Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brain Bag as a One Bag Solution.

Although I have used an A45 as my primary carry for several years, I have decided to downsize things a little bit and am seriously looking at a Brain Bag as my single bag carry for trips overseas. We are usually there for 3 weeks and I donít mind washing my things in the sink as we go so there should be sufficient capacity in the BB.

I have probably read the majority of posts in the forums about the BB but I am still not 100% sure on the packing cubes best suited for this bag. Iíve seen some pretty impressive diagrams in the forum of what cubes will fit length and width wise but Iíve seen nothing on the effective depth of the two main compartments. I plan to use the A45 cubes but want to know if I might be able to stack 2 cubes or stack an iPad cache on top of an A45 cube in one of the main compartments. If I need to buy other cubes that work better I am willing to do that too.

Thanks for your help.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @Mredden! Hopefully folks will chime in soon... I don't have a BB to help you with this.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aeronaut 45 large packing cubes fit well in the Brain Bag. Almost perfect width and thickness and occupying about 70% (bit more than 60% I first said) of the height of each Brain Bag compartment. For me that works well as I can then also fit Snake Charmer, Spiff Kit, etc on top. Provided the packing cube is not overfilled it is still possible to use cache for iPad.

I use my Brain Bag in this way for shorter trips. But personally I prefer the Aeronaut 45 for longer trips due to its increased capacity, even if not intending to overfill, plus also for flexibility of packing and ease of access to contents. But Aeronaut 45 and Brain Bag are both great products and good options for travel.

Edited after checking with bags to change comment on height of Aeronaut 45 packing cube in Brain Bag compartment.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 04-07-2019 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Updated

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own a BB never travel as minimalist yet (I mean under 35L one bag) but some (women and men) do travel with a S19 or S25, so I am pretty sure the BB (which is more cavernous) will be a great solution,
    Regarding the packing cube, the A30 packing cubes fit into the S25, so likely into the BB too, I think some use Tristar packing cubes for the S25 (not sure which ones), since the BB has almost the same height as the S25, I think they should also fit (even better)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a BB and an A45. Mostly the 45 gets used when my wife and I are traveling together. By myself the BB with cubes from the 45 works nicely. Note that the BB is my EDC for work, with a 15” Mac, Freudian Slip and whatever I need to bring back and forth.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also own a BB and an A45. The big A45 packing cubes fit nicely inside the BB compartments and fill about 60% of its space.

One bag travel with a BB is doable depending on the shoes issue.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both an A45 and BB all the time and I have no TB Packing Cubes.

I use the Eagle Creek stuff as I have had it longer than the bags and they work well for me in all bags all of the time.

Either bag seems to work equally well for me with whichever packing gear I choose as the cubes/folders re not hard sided or fixed in size and shape in any real way.
    I just load them and slide them in and have never had a single issue doing so?

The BB is a whole lot tougher to load and unload to me though as there is just limited access from the partly zippered openings.
    Unless I need a better Back Pack,I almost always prefer the A45 for this reason.
    The BB is also really "Strappy" in comparison whole the A45 is just clean and with the strap removed can be checked through with little concern if flying.

And I do have 3 Brain Bags too!