Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S19 (Halcyon) vs Daylight Backpack (Any material)

This may seem like a far-off comparison, but I'm hoping someone here can humor me. I'm undecided on keeping the daylight backpack I ordered because I miss the compartments in my Synapse 25.

Looking at the dimensions, the S19 seems similar in size (l x w) to the daylight and keeping it as light and squishy as possible, the halcyon material is probably the best comparison.

If anyone has both bags, can you post some pictures of each and include one with the same stuff packed into each bag as well? I know the synapses can bulge a bit, but if lightly packed with the same load, I'm curious how much bigger it looks over the daylight.

Unfortunately, there are no halcyon S19's in stock at the moment or I would buy one to try out this comparison myself.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kinds of things would you be likely to carry? Our comparison photos will be more valuable for you if we can try packing more or less the same things you'd want to carry.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    What kinds of things would you be likely to carry? Our comparison photos will be more valuable for you if we can try packing more or less the same things you'd want to carry.
    Sorry, that makes sense to include.

Bose QC25 headphones in case
    A stuffed 3d organizer cube
    Small snake charmer
    Side effect
    8in tablet
    Kindle Paperwhite
    Nintendo switch in case (basically an 8in tablet in a bulky case)
    Samsung Galaxy s8 cell phone

My idea is that the snake charmer and 3d organizer cube would go in the outer compartments (maybe the bottom one?) and everything else would go in the main compartment.

In the daylight, all of that is just crammed in the main compartment and it's just a mess trying to get to anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the pockets on the S19 will be the wrong shape/size for your items. They are not the same size as on the S25, but noticeably smaller.

Either small snake charmer or side effect in bottom pocket works fine, but you won't be able to fit a second item in, it will be full. If the snake charmer or SE is stuffed, you will struggle.

The side pockets are too small to fit any of your items except your phone. A 3DOC is too large if it is full, though an under packed one can be squished in. This works best with a mesh 3DOC. These pockets are a good fit for a size 1 travel stuff sack or a 330ml can of soda or a 500ml nalgene water bottle. I am told the small q kit fits well here but I don't have one to try.

I have put a full 3DOC in the centre water bottle pocket before and used the extra vertical space for a scarf or something, but it annoyed me and I think the pocket only really works for its intended use, though that doesn't help you if you're not planning on bringing a water bottle!

Means you'd still have most of your gear in the main compartment, except this time the main compartment in the S19 is smaller than the main compartment on the daylight (to my eyes at least)

I love my S19 but it doesn't sound ideal for your scenario.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    I think the pockets on the S19 will be the wrong shape/size for your items. They are not the same size as on the S25, but noticeably smaller.

Either small snake charmer or side effect in bottom pocket works fine, but you won't be able to fit a second item in, it will be full. If the snake charmer or SE is stuffed, you will struggle.

The side pockets are too small to fit any of your items except your phone. A 3DOC is too large if it is full, though an under packed one can be squished in. This works best with a mesh 3DOC. These pockets are a good fit for a size 1 travel stuff sack or a 330ml can of soda or a 500ml nalgene water bottle. I am told the small q kit fits well here but I don't have one to try.

I have put a full 3DOC in the centre water bottle pocket before and used the extra vertical space for a scarf or something, but it annoyed me and I think the pocket only really works for its intended use, though that doesn't help you if you're not planning on bringing a water bottle!

Means you'd still have most of your gear in the main compartment, except this time the main compartment in the S19 is smaller than the main compartment on the daylight (to my eyes at least)

I love my S19 but it doesn't sound ideal for your scenario.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the explanation. I had ordered an s19 once before sometime last year before ordering the s25 and had remembered that the pockets were smaller, but I had forgotten how much smaller. I think you're right, it won't quite work for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While reading @gqb's thoughtful post it occurred to me that the things that won't fit nicely into the S19's pockets are containers for other things. @nolegrl, do you need to keep these things in the SE, the Snake Charmer, etc or could you move the contents directly to the S19's pockets, or to a couple of Size 1 TSS that will go in the S19's pockets? I don't know if that would work for your needs or not, but it's a possibility.

If you had a slightly different load I might suggest using a Freudian Slip in the Daylight Backpack to help keep stuff findable, but I'm not sure it would work well for what you carry. But if some of the things that are currently in the Snake Charmer, 3DOC or SE would transfer neatly to the pockets of a FS, these are the Freudian Slips that fit the DLBP:

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    The MCB one fits nicely in the lower shingled pocket. The SCB one fits nicely in the upper shingled pocket. The Synapse 19 one fits both in main compartment or on the front zipper pocket.

I am not siggesting useing them all at once but these are the ones Inthonk work best in the DLBP.

Ilkyway
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.