Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    29
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question about carrying a bag in a bag

    I have a very bad back and shoulders and can't do single shoulder bags at all so I was thinking that I want to do a single bag backpack, but none are small enough for my shoulders to carry all day even half full (it just ends up hurting) and big enough to carry the stuff I take on a trip. So I wanted to try a day pack inside my travel bag and it has to be good straps, not the DLBP type. I feel an A30 is the right size, but so pricy if I'm only ever going to use it as a backpack.

    Can I fit a S19 or L15/12 in a S25 with a single A 45 large packing cube that holds all my clothing? Do I need a Brain Bag instead? Which day bag do you prefer for a light jacket, bottle of water, notebook, tablet, keys and wallet, cell and headphones, possibly a sandwich?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Share
    VA
    Posts
    851
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a small load for your day bag. I would think the L12 or 15 would be plenty of space. And they have those fancy straps! Not sure if it would fit in the S25 well or not. I am sure an awesome fellow forum user will get you some pics of this post hast. Best of luck.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    29
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    Sounds like a small load for your day bag. I would think the L12 or 15 would be plenty of space. And they have those fancy straps! Not sure if it would fit in the S25 well or not. I am sure an awesome fellow forum user will get you some pics of this post hast. Best of luck.
    Thanks! I've been struggling between the Synapse series and the Luminary series for my day bag. The lower volume and what you are saying makes the Luminary seem like it just makes more sense.

    Does anyone know if the L15 or L12 would fit inside a S25 with a Large A45 packing cube?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,052
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelGearJunkie View Post
    I have a very bad back and shoulders and can't do single shoulder bags at all so I was thinking that I want to do a single bag backpack, but none are small enough for my shoulders to carry all day even half full (it just ends up hurting) and big enough to carry the stuff I take on a trip. So I wanted to try a day pack inside my travel bag and it has to be good straps, not the DLBP type. I feel an A30 is the right size, but so pricy if I'm only ever going to use it as a backpack.

    Can I fit a S19 or L15/12 in a S25 with a single A 45 large packing cube that holds all my clothing? Do I need a Brain Bag instead? Which day bag do you prefer for a light jacket, bottle of water, notebook, tablet, keys and wallet, cell and headphones, possibly a sandwich?
    Because your EDC (what you carry everyday seems to be so little) an L12 with its dreamy backpack straps, looks like just the ticket.

    I don't know if the L12 would fit inside an S25, it might fit in the Brain Bag which is also a very comfortable backpack.

    The Brain Bag is a very good travel backpack on domestic airlines, some also use it internationally.

    The S19 most probably won't fit in the S25, nor the Brain Bag.


    The A45 is a great travel bag and smaller people rave for the smaller A30. Consider every Tom Bihn Bag a lifetime investment.

    I don't know if the A30 could be a good day bag. Maybe people who owns one, use it that way.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    29
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backpack,

    Good thoughts. I feel like I would prefer the BB over the S25 because the pockets are better suited for things I need mid flight, like my Kindle, but I was worried it was too big and a smaller bag may feel better running through airports and train stations. Every time I feel like I've settled on one, I start eyeing the other one again... Question about carrying a bag in a bag

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Share
    Sweden
    Posts
    226
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't use the A30 as a day bag, it's too big. I hope you find just the right day bag for you.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    248
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I'm fully following, but are you worried that getting too large of an 'outer' bag is going to hurt your shoulders because of the weight, and that's why you want to try using the S25 as the 'outer' bag? If so, perhaps adding one of the optional waist straps would help? I don't typically go the backpack route myself, but while playing around with my WF back when I first got it, I found adding the gatekeeper waist strap did make a difference.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    29
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    I'm not sure I'm fully following, but are you worried that getting too large of an 'outer' bag is going to hurt your shoulders because of the weight, and that's why you want to try using the S25 as the 'outer' bag? If so, perhaps adding one of the optional waist straps would help? I don't typically go the backpack route myself, but while playing around with my WF back when I first got it, I found adding the gatekeeper waist strap did make a difference.
    Yes, if my outer bag gets to big, I could weigh it down with more stuff than I need and not realize it so I'm trying to make sure I'm not buying a bigger bag than I need, but I have no idea how thick the new luminaries are, so even if I can be certain that it fits in an S25 length and height, when it is flat is the depth going to fit along side the 4" deep A45 Packing Cube that holds my clothes for a week+? Now with the BB, if a day bag would fit is no worry at all. I can fit all my clothes I'm the back half and all my EDC stuff in the front. I could even probably keep my day bag packed and still fit it if it is the L12. The worry there is causing me back pain.

    I usually reject hip belts on travel packs because they are so cumbersome and awkward when you are trying to put your bag in an overhead compartment, but the BB hip belt is pretty flat and able to be removed. I could use it in the airport and then take it off and stow it when I get to my gate or on a train or whatever. That really makes the BB a real contender again.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    248
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelGearJunkie View Post
    Yes, if my outer bag gets to big, I could weigh it down with more stuff than I need and not realize it so I'm trying to make sure I'm not buying a bigger bag than I need, but I have no idea how thick the new luminaries are, so even if I can be certain that it fits in an S25 length and height, when it is flat is the depth going to fit along side the 4" deep A45 Packing Cube that holds my clothes for a week+? Now with the BB, if a day bag would fit is no worry at all. I can fit all my clothes I'm the back half and all my EDC stuff in the front. I could even probably keep my day bag packed and still fit it if it is the L12. The worry there is causing me back pain.

    I usually reject hip belts on travel packs because they are so cumbersome and awkward when you are trying to put your bag in an overhead compartment, but the BB hip belt is pretty flat and able to be removed. I could use it in the airport and then take it off and stow it when I get to my gate or on a train or whatever. That really makes the BB a real contender again.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Well, with the WF, (and I assume the A30/A45/Tristar uses the same method) not only is the waist strap removable, but when it comes time to put it in the overhead bin, you can leave the waist straps connected to the backpack straps, release the backpack straps and tuck all of it away in the backpack strap storage compartment (as I like to think about it). This makes the bag smooth and has no protruding straps when putting it in the overhead bin.

    But, I hear you on trying to limit the size. When I travel with my Pilot, I'm good. It's slightly overstuffed, but manageable. When I need that touch more space and grab my WF instead, since it's twice the volume, it's difficult to restrict myself to the absolute minimum, and I end up bringing a couple of those "I want but don't need" items I had sacrificed when squeezing down to the Pilot.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,052
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelGearJunkie View Post
    Backpack,

    Good thoughts. I feel like I would prefer the BB over the S25 because the pockets are better suited for things I need mid flight, like my Kindle, but I was worried it was too big and a smaller bag may feel better running through airports and train stations. Every time I feel like I've settled on one, I start eyeing the other one again... Question about carrying a bag in a bag

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    The BB is perfect for travel within a country, like the U.S, Canada, Australia, New Zealand ; a region with more or less standard luggage protocols that can allow you to keep it under the seat or in the overhead bin.

    This is not a bag that can be checked, unless you have it shrink wrapped or get a cheap duffle to protect it. The straps are not removable and unlike the A30 or Western Flyer cannot be hidden in their own compartment.

    It looks significantly bigger than the S25.

    The smaller Luminary would be a great EDC for you, the straps are heaven and the back is wonderfully cushy, another bonus is that it is truly minimalist, no space for the kitchen sink in there.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    29
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The BB is perfect for travel within a country, like the U.S, Canada, Australia, New Zealand ; a region with more or less standard luggage protocols that can allow you to keep it under the seat or in the overhead bin.

    This is not a bag that can be checked, unless you have it shrink wrapped or get a cheap duffle to protect it. The straps are not removable and unlike the A30 or Western Flyer cannot be hidden in their own compartment.

    It looks significantly bigger than the S25.

    The smaller Luminary would be a great EDC for you, the straps are heaven and the back is wonderfully cushy, another bonus is that it is truly minimalist, no space for the kitchen sink in there.
    My main travel is either in the US or from the US to other nations. Once overseas I'm not getting on planes as much as I prefer train travel. Would the BB fit in a carry on often enough in these situations? I am in Atlanta so most of our international flights are Delta and I know they would let me take it on their flights. Not sure about other airlines though.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,052
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelGearJunkie View Post
    My main travel is either in the US or from the US to other nations. Once overseas I'm not getting on planes as much as I prefer train travel. Would the BB fit in a carry on often enough in these situations? I am in Atlanta so most of our international flights are Delta and I know they would let me take it on their flights. Not sure about other airlines though.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I don't know because in Europe, which is the area I know about, some airlines, if not most, have weight requirements.

    To Europe, I was able to take an A45 with a S19 and a Small Cafe Bag but they are in Halcyon, and I was able to make them weight less than my Cordura Brain Bag and Large Cafe Bag which weighted approximately 45 Pounds in each domestic travels.

    Now, the Brain Bag is available in Lightweight 525/210 Ballistic, now available in Cloud/Dawn, just for me to try it on, thanks TB Crew!

    My experience of Lightweight Ballistic, is that it is not as light as Halcyon but much, much lighter than 1050 Travel Ballistic.


    I think a Brain Bag would be great on Western European trains but, I have no experience in Eastern Europe, The Middle East, Africa, Asia, Oceania nor South America.

    It all depend on where you travel, I am certain that, in this forum, they are minimalist packers specialists for each continent.

    I it weren't for the Brain Bag as your sole travel bag, even overseas, I would sound like a saleswoman and tell you buy the Brain Bag, now, right away, don't think twice, if you like the colors.

    It is a wonderful backpack, I wish I had it when I was in high school and college.

    After college, I took one class which had so many heavy textbooks and workbooks, which were needed in each class. The Brain Bag saved my back.

    It did that many other time, especially one trip after "sleeping" sitting up in a folding chair, which was no sleep at all.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    29
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backpack, okay thanks! I wish it was available in the darker blue right now because that is still my favorite color, but the BB with the hip belt seems like the most logical choice. It will be easy to use both with and without the hip belt while also having the space for my day pack and still carry my basic travel load too.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    480
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had an s25 the main packing cube I used was large A30 packing cube. Then there was only room for a large snake charmer. That leads me to believe that thereís no way an L12 and an A45 packing cube will fit. Honestly, I donít think an A45 large packing cube will fit all unless under packed. Hope this helps!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    29
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    When I had an s25 the main packing cube I used was large A30 packing cube. Then there was only room for a large snake charmer. That leads me to believe that thereís no way an L12 and an A45 packing cube will fit. Honestly, I donít think an A45 large packing cube will fit all unless under packed. Hope this helps!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely. I really do think that the brain bag is the better option for what I'm wanting to try to carry. I don't necessarily have to carry an 845 packing cube but that's the thing that fits absolutely all of my clothes for a week so it was the easiest way to describe my load. But the brain back definitely will fit one so that works just as well.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •