Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best 'Checkable' TB bag?

So, when I travel for Work, I absolutely love packing in either my WF, or my Pilot, with preference for my Pilot if for no other reason than I like the shock factor of "That's all your luggage?" on my co-worker's faces. Either way though, I'm always doing one-bag, non-checked luggage for work.

For leisure, when we do fly, it's usually to places like Disney, where we take advantage of their Magical Express service that lets us check our luggage at the airport, never to be seen again until we get into our hotel room at the resort. On our past trips, I've leveraged an old canvas duffle bag I used in high school back in the early 90s. The bag itself has held up fairly well after 25-30 years of use, but most of the zippers on the external pockets have busted, and it's really only the main compartment left that's functional. The rest of the family uses cheap Adidas duffle bags.

I've always kind of wanted to replace my bag with a duffle style TB bag, and had originally been leaning towards the Aeronauts, because, hey, those are some cool bags. Planning our next Disney trip has me considering once again if I should be replacing my bag. But when I stopped to really consider my use case, I'm starting to think the Aeronauts might be overkill. Those seem to be more bags intended for carry on, and ease of use navigating the airports. In my case, the bag would be checked and shipped right to the hotel room. Don't even have to hit a baggage claim.

So what are some thoughts on a better choice for a bag that's intended to be checked? There's the obvious choice of the RB, being that it's fairly similar in design to the Aeronauts, but the Yeomans are a little more cost effect, and with their lack of external 'things' (pockets, zippers, that mesh panel) might be a little sturdier to the terror that is baggage handling.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel to Disney several times a year, both to Disneyland and Disney World. Have done the Magical Express many times too. I used to fly with a halcyon A30, but a couple of years go switched over to my original Nordic/solar A45 in order to bring back larger or more oddly shaped souvenirs. However, I have a horror of being asked to check the A45 since it’s such a lovely color that cannot be replaced, so I now fly with a medium Yeoman duffel, which is essentially the same size as the A45. In November, we spent eight days at the Contemporary, in which I had my medium Yeoman duffel and Mr. pammy had his medium Road Duffel, and in a couple of weeks we will be taking the same combination to Disney World where we will be staying at a cabin in Fort Wilderness. Since you do not need the backpack straps of an Aeronaut, my vote would be for a Yeoman duffel. By using packing cubes, it’s easy to organize without the side pockets and it holds a ton. Also, there is less worry about checking it because the Yeomans are made from factory seconds fabric, so it might have a little blemish and if it acquires another when it’s checked it, it’s no biggie.

Here’s what the TB website says about the fabric imperfections:

“So it's highly likely that you will find some small cosmetic blemishes somewhere on your Yeoman Duffel, which may include irregular shading, a streak or lighter colored yarn, a small "slub" (a knot or thick spot in the yarn), or some unevenness in the urethane coating. These blemishes or flaws are strictly cosmetic in nature, and will not impact the Yeoman's utility or durability. These peculiarities are inconsistent and will vary from bag to bag, meaning no two will be exactly alike. This also means that while you can choose the color of your Yeoman, we cannot tell you what its unique personality will be: it's 100% potluck (kind of exciting, eh?)."
    Last edited by pammy; 01-16-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yeoman duffel only has one zip, so is very easy to lock up should you choose to.
    Although a simple design, it has a beauty all of its own.
    The medium is an excellent size for carrying loads of clothing. I used it recently for winter camping and packed a full set of waterproofs, full set of fleece backed gear, hats, gloves, full size toiletries, undies, regular trousers, various tops, synthetic jacket and more.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both, the Yeoman was making more sense to me too for a bag to subject to Baggage Handling. But that RB just looks so much more functional. Big Grin I'll have to see which way the wind blows in the end. Most likely it'll be 'reuse my existing bag', but I'll see if I can talk myself into making a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    ... and in a couple of weeks we will be taking the same combination to Disney World where we will be staying at a cabin in Fort Wilderness. ...
    We're probably going to just miss you then. Our trip is more mid-Feb. I actually considered the cabins when it was possible we'd have a few extras along as it made the most sense for 6 people, but they never committed to making the trip so we're at POFQ instead.