Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which size zip-top shop bag to carry a packed daylight backpack inside?

I'm looking into getting a daylight backpack to use as an airplane personal item, but my primary carry-on will be an Aeronaut 45 worn backpack style.

I was reading through the forum and a few people have recommended putting the backpack into a shop bag so you can carry it like a tote around the airport. I like that idea, but I'm not sure what size would work best. I prefer the zip-tops for extra security and it would serve better as a stand-alone bag. I would want the entire daylight to fit inside and I would zip it shut.

Another question...how is the ballistic shop bag compared to the halcyon? I think I like that better than the halcyon ones since it seems like it would blend in better (although the nws doesn't look bad).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always just carry the Daylight backpack by one hand... I have done that when wearing something on my back. Or you could try standing it up in the Pop Tote. Here is how it fits in that:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re going to bring both a Pop Tote (or a zip shop bag) and a DLBP on the trip, you should also consider just using the zippered tote as your personal item on the plane and packing away the DLBP until you get to your destination. The dlbp will of course fit in the a45 but you could also fold it and put it inside the PT with whatever you want to access during the flight.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    If youíre going to bring both a Pop Tote (or a zip shop bag) and a DLBP on the trip, you should also consider just using the zippered tote as your personal item on the plane and packing away the DLBP until you get to your destination. The dlbp will of course fit in the a45 but you could also fold it and put it inside the PT with whatever you want to access during the flight.
    That's a good point. My only concern with just using the zip shop bag is lack of organization. I have small items and pouches that I bring with me and it may get lost in there, I don't want to have to dig around for it. I can compartmentalize my stuff in the daylight and when I get to my seat, throw the shop bag into my daylight so I just need to worry about one bag under there. I can also use it to keep separate food or drink I may buy at the airport from my carry-on stuff so it won't get squished.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    That's a good point. My only concern with just using the zip shop bag is lack of organization. I have small items and pouches that I bring with me and it may get lost in there, I don't want to have to dig around for it. I can compartmentalize my stuff in the daylight and when I get to my seat, throw the shop bag into my daylight so I just need to worry about one bag under there. I can also use it to keep separate food or drink I may buy at the airport from my carry-on stuff so it won't get squished.

I recently got a medium Cafe Freudian slip, and it has totally changed the way that I use bags like the Pop Tote or the Daylight Backpack. It adds exactly the right amount of organization in a minimal amount of space. You might want to consider that as a potential accessory to any bag where you want more organization.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also hesitant about using a tote bag as a personal item. but the o-ring system totally solves all the black hole problems of a big bag like that. Just put the small stuff in smaller bags attached to the rings, and you can find everything really fast. Prevent things from just sinking to the bottom and disappearing.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    I recently got a medium Cafe Freudian slip, and it has totally changed the way that I use bags like the Pop Tote or the Daylight Backpack. It adds exactly the right amount of organization in a minimal amount of space. You might want to consider that as a potential accessory to any bag where you want more organization.
    How well does that work for bulky things? I say "small" stuff, but I have it corralled pretty well inside other bags, but it's still a mess of stuff: 3d organizer cube for toiletry stuff, snake charmer for cables, Nintendo switch in case, Kindle tablet, Kindle ebook reader, Bose nc headphones. I don't want to have to dig through a big bag to find my Bose headphones, for example. Then I have actual small things like my phone, boarding pass, etc. that I need to include as well and will need quick access to.

I've tried to use small duffle bags before and it was just a jumble of bags inside bags and it drive me nuts. I find a backpack is usually just the right mix of black hole space and organization.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    I was also hesitant about using a tote bag as a personal item. but the o-ring system totally solves all the black hole problems of a big bag like that. Just put the small stuff in smaller bags attached to the rings, and you can find everything really fast. Prevent things from just sinking to the bottom and disappearing.
    That's true, and these bags have some built in organization as well (side pockets), which is nice. I can always try it out and see how it goes.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pop tote as airplane personal item:

Which size zip-top shop bag to carry a packed daylight backpack inside?-img_20181228_124213-jpg
    From left to right:
    Left zip pocket: glasses wipe attached to key strap
    Left open pocket: pencil clear OP

Main compartment --
    Laptop charging cable in small OP directly attached to O ring
    In-flight necessities in travel tray (headphones, wipes, phone cables, mints, etc. I put it in the seat pocket when I sit down and it stays there the whole flight)
    Toiletries in clear 3DOC on 8 inch key strap
    Cubelet w/1st aid on 16 inch key strap (these two share an o ring)
    Laptop in the back (windows surface, 12.3 inch)

Right open pocket: ID and boarding pass
    Right zip pocket: sunglasses

Actually, I keep my 311 bag in my carry-on and carry a spill proof coffee mug/water bottle. But you get the idea. Basically, it's awesome. Not a messy jumble at all.

Edited to add -- this is only half full. Plenty of room for a sweater or jacket. I've flown eight (ish) times this year with this system and it works for me with the A30 as my carryon. You could definitely just carry a DLBP by the top handle and get good results, just not quite so comfy in your hand.
    Last edited by Lia; 12-28-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pop tote as airplane personal item:

Which size zip-top shop bag to carry a packed daylight backpack inside?-img_20181228_124213-jpg
    From left to right:
    Left zip pocket: glasses wipe attached to key strap
    Left open pocket: pencil clear OP

Main compartment --
    Laptop charging cable in small OP directly attached to O ring
    In-flight necessities in travel tray (headphones, wipes, phone cables, mints, etc. I put it in the seat pocket when I sit down and it stays there the whole flight)
    Toiletries in clear 3DOC on 8 inch key strap
    Cubelet w/1st aid on 16 inch key strap (these two share an o ring)
    Laptop in the back (windows surface, 12.3 inch)

Right open pocket: ID and boarding pass
    Right zip pocket: sunglasses

Actually, I keep my 311 bag in my carry-on and carry a spill proof coffee mug/water bottle. But you get the idea. Basically, it's awesome. Not a messy jumble at all.

Edited to add -- this is only half full. Plenty of room for a sweater or jacket. I've flown eight (ish) times this year with this system and it works for me with the A30 as my carryon. You could definitely just carry a DLBP by the top handle and get good results, just not quite so comfy in your hand.
    That looks great and similar to my setup. Thank you! Is there advantage to pop tote vs zip-top shop bag or is it just preference? I imagine this bag won't be used regularly once I land, so I'd like it to collapse down small and shove it in another bag (either the daylight or aeronaut) when I land as a "just in case" tote.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the external pockets on the pop tote. Also, the pop tote seems more straight up and down, while the shop tote is a lot wider at the top than the bottom which is great for groceries but maybe less useful for staying organized. PT weighs more and is bulky to pack away. If you're pretty sure you'll never carry it at your destination, pop tote might not be worth it. I prefer a tote to a backpack unless I'm carrying a lot of weight, so it's my personal item on the plane and day bag for the whole trip.

Not to throw too many options at you, but another option I've considered is the daylight briefcase: light and packable and you can carry it while wearing a backpack... I haven't tried it myself because I'm in love with my pop tote, but I do wonder sometimes if it would be better to be hands free. I don't know how packable the cafe bags are, but if you want to consider crossbody options let me know how it works! ��

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the external pockets on the pop tote. Also, the pop tote seems more straight up and down, while the shop tote is a lot wider at the top than the bottom which is great for groceries but maybe less useful for staying organized. PT weighs more and is bulky to pack away. If you're pretty sure you'll never carry it at your destination, pop tote might not be worth it. I prefer a tote to a backpack unless I'm carrying a lot of weight, so it's my personal item on the plane and day bag for the whole trip.

Not to throw too many options at you, but another option I've considered is the daylight briefcase: light and packable and you can carry it while wearing a backpack... I haven't tried it myself because I'm in love with my pop tote, but I do wonder sometimes if it would be better to be hands free. I don't know how packable the cafe bags are, but if you want to consider crossbody options let me know how it works! ��
    No worries! I have a parental unit that I use as my edc, but I would probably use a side effect as my away edc because I don't need that big of a bag on vacation. So if I had that PU as my personal item, it would sit unused at my destination.

I've considered the daylight briefcase, but it seems like it would be better for flat things than my assortment of bulky items. I could be wrong though, I've never seen it in person.

I'm still leaning towards the shop tote, the price, weight and collapse-ability are what I'm looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Pollock Pines, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I!'m still leaning towards the shop tote, the price, weight and collapse-ability are what I'm looking for. "

Noegrl, just tried it, a packed DLBP fits nicely into the Large zip top with room to spare, but does not fit in the small (not fully packed anyway).

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverdaughter View Post
    "I!'m still leaning towards the shop tote, the price, weight and collapse-ability are what I'm looking for. "

Noegrl, just tried it, a packed DLBP fits nicely into the Large zip top with room to spare, but does not fit in the small (not fully packed anyway).
    That's great! Thank you! If you can, can you take a picture of it?

I'm a little worried about the size of the large, if I'm walking with a huge Aeronaut on my back, I don't want to be walking around with what looks like a massive tote bag as well.