Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When did they "fix" the Synapse 25 Handle?

I've had a Synapse 25 for 8 years or so, bought my oldest daughter one 5 years ago when she started college, and just bought my youngest daughter one as she's getting ready for college in the fall. In looking at my youngest's S25 (bought in Dec) I notice the handle on it has changed - it's not double or even triple thick nylon webbing, no longer a single, thin strap. This truly was my only complaint with this pack - I've always felt that it deserved a more robust and comfortable handle. Seems like my prayers have been answered!

My question is this - my daughter's bag is that black checkered dyneema. Is this handle change unique to that fabric or has it been applied to all fabric versions? I seriously am considering buying a new 25 just to get one w/ that handle - even though my 8 yr old bag is completely spotless. But I want the cordura version and I can't tell from the pictures if the handle has changed there or not.

thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When did they "fix" the Synapse 25 Handle?

Hi!

I believe they changed the S25 handles when they introduced them in the 525 Ballistic (the current fabric alongside the checkered 400 Halcyon). Edited to add: Found it, it was Summer 2017!
    https://blog.tombihn.com/summer-2017-debut-guide

The new style handle will be on all current Synapses.

Happy Synapse shopping!
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-04-2019 at 09:39 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cristina had it right -- but then, just a few days ago I posted (for the first time) an update on the new style of handle described by you @MicroZealous:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    For a variety of reasons, it turned out the folded and sewn handle was very difficult (nearly impossible) to fabricate: both the sewing and cutting turned out to be far more labor intensive than we had originally planned for.

The webbing handle on the new Luminaries is our newer thick and smooth webbing and we like it just as well if not better than the folded handle and it's, of course, much easier to fabricate.

Note: we're using up all of our stock of the folded and sewn handle parts on the Synapses. Once those parts are all used, we'll switch the Synapse handle to be the newer thick and smooth webbing, too.

Here's a close-up of the thick and smooth webbing handle:

Attachment 22221
    The current Synapses have the folded and sewn handle -- I think the next batch or two will also have it. After that, we'll be switching to the smooth, thicker webbing handle we're using on the Luminary.

Feedback like this is helpful for us to hear, so thanks for that @MicroZealous -- and if you'd like, we can mail you a section of the new thick/smooth webbing so you can feel how it compares to the folded handle... just emailus@tombihn.com
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)