Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary sweat factor?

For those of you who are test driving the new Luminaries, what's the back sweat factor?

I live in a hot, humid climate, so having a bag on my back has never appealed to me because I'm sweating without having something warm on my back and over my shoulders. A cross body bag means I only have a narrow strap across my back or over my shoulder. I love the look of the new Luminaries, and I see a lot of you have posted photos of the Luminary over your coat. That's fine for staying warm. But what about staying cool? How warm is the backpack and the shoulder straps?

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @BWeaves!

It's been below freezing to 40's since I've had the bag, so not a test of FL weather

I usually run very warm regardless, so I'm used to getting the sweaty back feeling... I just swing a pack to one shoulder/side for a couple minutes to cool off my back.
    Since I'm pretty much always uncomfortably hot, I go with the fact that backpacks are better for my back & posture than a side carry for anything reasonably heavy.

The Luminaries have the flat ballistic back panel like most TB bags (no air channels, etc) but they do have small surface areas relatively speaking, so at least your back will not be as covered up, but there's probably no escaping it unless you move someplace colder... like Seattle
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @BWeaves, first of all I'd reckon that sweat can be a problem as it is a general backpack problem. (I have a broad selection of backpacks with all kind of anti-sweating solutions and I sweat with all of them in summer.) The material does make some difference but it cannot prevent sweating completely. There is an interesting forum thread on this issue which also links to a comprehensive TB blog post.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our temps are currently below freezing, so I can't speak from experience with the L15. However, the back panel appears to be the same as the original Luminary (just bigger). The heat never bothered me with my old Luminary, but I know it did some people. I would expect that if you find backpacks make you hot, this one will as well.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I destashed an original Luminary because it was so hot, much hotter than any other backpack I've owned.