Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Duffel bag recommendation?

While I wait impatiently for my Luminary 12 preorder to ship, I'm already considering my next bag purchase. Not just a bag addiction here (ok, I mean, that's obviously part of it) - I'm doing a lot of travel this summer and I'm not quite sure that I'm prepared.

My summer trips include:
    • 5-ish days road tripping around Vancouver Island (still planning this one)
    • flight to the east coast for 4 days in NYC followed by bus to 6 days at a NJ beach
    • road trip to beach camp on the Oregon coast
    • 3 nights car camping in the North Cascades
    • plus a few backpacking trips, and maybe a weekend trip to Portland

(Yes, I'm incredibly lucky and super excited to have this summer lined up!!)

The bags I already know I'll be using:
    • Side Effect (my EDC which comes with me everywhere)
    • Hiking-specific backpacks (REI Flash 18 (the only bag I love almost as much as my TB bags - super lightweight including very thin/light straps, dedicated water bladder pocket, etc) which I use for all my day hikes, and an Osprey backpacking pack)
    • Luminary 12 (planning to use for a day pack on the less hiking-intensive trips - specifically the east coast trip and possibly the Oregon coast trip)
    • Shop Bags (great for snacks, etc for road trips, likely will also use as a beach bag for the two beach trips)

You may notice that I'm missing a main bag... I've tried out the following configurations for flying:
    • SA as carry-on, SE as personal item - works, but I always need more on the plane than can fit in the SE (most notably, water bottle, but also Kindle, snacks, extra charger, etc that fill the SE to bursting if I try to squeeze them all in), and I don't like putting the SA under the seat (it's a tight fit and cuts into leg room)
    • SA as carry-on, SSB as personal item (also carrying the SE crossbody then put it into the SSB before boarding) - gives me access to everything I need on the plane, but I don't love this solution because carrying the SSB and a backpack at the same time is a hassle (my shoulders don't have enough room for that!)
    • S19 as carry-on, SE as personal item - put the S19 under the seat in front of me, so then I can access whatever I want. This really only works if I'm being really disciplined and don't have any unexpected extras (which always seems to happen).

I'm small (5'4 and petite), and the SA and S19 fit me very well (I had a S25 which I sold because it was just too long for my torso), and I find them very comfortable for schlepping from place to place - I often take public transit to/from the airport and/or end up walking around a bit with my luggage, so it's nice to have most everything corralled into a backpack. But I don't really love the day to day of living out of the bag once I'm at my destination (the SA in particular makes this difficult), and I find both of them a bit too big for an at-destination day pack (plus I don't relish the thought of fully unpacking everything to do so, even though it's typically all neatly corralled into packing cubes), so then I end up having to also pack something for that... Also, most of my trips this summer are road trips, where needing a backpack for the trip to the airport / the flight / the trip from the airport / ease at my destination no longer applies.

So basically, that was all a ramble-y way to say - I think I need a duffel bag. But now I'm overwhelmed by my choices! The Aeronaut 30 makes a lot of sense to me because it still has a backpack mode. But it's also pretty heavy, expensive, and not that different in capacity from the SA (and it may be too long on my torso in backpack mode anyhow). The Road Buddy Duffel 36 is (slightly) lighter, cheaper, and bigger, so that makes sense. But then there's also the Yeoman Duffel (Small or Medium) that takes the cake on weight and price, at the cost of organization - for the car camping trips, this may make the most sense since I'm pretty sure I can easily fit all my camping gear in the Medium size. Of course, if I'm considering the Medium Yeoman Duffel (44 liters) then I should probably consider the A45 too... It's all making my head spin! Can anyone give a good comparison of the pros/cons of these different duffels?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5'4" and my go-to combo is A30 on my back plus Pilot for work trips (large laptop) or SSB for personal trips. The A30 has 4L on the SA...and it's (to me) infinitely more 'liveable outable' than the SA. If I have to move every night, SA is the bomb. If I'm parked for several nights, A30 is where it's at.
    Personally, I like to pack with cubes and I like the option of using a PCSB, SK, TC, or SE as a packable option as a 'walking around' bag once I've arrived... the DLBC is also a multipurpose favorite of mine for that... haven't really gotten into the DLBP, mostly because I'm already so happy with my other options.

For car camping, I go with the cheaper and more flexible options of the Yeoman Duffels. I don't have any Road Buddy Duffels, but they are obvious contenders too. If I'm mostly going via car, I don't need the cost/complexity a backpack option on my duffel.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the medium yeoman for car camping with great success.
    I organised with some packing cubes - it fits lots of different sizes so if you already have some that you like, that should work.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeoman duffel = simplicity. Lots of room for packing cubes and odd shaped items. Light in weight, strong in use. Easy to store when not used. Less expensive to buy than the more featured alternatives. If you need exterior organisation then the Road Buddy is a great option. We have and use both!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the RB 36 as well as the small YD, and for longer trips an A45. In my experience the A45 (and I think this also holds true for the A30) is the best bag for travelling with a train or plane because of the different carrying options. An important difference for me is the placement of the carrying handle: The A45 and A30 can be carried on-edge while the RB36 is carried horizontally which is much less comfortable because the bag is quite wide. When carrying the RB over your shoulder the situation is different, as you can fix the shoulder strap also on the side of the bag so that you can carry it on-edge as the Aeronauts. The YDs are the most basic of all the duffle bags and I like them for their simplicity. Another advantage of the YDs is that they can be stowed away very easily as they pack very small and they are very light. The difference between the RB36 and the A30 in terms of weight is not much (2 lbs 14 oz / 1300 g vs. 2 lbs / 1100 g).
    I also have a SA and use it a lot but I would always prefer even a small duffel for travelling purposes because I find it a lot easier to access my stuff from a horizontal bag compared to a backpack.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A30 would be my recommendation, it's absolutely great on the plane and when camping it is MUCH more accessible lying flat than any backpack I've ever used. I wouldn't take it backpacking backpacking (i.e. multi-night hiking with it as a main bag), and I don't take it for overnights or two-night trips (usually) because I don't need that much stuff but otherwise...

See, when you put the bag down and open it, the packing cubes or packed clothes are all just lying there, just like a bureau drawer. Which means, if you can't unpack or don't want to you don't have to! The lid compartment is great for stashing stuff you need to have easy to find. The ends can keep tech, toiletries, etc neatly corralled.

Yep, I love mine and wouldn't trade it. I just ordered frame sheet and hip belt which will help with the MASSIVE amount of stuff that fits in this bag lol, but I've only ever found it really heavy when I stuffed it to capacity travelling for three weeks (work conference, hot vacation, and winter in Northern Europe) and went on several long flights with long layovers. I'm 5'6".

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks for all the good advice! I'm leaning towards the A30 since it's also likely to be useful for air travel moving forward - plus I totally forgot about the frame sheet and hip belt which will probably help with fit. Cringing a little at the cost but I'll be starting a new job soon so a present to myself may be justified 🙂 I'll have to make time to head to the mothership (since I'm lucky enough to live in Seattle!) to check it out in person.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Wow thanks for all the good advice! I'm leaning towards the A30 since it's also likely to be useful for air travel moving forward - plus I totally forgot about the frame sheet and hip belt which will probably help with fit. Cringing a little at the cost but I'll be starting a new job soon so a present to myself may be justified �� I'll have to make time to head to the mothership (since I'm lucky enough to live in Seattle!) to check it out in person.
    Going to check the bags out in person is a great idea if you can - but don't be surprised if you come away with more than intended! So much temptation!
    Personally I like to be able to have a few different TB bags to suit the specific journey/use. I am lucky enough to be able to do that (in moderation) but it has taken a few years and many trials to determine which to keep. Regular use - YD, RB or MRD, NFTD, SA. We have an A30 but hardly ever use it, and multiple Shop Bags which are amazingly useful for so many things. Also SK, TC and various OPs!!!! Don't even start me on colour choices......that's another conversation!
    Last edited by KAB; 04-07-2019 at 06:19 AM.

A little state with a big heart
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post NYC to NJ beaches

Not bag related, but as a daytrip you can take a ferry from NYC directly to Sandy Hook State Park. There is also a nude beach: Gunneson beach, if your interested. You could take NJ transit train further south to other nice beaches, Pt Pleasant is where we go. There are lots of places to watch surfing nearby. You can easily catch an uber to nearby towns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    While I wait impatiently for my Luminary 12 preorder to ship, I'm already considering my next bag purchase. Not just a bag addiction here (ok, I mean, that's obviously part of it) - I'm doing a lot of travel this summer and I'm not quite sure that I'm prepared.

My summer trips include:
    • 5-ish days road tripping around Vancouver Island (still planning this one)
    • flight to the east coast for 4 days in NYC followed by bus to 6 days at a NJ beach
    • road trip to beach camp on the Oregon coast
    • 3 nights car camping in the North Cascades
    • plus a few backpacking trips, and maybe a weekend trip to Portland

(Yes, I'm incredibly lucky and super excited to have this summer lined up!!)

The bags I already know I'll be using:
    • Side Effect (my EDC which comes with me everywhere)
    • Hiking-specific backpacks (REI Flash 18 (the only bag I love almost as much as my TB bags - super lightweight including very thin/light straps, dedicated water bladder pocket, etc) which I use for all my day hikes, and an Osprey backpacking pack)
    • Luminary 12 (planning to use for a day pack on the less hiking-intensive trips - specifically the east coast trip and possibly the Oregon coast trip)
    • Shop Bags (great for snacks, etc for road trips, likely will also use as a beach bag for the two beach trips)

You may notice that I'm missing a main bag... I've tried out the following configurations for flying:
    • SA as carry-on, SE as personal item - works, but I always need more on the plane than can fit in the SE (most notably, water bottle, but also Kindle, snacks, extra charger, etc that fill the SE to bursting if I try to squeeze them all in), and I don't like putting the SA under the seat (it's a tight fit and cuts into leg room)
    • SA as carry-on, SSB as personal item (also carrying the SE crossbody then put it into the SSB before boarding) - gives me access to everything I need on the plane, but I don't love this solution because carrying the SSB and a backpack at the same time is a hassle (my shoulders don't have enough room for that!)
    • S19 as carry-on, SE as personal item - put the S19 under the seat in front of me, so then I can access whatever I want. This really only works if I'm being really disciplined and don't have any unexpected extras (which always seems to happen).

I'm small (5'4 and petite), and the SA and S19 fit me very well (I had a S25 which I sold because it was just too long for my torso), and I find them very comfortable for schlepping from place to place - I often take public transit to/from the airport and/or end up walking around a bit with my luggage, so it's nice to have most everything corralled into a backpack. But I don't really love the day to day of living out of the bag once I'm at my destination (the SA in particular makes this difficult), and I find both of them a bit too big for an at-destination day pack (plus I don't relish the thought of fully unpacking everything to do so, even though it's typically all neatly corralled into packing cubes), so then I end up having to also pack something for that... Also, most of my trips this summer are road trips, where needing a backpack for the trip to the airport / the flight / the trip from the airport / ease at my destination no longer applies.

So basically, that was all a ramble-y way to say - I think I need a duffel bag. But now I'm overwhelmed by my choices! The Aeronaut 30 makes a lot of sense to me because it still has a backpack mode. But it's also pretty heavy, expensive, and not that different in capacity from the SA (and it may be too long on my torso in backpack mode anyhow). The Road Buddy Duffel 36 is (slightly) lighter, cheaper, and bigger, so that makes sense. But then there's also the Yeoman Duffel (Small or Medium) that takes the cake on weight and price, at the cost of organization - for the car camping trips, this may make the most sense since I'm pretty sure I can easily fit all my camping gear in the Medium size. Of course, if I'm considering the Medium Yeoman Duffel (44 liters) then I should probably consider the A45 too... It's all making my head spin! Can anyone give a good comparison of the pros/cons of these different duffels?