Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Padded hip belt for Tri-Star

Hi. I just pulled the trigger for Tri-Star with 17B Laptop cache.

Adding the padded hip belt to TS would be very helpful for me when I carry TS with my giant 17" laptop over a long distance.

Is there a dedicated padded hip belt available for Tri-Star?

(I found optional, removable 1" / 25 mm waist strap is available for Tri-star.
    Would 1" padded hip belt (https://www.tombihn.com/products/1-p...nt=32908029831) might work?)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @kimkitak1 and welcome to the TB Forums!

I don't have a TS, but here's an old blog post that might help with your hip belt question:

https://blog.tombihn.com/new-1-padde...apse-backpacks

The relevant paragraph:

"Our Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, and Western Flyer travel bags all have 1” webbing loops that can accept the 1” Padded Hip Belt. If you’ve been hoping for a Padded Hip Belt for your TB travel bag, then this may be your best option. We’re not officially recommending the 1” Padded Hip Belt as an option for these bags because the aforementioned travel bags are larger and do not have internal frames, and because the attachment point for a waist belt is somewhat high, the 1” Padded Hip Belt can end up riding high on some folks, especially those who are taller. Same advice we gave earlier applies here: if you already use the included 1” Webbing Gatekeeper Waist Strap on your travel bag it works for you but you’d like to upgrade to a padded version, then feel free to give the 1” Padded Hip Belt a whirl, and let us know how it works for you (maybe you’ll change our minds!)"

The post was from a couple years ago, so I'm sure folks have tried various methods and will hopefully chime in here with advice.

FWIW, I have the Aeronaut 30 and 45 and one of the hip belts designed for those bags... I only use it with the A45 and only when I have it packed heavy with work things. I'm 5'4" and find that a fully loaded A30 doesn't bother me but a heavy A45 can get tiring if I'm walking long distances and the hip belt helps there. Your TS is 36L
    HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting concept. I didn't realize my Tristar had the loops, as I never intended to use it in backpack mode. But I just tried it out with the padded hip belt and it could work, although it does sit a little high. I'm 5'11" and the top edge of the belt is just below my ribcage.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lengthen the straps?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Lengthen the straps?
    That's with the shoulder straps lengthened and the bag relatively low on my back. The connection point is 5" from the bottom on the TS, so the hip belt will most likely always feel higher than on other bags. It's definitely feasible, it just comes down to how comfortable the OP is with the belt being high or the bag riding low. If you're shorter, the issue becomes less significant.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the kind replies.

After some research, I found that tri star also uses buckles to connect back pack straps at the bottom of the pack, just like the A45. This got me into thinking of using the hip straps for A45 on the tri star.

Would using the hip straps for A45 on the TS work?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkitak1 View Post
    Would using the hip straps for A45 on the TS work?
    In theory, it looks like it should as long as the recessed buckle area on the Tristar and A45 are the same depth. If so, I think it'd add greater stability to the hip belt and be less floppy, but I can't speak to the difference in comfort/function of attaching the backpack straps directly to the belt.

I don't foresee it changing the height of where the hip belt sits though. I just loaded up my TS with a heavy load using the hip belt and at 5'11" it didn't transfer the weight off my shoulders at all, but I'd estimate that if you're below 5'8" it would sit closer to the hips and be more effective. The bag is pretty comfortable with a hefty load, but I don't know what kind of distances you're working with.

Maybe there's someone on here that has both and can provide some input, or if you call cust. service they'll at least be able to verify the compatibility so you can try it out.