Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is flying with the road buddy?

Has anyone tried it out? I love my A30 but never carry it in backpack mode..... so I feel like the smaller RB is a good choice instead.

Is it too big for regional jet overhead bins? I owned an A45 previously but it was just too heavy fully packed.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken mine on a Ryanair flight and it was fine! Width and depth are in the regulation, but the height is too much if you pack it completely full. I didn't have it stuffed, so I was fine. It fit in the overhead lockers with room to spare.

I found that as long as you carry a bag that doesn't look full they're not testing you out, and the RB36 fits a lot but still doesn't look big. But of course it could have fit regulations, that's the good thing with a soft sided bag.

I personally don't need the backpack straps either, if I do need a backpack I take my Deuter. For normal travel I prefer a duffel bag. If that's you then I think the Road Buddy might be the perfect bag.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly Delta and I've had no problem flying with the Medium Road Buddy. If the A45 is a carry on, then the 36L of the Road Buddy takes up much less room. I love it as a carry on. I find the pockets are better sized than the Aeronauts for the stuff I pack.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agland View Post
    I owned an A45 previously but it was just too heavy fully packed.
    And that's why you don't fully pack it ;-)

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a medium RB with an Absolute Shoulder Strap at Christmas for a weeklong trip to visit family; there's a photo of it somewhere in the Photos section of the forum. I flew on Delta. It was a bit bigger than I needed but I wanted to test it out. It was great. I love the organization in it. Previously I used a small Yeoman and a Pop Tote but never really like the lack of pockets in the Yeoman. The RB will be my go-to bag for one bag travel from now on.

Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it have a lot of structure to it, shortie? is it comfortable as a duffle over a decent amount of distance? I'm primarily home to airport to hotel to airport to home. Not a lot of major journeys..

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that it didn't get really floppy like most duffel bags do. It was comfortable to carry both by hand and with the shoulder strap. I highly recommend upgrading to the Absolute Shoulder Strap - it makes every heavy bag feel a lot lighter.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agland View Post
    Has anyone tried it out? I love my A30 but never carry it in backpack mode..... so I feel like the smaller RB is a good choice instead.
    I just loaned my A30 to my husband, who doesn't do backpacks. He said it was the perfect bag except "you have to zip everything shut before you move it because the handle is on the side, so stuff falls out when you pick it up." And my first reaction was "why are you moving it while it's open?," but my second reaction was "ah, you need a Road Buddy."