Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Los Angeles, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do you station a laptop bag at your desk?

Hello, bag people.

I have always been a backpack person, but I just got a TB Daylight Briefcase as my new daily-ish use bag for my 13" iPad, which is my primary work device. I have a desk in my office at home where the iPad is stationed when I'm home. I pack up and go somewhere with the iPad frequently enough that I want the Daylight Briefcase stationed at my desk. I want to be able to grab the bag, load and go right from the desk, and likewise I want to be able to sit down at the desk, unload, store the bag, and start working.

My question is, how??? Is there some kind of floppy flat bag shelf that I don't know about? Do you use a hook or something for this? Put it in a drawer? What do you do with your laptop bag when you're at home, especially if you use it every day?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ablaze View Post
    Hello, bag people.

I have always been a backpack person, but I just got a TB Daylight Briefcase as my new daily-ish use bag for my 13" iPad, which is my primary work device. I have a desk in my office at home where the iPad is stationed when I'm home. I pack up and go somewhere with the iPad frequently enough that I want the Daylight Briefcase stationed at my desk. I want to be able to grab the bag, load and go right from the desk, and likewise I want to be able to sit down at the desk, unload, store the bag, and start working.

My question is, how??? Is there some kind of floppy flat bag shelf that I don't know about? Do you use a hook or something for this? Put it in a drawer? What do you do with your laptop bag when you're at home, especially if you use it every day?
    Welcome, @ablaze ! If you have access to the side of your desk, maybe you could affix something like a 3M Command hook and hang it on the side of your desk? If your desk doesn't have sides, I personally would probably just fold it in half and keep it on my desk but I am a bit cluttery like that. I do have a bag shelf where I keep my TB packing cubes and extra pouches and Travel Trays, so I could put it there when I wasn't using it. Or you could hang it on the back of a door or wherever you hang your coat?

Good luck finding a spot for it.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @ablaze!

I echo what @Cristina recommended.

Since my home work set up is my kitchen table that also functions as a kitchen table - I don't keep the bag right there...
    I have a metal two prong hook screwed into the wall right at the front door of my apartment and I hang my two DLBCs there. Easy to grab and they make good wall art Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Do you mean you want to work out of the bag - e.g. keep pens and accessories in the bag, almost as if it were a desk drawer? or just have it handy when you are ready to go?

If you want it close at hand for all your gear as youíre working - maybe try something like the Hero Clip or another type of bag hanger, so it can hang from the desktop itself. Alternately: I think Iíve seen a post about someone using the Freudian Slip and just pulling it out of the bag while working at their desk, then it goes right back in the bag when they are ready to go.

If you just need it close by but donít need to access it constantly: can you hang it on the back of your chair? Is it empty while you are working, or is there some stuff which stays in the bag? If empty - maybe you can use something like a vertical napkin holder to prop it up on one corner of your desk? Is there a door over which you can hang a wreath hanger, and hang your bag there?
    Last edited by haraya; 03-03-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got a second chair in my cubicle so I set whatever bag I’m carrying there. At home, I set it in the side chair at my kitchen table. My SE purse is in it, so it’s easy to grab when I need my insulin, etc.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Iím weird but I just set my DLBC on the floor next to me, leaning against the wall or desk. I keep it unzipped so I can get to everything. When ready to leave, I stand and set the DLBC on the chair to pack.

Iíve done that with every bag Iíve owned, at work or at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    try something like the Hero Clip
    Greetings,
    Let me second what @haraya said. The Hero Clip will allow the bag to hang from your desk and will either tuck into the bag or remain attached to the bag handle for transport. I have two original size, one for my Synapse25 and one for my ukulele. The Hero Clips are great while traveling! elisa

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a side shelf (counter? I don't know, a surface at approximately desk level) with a row of books; I lean the bag up against the books. Works perfectly.

Los Angeles, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for jumping in, everybody! To answer @haraya’s question, I’m not really working out of the bag; it has its own pens, notebooks, and charging stuff. I’m just taking the iPad and keyboard in and out. Folding it up as @Cristina suggested won’t work, though, because of all the stuff I leave in it. The upside is, that includes my rigid iPad sleeve, so the bag has some structure and will stand up. Hanging it feels like it’s in the way. I’d rather put it standing up on a shelf that’s within arms’ reach of the desk, I think, like @cazique’s arrangement. The napkin holder thing is also a good idea. I will experiment.

This Hero Clip is an interesting piece of gear. I’m glad to know about it.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My usual EDC is a somewhat rigid(ish) bag with a leather base, so it just goes on the floor unless an officemate's dog is interested in it, in which case it does on the desk. I use a pouch to keep organized and everything I need goes in the pouch, which comes out with my laptop.

When I'm traveling I use a Pilot, which is somewhat less rigid. I guess I also let it just be on the floor, perhaps propped up against a wall. If there's room it goes on the desk or an empty chair.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know that funky tall closet in your desk or cubicle that you used to put the computer tower in? That's where I put my briefcase.

Either that or set it upright on the floor leaning against the inside of the desk.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-04-2019 at 12:04 PM.