Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I also feel the WF is too big for an every day backpack / briefcase. It's luggage sized to me.
    Do you think that's because of its shape?

I carried the tri-star around like a briefcase a few times when I had a much larger work laptop, and it did feel a *little* big, but it didn't feel cumbersome. I've also carried around a cheapie bag (it was a gift) that was rectangular and used the pcbp as an EDC.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City commute means backpack is the most practical. I've tried messengers and duffels and other shoulder bags, but they simply were not as comfortable to walk around with as backpacks. If you're carrying a lot, the S25 is probably the best choice because of its built in organization. The one downside with the S25 in your context is that the top handle is less-than-perfect in my opinon (particularly in the older version that I have without the thicker top handle). On the subway, I always carry my backpack by the top handle if it's even slightly crowded. Adding a neoprene wrap helps with top handle comfort in that case.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Parental Unit?
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I also feel the WF is too big for an every day backpack / briefcase. It's luggage sized to me.
    This is an interesting point that Iíve often considered. I think the Western Flyer can look a bit luggagey but itís not really any bigger than the Synapse 25 at 26L.

I will use the Western Flyer as a backpack for work more than the Synapse as it stays flat for commuting v the slight bulge in the synapse. Also I can use it in briefcase mode and with a shoulder strap. It also is more suited to being a personal item on airlines.

I definitely think the WF is a very functional everyday bag for work, rather than luggage (but of course, can be used for that too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it would depend on how much stuff you lug around everyday. I found as luggage, the WF was not comfortable in backpack mode, but I also had it fully stuffed. For everyday, would it be understuffed? Would it sag on you? It'll hold a laptop, but that's assuming there's a bunch of clothes to pad it and hold it in place. I'm not sure if in a cache and on the rails by itself in the back compartment, that it wouldn't move around and the bag sag. I guess "you're mileage may vary" applies here.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who cares...

I've been carrying around my wf/tri-star pcbp in combo with the pop tote for the past week+ - I think I'm going to go for a DLBP - very similar to the pcbp, but with extra pockets & o-rings, and hopefully a bit sturdier (pcbp is well loved... Inside is a bit yellowed & starting to peel... Friend suggested I send it in to be fixed, but I feel like I've just been too rough on it, not the dyneema's fault!), I think it's a good combo for my needs.

Still looking at a brain bag or possibly a second hand smart Alec for the bigger days.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PrimalMama; 01-22-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Brain Bag - 1 compartment for light days; 2 for heavy-carry days. It is a beast of a bag. There is a good reason why it is one of the most tenured bags in the Tom Bihn product line-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also do not have a car and commute exclusively via walking/ferry/bus. The DLBP is very good for public transportation because it has so little depth and fits so closely on the back. I wore a DLBP as my main luggage during a trip to Japan and was impressed by how well it worked on the crowded Japanese trains.

For heavier days the SA sounds like it would work well for you, because the cavernous main compartment can handle a variety of loadouts, and the loops on the front can be combined with extra straps or a cord/bungee to corset the bag or carry even more (or weirder) things. I have both bags and feel like the BB is better for when you KNOW you're going to be carrying a laptop and a ton of other (relatively flat) items, but the SA is better for when you MIGHT carry a laptop, or a bike helmet, or a rotisserie chicken, or...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the SA for bigger days. That leviathan main compartment is just so helpful for odd-shaped loads (I know from reading posts here that people have carried a woofer, an urn, wine, and many other bulky and irregular items in their SAís). Plus, if you need to take it off your back while on public transport, the top grab handle is pretty beefy. And you can even install Gatekeeper straps on the front for additional handholds/ways to carry stuff. (Upon re-reading, I realize Iím just restating the post above!! &#128516 Iíd throw in a Shop Bag or two for good measure, for the inevitable overflow. (Much more comfy to carry than the Fraktas!)
    Last edited by haraya; 01-27-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2