Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grocery shopping/farmers' market: 525d or 210d for the Truck?

I was thinking of adding a Truck to my preorder, for actual grocery shopping and going to the farmers' market. I've read something about the 210d being better for yarn purposes (definitely more lightweight than groceries) and the 525d for lugging around power tools (which I don't plan on doing). If you you own one or both in the Truck, which do you prefer for grocery shopping? I love Dawn, but I fear the light color might get dirty quickly. I would probably go with the NG or Aubergine if I went for 525d. Thanks! Smilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of each weight I use for grocery shopping, and honestly I don’t notice a difference. However I live in an area where everyone drives themselves. There is practically no public transportation and we aren’t designed for pedestrian traffic so no one really walks. I’d imagine the 210 would be a better choice for carrying the groceries a long time because it is a little lighter, but both of my trucks are perfectly strong enough for everything I buy. I’d just pick the color I wanted!

I really prefer the shop bags over the trucks for shopping. They carry easier under the arm and the pockets are not limiting. The truck’s pockets prevent me from packing efficiently and the store clerks really can’t figure out what to do with them. I end up with sideways chicken and a couple pieces of fruit in the end pockets.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I wouldn't take the car for grocery shopping, it's all in comfortable walking distance. Oh and here in Germany you always pack your bags yourself, there's no one in the stores doing it for you (not even in the higher priced stores). I've only seen that abroad.

I like the idea of the truck because it would keep say meat and vegetables separated, but I never really looked into the shop bags. I'd definitely want one with an open top though, no zippers. So I guess I need to hurry with my decision...

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Thanks! I wouldn't take the car for grocery shopping, it's all in comfortable walking distance. Oh and here in Germany you always pack your bags yourself, there's no one in the stores doing it for you (not even in the higher priced stores). I've only seen that abroad.

I like the idea of the truck because it would keep say meat and vegetables separated, but I never really looked into the shop bags. I'd definitely want one with an open top though, no zippers. So I guess I need to hurry with my decision...
    I can’t speak for the various weights of the truck but as a devout user of shop bags my first thought when I read your post was “you want a tb bag for the handles.” Slight weight difference aside you’ve not experienced the wonderful tb handles when carrrying your groceries you’re about to be in for a real treat.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For walking with groceries, I would want a zip top shop bag. The zipper stays out of the way when you don't need it, but it's there if you need to keep things from falling out, or it's raining or something. You could always get two small zip top shop bags in different colors if you want to keep meat and veg separate.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    I can’t speak for the various weights of the truck but as a devout user of shop bags my first thought when I read your post was “you want a tb bag for the handles.” Slight weight difference aside you’ve not experienced the wonderful tb handles when carrrying your groceries you’re about to be in for a real treat.
    I can’t imagine that it makes such a big difference, but I’ve read it quite often looking through a few threads just now so there has to be something to it...

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    For walking with groceries, I would want a zip top shop bag. The zipper stays out of the way when you don't need it, but it's there if you need to keep things from falling out, or it's raining or something. You could always get two small zip top shop bags in different colors if you want to keep meat and veg separate.
    Thanks! So you can simply use it unzipped and still have easy access to put things in? If yes than the zipped one might be an option after all. And I think I’d give the smaller size a try then. I’m only shopping for myself (and have a car if I need to buy large and heavy things), so the small zip top shop shop bag should be fine. I think I’ll add one in Dawn to my preorder and then see how it works out for me and if it doesn’t I can always think about getting a Truck in 525d.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Truck for farmer's markets... I can keep it on my shoulder and the open top with compartments works for how I shop the market. There's not a massive weight difference between 525 and 210 so much as the overall rigidity of the bag... they will both stand up empty but the 525 will hold its shape more easily and longer.

For regular grocery store runs (driving or short walking), I use the (discontinued) open top original Small Shop Bags and sometimes one of the original Large. For further distance, I use my (discontinued) Smart Alec.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes: the separation in The Truck is super useful. Sometimes I get a salad bar or hot deli stuff at the store and I can usually fit all of that in the middle compartment / put everything else in the end compartments. This ensures the prepared foods don't get squished or topple over in the bag.

Interesting re: packing your own bags in Germany. I like packing my own groceries (gotta use those Tetris skills) but being that we make a variety of totes that are often used as grocery bags, one of my favorite things about going to the store is seeing how the person working there bags my groceries. I even take everything out of the basket heavy-to-lightest/most delicate for a little bit of teamwork. Smilie
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t imagine that it makes such a big difference, but I’ve read it quite often looking through a few threads just now so there has to be something to it...
    It depends, really. I tend to shop with shop bags instead of the germy baskets they provide particularly during flu season. I love being able to carry the bag on my shoulderlike a purse while loading the next bag. Love the handles.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Ah yes: the separation in The Truck is super useful. Sometimes I get a salad bar or hot deli stuff at the store and I can usually fit all of that in the middle compartment / put everything else in the end compartments. This ensures the prepared foods don't get squished or topple over in the bag.

Interesting re: packing your own bags in Germany. I like packing my own groceries (gotta use those Tetris skills) but being that we make a variety of totes that are often used as grocery bags, one of my favorite things about going to the store is seeing how the person working there bags my groceries. I even take everything out of the basket heavy-to-lightest/most delicate for a little bit of teamwork. Smilie
    You’re doing field study! Wink It definitely sounds interesting...

I put the Truck on my wish list for now, I think I’d have gone for a NG anyway, so it can wait a bit. I’ve preordered a small zip top shop bag in Dawn, I’ll give that a try first and see how it works out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    It depends, really. I tend to shop with shop bags instead of the germy baskets they provide particularly during flu season. I love being able to carry the bag on my shoulderlike a purse while loading the next bag. Love the handles.
    Sounds good. Smilie Can’t wait to give it a try!