Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Bihn EDC Decision Help: Side Kick, Side Effect, or SCB

Hi, new fan to the Tom Bihn brand...just got an Aubergine/NW Sky S19. My ideal is Aubergine with UV inside

Anyway, I want to get an EDC Tom Bihn. I usually carry: Kindle Oasis in a case, 18oz Hydroflask, asthma inhaler, small wallet, small card holder, keys, lip gloss, and in winter...scarf and gloves. Please help me decide. TIA

P.S. Anyone know which Qkit will fit an inhaler?

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An inhaler fits in a mini Q-Kit. For an EDC have you looked at the Cafe bags or Luminary 10? A Side Kick would probably work for everything but the Hydroflask.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wear a small size hat and scarf, made of lightweight fabric, the Side Kick or the Small Cafe Bag could fit all of the objects.

If you wear medium or plus size hat and scarf or/and, they are made of bulky fabric, like Polartec, a Daylight Briefcase or a Medium Cafe Bag would be better.

I choose those because they are the best if you plan to use them with the S19.

I don't think a Side Effect can hold, an electronic device, bigger than one of the smaller phones.

I don't know about the water bottle because I have a really big one that get its own novelty pouch, which is clipped outside of my EDC. I also use a Travel Stuff Sack for smaller bottles.

I do that because, some time ago, I placed S19 upright, next to my conference chair, when I was not there, somebody put it on my chair, on its side.
    I had improperly closed my big reusable water bottle and it had leaked. Luckily it was only a third full with a very weak peach color beverage.

It was user error, but a bother to be without my EDC for a week.
    Note that it usually takes half an hour, or less to clean a Tom Bihn Bag perfectly with mild dish soap and water and a day or two to dry, depending on the climate TB owners live.

But, that juice had a weak color but lots of sugar and I wanted to remove all trace of that before it could ruin the bag. So, I washed it thoroughly when I came back home, waited for it to dry, inspected it a couple of days later, saw that it was nice and clean, but there was still a faint peach color remaining, so I washed it again and another time after that.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-25-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    An inhaler fits in a mini Q-Kit. For an EDC have you looked at the Cafe bags or Luminary 10? A Side Kick would probably work for everything but the Hydroflask.
    Thanks for the reply re: mini Qkit. Small Cafe bag is one of the bags I was looking at. Really love the horizontal look of the Side Kick and Side effect, though.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Thanks for the reply re: mini Qkit. Small Cafe bag is one of the bags I was looking at. Really love the horizontal look of the Side Kick and Side effect, though.
    Perhaps a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag would be what you're looking for, then--it's horizontal like the Side Kick and Side Effect, but bigger. They're not currently available but I think they're supposed to be back early in 2019 after being redesigned. (And we've been told they'll be available in some of the newer ballistic colors! I don't remember if it's going to be just the 210 Ballistic colors or if it will also be the 525 Ballistic colors.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kindle Oasis: A Side Effect will, shockingly, fit a Kindle Paperwhite, but I believe the Oasis is notably wider than the the Paperwhite, so you'd need to size up to a Side Kick for sure.

18oz Hydroflask: This is definitely too large (probably in both height and diameter) for a Side Effect or Side Kick, but will fit very neatly in a Small Cafe bag alongside your other stuff.

Scarf and gloves: If these are thin, it'll probably be possible to cram them into a Side Kick, but a chunky knitted scarf is not going to fit very well. You'd definitely have more luck with a Small Cafe bag.

My Small Cafe bag was my EDC for a long time, but now I prefer either my Side Kick (if not taking my 20oz bottle with me) or my Medium Cafe bag (which much more comfortably swallows both my bottle and any winter gear I want to shed indoors). I love the Small Cafe bag but it's just kind of stuck in an in-between limbo for me at the moment. Still, it will comfortably handle your EDC load!
    Last edited by EmeraldYam; 12-26-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Aeronaut 30