Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    123
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Empire Builder --does it really weigh FOUR POUNDS?

    I'm worried that the copilot my hubby is getting for Christmas is not going to be big enough for his laptop AND the papers he grades, so I was looking at the Empire Builder (Valentine's Day is just around the corner!). And the description says it's FOUR POUNDS.

    Please tell me that's either a misprint, or that it includes a really heavy box and a lot of packing paper, because that's almost as much as a "light" bowling ball, and I know he won't want to carry that...

    I think my Synapse is on the heavy side, and that's only 1 pound 13 ounces...
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    89
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it really weighs that much. That's why I switched from an Empire Builder to a Cadet, which I recommend.

    The stated weight may include the plastic dividers, but even without them, it still weighs a lot. And holds a lot. A lot more than I carry. Another reason why I switched.

    Its a great bag if you need its capacity and capabilities.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    247
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Co-Pilot is what you want, but you need a little bigger, then what about the Pilot? Same design, just bigger. It accommodates my work laptop with room to spare, should be able to handle some papers.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    242
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I was looking at the Empire Builder (Valentine's Day is just around the corner!). And the description says it's FOUR POUNDS.

    Please tell me that's either a misprint, or that it includes a really heavy box and a lot of packing paper, because that's almost as much as a "light" bowling ball, and I know he won't want to carry that...
    Yep, the EB is large and heavy: its front, back, bottom, and sides are padded and stiffened by 1/4" of closed-cell foam.

    It is also more than twice the size of the CP.

    The EB is a really nice bag... but, unless you need that much capacity and padding on a daily basis, though, I'd second the recommendation of the Cadet for an EDC laptop bag that can also accommodate papers.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    242
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give you a sense of their sizes...

    Empire Builder --does it really weigh FOUR POUNDS?-img_1287-jpg

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    123
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad, I got him a Pilot AND a Co-Pilot, and he wants the Pilot (so I get the Co-Pilot!). Miraculously, the Pilot DOES swallow his 15-inch laptop and his papers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    If the Co-Pilot is what you want, but you need a little bigger, then what about the Pilot? Same design, just bigger. It accommodates my work laptop with room to spare, should be able to handle some papers.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Indiana
    Posts
    195
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    My bad, I got him a Pilot AND a Co-Pilot, and he wants the Pilot (so I get the Co-Pilot!).
    Funny how that worked out! Give him first dibs, you get the other one!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •