For the other three, I have been washing them for days. First I tried a long ammonia soak, which was pretty awful, and a hand-wash with Tide. After that didn't work, it was a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. After another wash and dry, they are still quite skunky. I can't deal with the loss of my zippered small shop bag and small cafe bag! Any advice on other things to try?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no! I have no particular advice, but I wish you luck.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB used to have a product called MiraZyme for skunk odors as well as other kinds of olfactory unpleasantness.

I don't see it anymore on the website but there's another product called "GearAid ReviveX".

I can't speak to one over the other but it's worth a try

https://www.tombihn.com/products/mir...nt=29062242759

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a couple of things. Whip-it from Bed Bath and Beyond or Spray 9. Finish with this and you should be fine.

You'll also have a nice assortment of cleaners for the future. Whip it removed some ancient unknown stains from a sofa that I had tried everything else on and the Industrial odor eliminator did quick work on a skunk incident my son had.

If there is a residual smell, then use some unscented Fabreze and hang the bag out to dry in the sun. Good luck and keep us posted.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @ceb! I actually bought the industrial strength powder already. I've been using it to deodorize my house and hallways (and I believe it's working), but didn't think about using it on fabric. I will give it a try! And if needed will try the other products.

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Try a couple of things. Whip-it from Bed Bath and Beyond or Spray 9. Finish with this and you should be fine.

You'll also have a nice assortment of cleaners for the future. Whip it removed some ancient unknown stains from a sofa that I had tried everything else on and the Industrial odor eliminator did quick work on a skunk incident my son had.

If there is a residual smell, then use some unscented Fabreze and hang the bag out to dry in the sun. Good luck and keep us posted.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    This is a recipe for use on pets fur. I'm not sure if it will fade colors on fabric so a test on an inconspicuous spot is recommended.

SKUNK SOAP
    Blend 1 pint of hydrogen peroxide with 2 T baking soda and 1/2 t liquid soap or dishwashing detergent.
    Take a rag and rub this solution on your pet’s fur, keeping it away from eyes, nose and mouth. Then rinse thoroughly. It works ever so much better than tomato juice on skunk smell.

T is tablespoon
    t is teaspoon

Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the above Skunk soap recipe, I would consider adding a couple of drops of a citrus-containing essential oil blend (any brand-- I do not sell oils). I like Eden's Garden "Purify" blend, which is a combination of grapefruit, eucalyptus, lemongrass, lime, and lemon. But I've never tried on skunk.

When our dog got skunked several years ago, we used the above Skunk Soap, and it was VERY helpful, but we had to do it several times, and for about a year, he still smelled skunky whenever he got wet.

We tried the tomato juice thing, and he just smelled like a skunk in an Italian restaurant.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    To the above Skunk soap recipe, I would consider adding a couple of drops of a citrus-containing essential oil blend (any brand-- I do not sell oils). I like Eden's Garden "Purify" blend, which is a combination of grapefruit, eucalyptus, lemongrass, lime, and lemon. But I've never tried on skunk.

When our dog got skunked several years ago, we used the above Skunk Soap, and it was VERY helpful, but we had to do it several times, and for about a year, he still smelled skunky whenever he got wet.

We tried the tomato juice thing, and he just smelled like a skunk in an Italian restaurant.
    Funny. Very funny.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.