Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the hip belt and frame for Aeronauts

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be taking our 2 kids, 6 and 11, on a three-week train trip around Europe this summer. We all travel light, but I anticipate that we grown-ups will be taking the kids' stuff in our Aeronauts (one is a 45 and one is a 30) -- they can put their fun and comfort stuff in their own packs but we'll take the clothes and toiletries and swim gear and etc etc. Thus the bags will probably be packed to maybe 10kg each.

Given that weight load, and the fact that we will have *many* transfers which involve walking around train stations, walking to train stations, waiting in train stations, etc., do you think it is worthwhile getting the frame sheets and hip belts for our bags?

Shipping/customs/etc to Sweden adds considerably to the price, so I want to feel like it's something that will really be worthwhile. Otherwise I will spend the money eating fondue in Switzerland or cakes in a Viennese café!

(Darn it, I probably should have put this in the "questions about bags" thread, sorry -- mods, can you "whoosh"? ETA: ooh, you did!)
    Last edited by ejvc; 04-04-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be taking our 2 kids, 6 and 11, on a three-week train trip around Europe this summer. We all travel light, but I anticipate that we grown-ups will be taking the kids' stuff in our Aeronauts (one is a 45 and one is a 30) -- they can put their fun and comfort stuff in their own packs but we'll take the clothes and toiletries and swim gear and etc etc. Thus the bags will probably be packed to maybe 10kg each.

Given that weight load, and the fact that we will have *many* transfers which involve walking around train stations, walking to train stations, waiting in train stations, etc., do you think it is worthwhile getting the frame sheets and hip belts for our bags?

Shipping/customs/etc to Sweden adds considerably to the price, so I want to feel like it's something that will really be worthwhile. Otherwise I will spend the money eating fondue in Switzerland or cakes in a Viennese café!

(Darn it, I probably should have put this in the "questions about bags" thread, sorry -- mods, can you "whoosh"?)
    Consider it whooshed!

In general I always think hip belts are totally worth it, but I don't own the Aeronauts so I can't speak to those specifically. I do always use hip belts on any bag on my back, even if it is only EDC-heavy not travel heavy.

I do have the Hero's Journey which is similar to the A45, and comes with a frame and belt, and I love it. I also love the effect the frame sheet and Belt have on my S25.

I'm a hip belt person, is what I am trying to say. Do you have strong preferences for this in general?

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10kg? lot of transferts? yes they totally worth it!
    The hip belt will put the weight on your hips, it help far more than you can expect, the frame will help to "egalize" (?) the weight along the bag and so it will make the hip belt more effective

(sorry for my so-so English)
    just a Bihnion here

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the hip belt, but I do have the A30 frame sheet and I find it changes the way the bag carries quite considerably - makes it more "of a piece" and less saggy. If heavily loaded it also stops the contents poking in my back!
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But (whines) it's $120 plus shipping + customs + whatever else finds its way into the shopping bag because it will be more expensive later...

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    But (whines) it's $120 plus shipping + customs + whatever else finds its way into the shopping bag because it will be more expensive later...
    Yeah I know I am far away too... but anything which really helps your back costs nothing compare to back medicamentations/treatments, so...
    I did add the padded hip belt to my GES25 order because I knew it worths it and ordering it later will cost a lot...
    (BTW, I calculated for my previous orders : -France- shipping/custom/duty combo = +30%~)

but the bright side is you have a reason to order other TBs that you really need and can't sew
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I did a month in Europe with an A45 each, right before the frame sheet and hip belt came out. As soon as we got back, the frame sheet and hip belt were released and I bought them right away for both bags. WORTH IT!

I should add that even though our A45's were fully packed, they still slouched and pulled on our shoulders. The frame sheet keeps the back of the bag from slouching, and the hip belt takes the weight off our shoulders. This would have been so much more comfortable if we'd had them on our trip.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-04-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the hip belt but generally only use it on the A45 when it's fully loaded on a work trip or home for the year end holidays. It does help transfer load from shoulders to hips. With no frame, it does slouch a bit, especially depending on how I packed.
    Mostly I travel with my A30 on my back and it's usually light enough I don't bother with the hip belt.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the frame sheet as it makes noticeable improvement to keep the bag flat on your back especially if not fully filled, when it would otherwise slouch. But even when heavily filled I have not felt the need to have the hip belt. But I am generally not carrying my Aeronaut 45 long hiking distances, just transfers in airports, to station, taxi rank, etc.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enthusiastic about the frame sheets and hip belts! I'm given to understand that not everyone likes frame sheets or even hip belts, but for me they're great. I used a Synapse hip belt as a makeshift on my Aeronaut 45 before they came out with the frame sheets and Aeronaut-specific hip belts, and that helped a lot--but now I use the frame sheet and Aeronaut-specific hip belt and it's even better.

How old is the Aeronaut 45? If it's from before 2014, make sure to get the "Aeronaut 30 or pre-2014 Aeronaut 45" frame sheet for it instead of the regular Aeronaut 45 one. You probably would notice this on the product page, but I'm pointing it out anyway because it would be such a pity if you didn't see it and ordered the wrong one, given the shipping costs to where you are! How to tell the A45's age if you aren't sure: if the dividers between the Aeronaut 45's main compartment and side compartments use snaps, get the A30 frame sheet; if they use zippers, get the A45 frame sheet.

My Forest/UV A45 (matches your A30!) is pre-2014, so I use the A30 frame sheet in it.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought them both in 2015, so I think we just get the regular kind.

It doesn't say that I could find -- how heavy are the belts and frame? (better keep making those super-lightweight packing cubes I guess).

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do see the frame weights, but not the belt weights--I'd suggest emailing emailus@tombihn.com to ask about the belt weights.

The frame weights:
    Aeronaut 45 Internal Frame: 9.9 oz / 280 grams
    Aeronaut 30 Internal Frame: 8.6 oz / 245 grams

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I spoke to my husband about the expense. As you all know, he packs mostly with plastic bags and doesn't care at all about it (although he really likes the A45). He thinks we should get them, probably, but he doesn't care, because he's strong and he's never noticed anything (but *I* have seen how his A45 slumps).

So no help there really. However with the weather warming up now, we will switch to biking to work instead of taking the bus, saving ourselves about $65 apiece this month, which conveniently adds up to the $120 we would spend on these. But not shipping and customs, sigh. Yes, yes, I am grumpy about spending money.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ejvc,
    Do you know someone who can lend you a +30 liters backpack with a hip belt ?
    1. fill it to max then try it with and without closing the hip-belt
    2. fill it with and without laptop on the back, it somehow will simulate the frame
    (do walk at least 10min )
    Last edited by Rei; 04-05-2019 at 02:45 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I pushed the button! $120 + $45 shipping + ca 25% duty = $210 about. They better be good straps.