Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Forum Member bouncing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Share
    Digital Nomad
    Posts
    312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Could you fit a Pilot inside an Aeronaut 45?

    Just a hypothetical... I'm generally rocking the A30 and Pilot, but I'm thinking of swapping for the 45 and trying to "one bag" it by throwing the Pilot inside the Aeronaut 45.

    Thoughts? What if the Pilot also had a laptop cache inside?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    18
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pilot will physically fit in an A45, but it takes up a ton of space if the Pilot isn't empty. Here is a shot with my Pilot with all my every day carry stuff in it (laptop, notebook, folders, power brick, etc) inside my A45.

    Could you fit a Pilot inside an Aeronaut 45?-img_7368-jpg
    Could you fit a Pilot inside an Aeronaut 45?-img_9026-jpg

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,604
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both bags. The Pilot fits in the main compartment, but what's the point? It doesn't collapse down flat, so it takes up a ton of room. The Pilot is great as a second bag to the A45 if you want to 2 bag it, but the Pilot is not a good "pack it and use it when you get there" bag. You're better off with one of the Daylight bags for this scenario.

  4. #4
    Forum Member PaulT00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Share
    By the seaside, England
    Posts
    426
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've carried my (dyneema) Pilot inside the (ballistic) A45 for a 4-day work trip, with my EDC bits (laptop, glasses, paperwork etc) in the Pilot in marsupial mode.
    The main reason was that I didn't want to schlep the A45 back and forth to the office on the "middle days" of the trip but still needed some structure to haul my office bits and pieces between hotel and office, and there was enough schtuff to need a bag the size of the Pilot to corral it... so I wasn't wasting space in the A45, as it were. It's a casual office, so clothing requirements were limited (shirts, socks and underwear basically) and mostly fitted in a large packing cube in the bottom of the A45 main compartment.
    So on day 1 (arrival) I went straight from the train station to the office, carrying A45 with Pilot inside. Then that all went back to the hotel in the evening.
    Days 2 and 3 saw me taking just Pilot to the office. A45 stayed in the hotel room.
    Day 4 (departure) Pilot went back in the A45 and they both checked out of the hotel with me, went to the office for a final day of work and then both got on the train home.
    It's not an ideal solution but it can work if the situation justifies the combination and you really don't want to carry two separate bags; but I can count the number of times I've needed to do this on one hand; it's less necessary these days, too, with a smaller laptop (retina MacBook in cache instead of an older 13" MacBook) and less kit overall. The main reason I was doing it is a bad back, so it's better for me to carry a heavier bag centred on my back in A45 backpack mode rather than having a backpack and hanging another bag the size of the Pilot off one shoulder to weigh down one side and possibly upset my lower spine.
    Have you considered whether you could shrink what you're packing and fit everything into a full A30? Or maybe use a Daylight Briefcase instead of the Pilot, if you just want a sort of "office packing cube" within your main bag?
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25QKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

  5. #5
    Forum Member bouncing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Share
    Digital Nomad
    Posts
    312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Have you considered whether you could shrink what you're packing and fit everything into a full A30? Or maybe use a Daylight Briefcase instead of the Pilot, if you just want a sort of "office packing cube" within your main bag?
    For most of my trips, everything actually does fit in a only semi-full A30. I have an A30 and use it for most shorter to medium-term travel.

    One thing I'm kind of bummed out by in terms of a DLBC is the lack of water-resistant zippers. I've walked to the cowork on more than one occasion during a rain and just not fretting my laptop is pretty valuable to me.

    Obviously the Pilot won't fit in the A30 very well, but I was thinking maybe since it's halcyon and compresses down a bit, it might fit in the A40 well when not fully packed. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. Interesting to see everyone's packing strategy.

  6. #6
    Forum Member bouncing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Share
    Digital Nomad
    Posts
    312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pkshooter View Post
    A pilot will physically fit in an A45, but it takes up a ton of space if the Pilot isn't empty. Here is a shot with my Pilot with all my every day carry stuff in it (laptop, notebook, folders, power brick, etc) inside my A45.
    Thanks *a ton* for the photos. Do you think the situation would be significantly different if the Pilot were mostly empty and in halcyon instead of ballistic?

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    18
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Thanks *a ton* for the photos. Do you think the situation would be significantly different if the Pilot were mostly empty and in halcyon instead of ballistic?
    No, not significantly. I think the difference would only be slight and don’t think it would be worth doing.

  8. #8
    Forum Member bouncing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Share
    Digital Nomad
    Posts
    312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pkshooter View Post
    No, not significantly. I think the difference would only be slight and don’t think it would be worth doing.
    Yeah, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks and I dig the gray fabric / blue zipper pull combination.

  9. #9
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    727
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were so desirous of bringing a Pilot that you didn't mind giving up half an A45 end compartment, you could fit an empty Halcyon Pilot in the A45 that way. You'd want to undo all the zippers first, including the one at the bottom of the slip pocket on the back, then roll it up. I put a 16" key strap around it loosely to stop it from unrolling for the picture, but you probably wouldn't need to do that in actual use--either you'd be putting other things in there that would keep it from unrolling, or if nothing else were in the pocket it wouldn't matter if it unrolled.

    (Something I've learned from these forums is that folding or rolling can damage a closed zipper, but is usually not damaging to an open zipper.)

    P.S. Math thoughts:
    Based on the volume of the A45 End Pocket Packing Cube, the end pocket should hold about 5.5 liters. So you'd be spending about 2.25-2.5 liters of space on the Pilot.

    If your usual travel carry is 43.5 liters (assuming you fill the A30 and Pilot to their official capacity of 30 and 13.5 liters) then transferring everything (including a Halcyon Pilot) into an A45 would leave you one liter short.

    If your A30 and Pilot currently have 1+ liters of extra space, it could theoretically work for you as long as the new arrangement still gave you convenient access to everything you need during travel (and as long as you didn't need to be able to just pull the Pilot out of the A45 and go, without repacking your daily carry into the Pilot).

    Could you fit a Pilot inside an Aeronaut 45?-img_1984-jpg
    Last edited by aedifica; 03-16-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: add some math
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

    I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

  10. #10
    Forum Member bouncing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Share
    Digital Nomad
    Posts
    312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    If you were so desirous of bringing a Pilot that you didn't mind giving up half an A45 end compartment, you could fit an empty Halcyon Pilot in the A45 that way. You'd want to undo all the zippers first, including the one at the bottom of the slip pocket on the back, then roll it up. I put a 16" key strap around it loosely to stop it from unrolling for the picture, but you probably wouldn't need to do that in actual use--either you'd be putting other things in there that would keep it from unrolling, or if nothing else were in the pocket it wouldn't matter if it unrolled.

    (Something I've learned from these forums is that folding or rolling can damage a closed zipper, but is usually not damaging to an open zipper.)
    Wow, that's a really interesting idea and thanks for the suggestion.

    Also, I didn't know that about the zippers. Recently a packable daybag I have has been having failing zippers, which I thought was surprising because they're YKK. Perhaps this is why.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •