Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How durable is your halcyon bag?

Hi everyone,

I've been dithering between the A45 and A30 for weeks, and now that I've finally settled on the A30, I'm dithering about material. For weight reasons I think the halcyon makes sense, but I'm worried about durability for adventure trips/if I ever end up needing to check it for some reason. I've read many, many pages back in the forums trying to get a consensus on this, but haven't seen too much in-depth discussion on this topic.

Have any of you had issues with the durability of your halcyon bags? How durable would you say it is?

Thanks, as always, for all the amazing tips and advice you guys have!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have checked my Halcyon A45 without any problems.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran over the A30 in halcyon with a car once. I didn't notice it was still on the ground and backed over it with my Subaru Outback.

There was some superficial damage, I think from the heat of the exhaust system more than anything else. It was still perfectly useable.

I'm not sure if that's a very scientific test though. Haha.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I ran over the A30 in halcyon with a car once. I didn't notice it was still on the ground and backed over it with my Subaru Outback.

There was some superficial damage, I think from the heat of the exhaust system more than anything else. It was still perfectly useable.

I'm not sure if that's a very scientific test though. Haha.
    While not scientific that certainly is a good sign! That actually does make me feel a lot better about the halcyon haha.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always liked this post of flitcraft's original Nordic WF's adventures on the freeway. Halcyon/dyneema is tougher than you would think.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...eema-read.html
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **Note Tom Bihn officially does not support running over bags with cars**

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gently bumped my halcyon shop bags on the edge of a concrete stair or curb, and got a white rub spot. I can kick my ballistic bags across an airport floor with no visible damage. Plus, I prefer the slightly beefier structure of ballistic. Then again, you are considering an A30, and you may find it easier to get into the end pockets with the thinner halcyon fabric. I could never get into the end pockets of my ballistic A30. I prefer the A45 as being easier to pack and actually lighter to wear because it sits closer and flatter to my back. The A30 always tipped me over backwards because it was smaller.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-26-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I've gently bumped my halcyon shop bags on the edge of a concrete stair or curb, and got a white rub spot. I can kick my ballistic bags across an airport floor with no visible damage. Plus, I prefer the slightly beefier structure of ballistic. Then again, you bought an A30, and you may find it easier to get into the end pockets with the thinner halcyon fabric. I could never get into the end pockets of my ballistic A30. I prefer the A45 as being easier to pack.
    I think this is a very valid point. My halcyon/dyneema bags with the white grid show no wear, but the ones with the grey grid do. They show white marks -- scuffs maybe, but not abrasions -- just by rubbing up against something. Maybe the white grid halcyon hides that kind of thing better. I feel like I do have to baby the grey grid in ways that I do not the white grid.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I've always liked this post of flitcraft's original Nordic WF's adventures on the freeway. Halcyon/dyneema is tougher than you would think.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...eema-read.html
    This is INSANE. I think a safari vehicle and airport baggage handlers can't possibly top this level of damage... I guess halcyon is indeed the way to go!

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't checked my halcyon A30 when flying, but it has been in bus luggage holds a few times. It still looks as good as new.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked my Nordic halcyon A30 last week, and had some anxiety over it, but it came back to me looking great! I can't say the same for any hard sided rolly bag I've ever checked! At few ounces lighter, I recommend Halcyon heartily.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for your advice everyone!! With all of the tips here putting my mind at ease, I officially placed my order for my very first Tom Bihn bag, a black Halcyon A30 (plus some accessories, because I couldn't help it). Soo excited!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, great first purchase! I remember waiting for our A45 and A30. I was so worried because it cost so much but have been very very happy with both bags.