Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identify Please - original original (?) small shop bag? year? colour?

Hoping the collective Borg memory (or @Moriond or @Darcy) can help with identifying the life story of this bag

Appears/feels to be a lightweight ballistic, a happy red (photo vs Iberian and Mars Red once I get good daylight)
    A tad smaller than original small shop bag
    No internal pockets
    Bought on eBay

Identify Please - original original (?) small shop bag? year?  colour?-s-l400-jpg

Thanks!
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF; oNordic/Solar CP; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon oL12; Nebulous/Island B L15

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identify Please - original original (?) small shop bag? year? colour?

I'm on the edge of my seat for those pics in daylight!

ETA: might it be an old Utility Tote? What's the fabric?
    Last edited by Cristina; 01-29-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not @moriond or @Darcy, but I am guessing that bag was either a prototype of an early ballistic shop bag or part of the December 2015 Tom Bihn holiday office party gifts. See the pictures in this blog post: https://blog.tombihn.com/page/48

I distinctly remember this blog post because at that time, shop bag were only made in 400d or 200d halcyon and I was hoping one day they would be made in ballistic. I recall seeing a green shop bag, possibly verde, on ebay once and it made me think of this blog post. Hopefully someone in the know will weigh in and put our inquiring minds to rest on its provenance. But very cool bag. Nice score!
    Last edited by pammy; 01-29-2019 at 07:25 AM.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely not Cordura? I have an SA in a red, so it could be made from Cardinal or Crimson ballistic. Might be a Utility Tote as Cristina suggested - since I don't think they had Mars Red yet when they made the holiday party favors.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís not a Utility Tote. Here is a picture of mine, which is crimson and steel cordura. It has outer pockets in the front and the back.

Identify Please - original original (?) small shop bag? year?  colour?-8c9945ca-da2b-4b9c-ba95-b7245e3f5dc0-jpeg
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely feels like a lightweight ballistic to me, not a Cordura, and I agree that it's not a Utility Tote (unless it's a strange one)...
    and I think it's pre-Mars Red, I was just going to photograph it vs the reds that I own to show the difference...

@Pammy, you are part of the BihnBorgCollective

I'll check out that blog post, thanks!
    Last edited by G42; 01-29-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF; oNordic/Solar CP; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon oL12; Nebulous/Island B L15

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that might be what we called the "Event Tote". We sometimes receive requests from organizations looking for a gift bag design, so Tom came up with the Event Tote -- a simple tote design that can easily be embroidered post-sewing with a company or non-profit logo. I don't think we made too many of them because we usually don't have the production capacity to make special edition production runs for events.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, @G42, you have been after several hard to find TB items lately... you have out done yourself!

@darcy, what fabric/color might that be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Well, @G42, you have been after several hard to find TB items lately...
    I am a total sucker for the small shop bags and an old one (!?) without pockets out of an odd material was just too tempting...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's the photo showing the new/old red ballistic bag on the bottom, Mars Red Cubelet upper right and Iberian halcyon below

Identify Please - original original (?) small shop bag? year?  colour?-img_20190129_163551-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Identify Please - original original (?) small shop bag? year?  colour?-img_20190129_163511-jpg 

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That weave is definitely Cordura, and my guess is Cordura 500d or just a well used 1000d. Probably either Tulip Red or Crimson.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    That weave is definitely Cordura, and my guess is Cordura 500d or just a well used 1000d. Probably either Tulip Red or Crimson.
    Ohhh, thank you!

Maybe because it's older/more loved, but it feels smoother than Cordura to me... but I haven't borrowed anyone's dog to do the fur test, so I'll just go with your more scientific weave analysis