Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to justify an Aeronaut 30 in addition to already having an Aeronaut 45

I already have and regularly use an Aeronaut 45 (A45) and love it.

Generally I do one bag travel. Any other bags (Daylight Briefcase, Daylight Backpack, Shopping Bag...) which I may need later on my travels are packed flat in the Aeronaut 45 and my everyday Side Kick in an end pocket. I rarely fill the A45 to capacity and sometimes the A45 is at the limit of space on busy flights and smaller regional aircraft.

I read many good reviews for the A30 and clearly its slightly smaller size could be more practical. It also may work better for business travel where an A30 with perhaps a Pilot would be more practical and give roughly same total generous volume. The Aubergine/Wasabi A30 and Pilot currently available are really tempting me as it seems a very good colour that coordinates well with many clothing and appearance for both formal and informal travel.

However I am really struggling whether to push the order button...

What stops me is that despite the volume differences between the A45 and A30, the dimension differences are relatively small - only around 3-5 centimetres smaller in each dimension.
    - A45 Dimensions: 21.9" (w) x 14" (h) x 9.1" (d) / 555 (w) x 355 (h) x 230 (d) mm
    - A30 Dimensions: 19.7" (w) x 12.6" (h) x 7.9" (d) / 500 (w) x 320 (h) x 200 (d) mm

Is this correct? It seems almost negligible? I am struggling to see how an A30 will be any more practical than an under-filled A45?

Any thoughts, especially from anyone using both A30 and A45, would be much appreciated.

David

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The differences may only be a couple of inches in each dimension, but the cumulative effect makes a striking difference in capacity.

I came at this question from the inverse perspective: I had an A30 and thought I might want just a tad more room for an extended European trip, so I ordered an A45 out of curiosity.

While the A45 didn't seem as visually large as I had expected when unpacked/underpacked, I quickly realized that a fully-packed A45 would be more bag than I needed to carry. I didn't want to be tempted to fill up that much space (and tote as much weight as the A45 can handle). Even fully-packed, the A30 somehow manages to look pretty svelte and remain quite manageable. Overall, it strikes just the right size/weight/capacity balance for me. Your mileage may vary, of course... especially if you want to carry spare shoes or other bulky/irregularly-shaped items.

The A30 + Pilot combo is really nice, if you don't mind carrying two bags. If you want to stick to one, though, you already have a fantastic bag and, realistically, there's a point of diminishing returns: I am not sure that getting two more bags whose total capacity adds up to roughly the same as the one you already own is exactly practical... but it sounds like you really want the Aubergine/Wasabi combo, and there's nothing wrong with treating yourself to something you really want! :-) (It isn't always possible to find the same color combos in different bags, so -- if you think you would regret missing out on a matched set down the line, in the event that Aubergine/Wasabi becomes unavailable in either one of the bags -- that may be something to consider, as well.)

Good luck!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 04-07-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the A30, A45, and Pilot... I only use my A45 for work trips that require awkwardly shaped extra stuff, heavy safety shoes, etc. or sometimes for my year end flight home when I'm carrying a lot of presents. At 5'4", I find the A45 fully packed can be much harder to carry due to it's height vs my torso length and of course it can get heavy - though a hip belt helps with that. Work travel is regular enough for me to justify the expense though.

The A30 is much more svelte as @bb93fo57 mentions. On less 'stuff' intensive work trips, I usually carry the A30 with the Pilot, neither completely full. On those trips, having a business appropriate Pilot to haul the laptop, files, and samples at my destination works for me. If it's a really short trip, I use the Daylight Briefcase inside the A30 for the laptop... but my huge work laptop barely fits it, so I have to be more mindful of slinging it around. The DLBC makes a great 'walking around' bag if I stay the weekend too.

On personal trips, I usually just use the A30, often with a zip Shop Bag or PCSB under the seat in front of me - more for convenience than anything else. I like single bag travel in theory, but in practice I usually don't bother.

YMMV.... if you have sufficient volume of different types of travel that joy of options outweighs the not inconsiderable cost, then it's worth contemplating getting your colour choice now, if the financials aren't a strain. If you travel infrequently and are disciplined enough to under pack, then you may be better off as you are.

Since you're in France, the cost to return a bag is probably high... you might want to see if you can arrange a meet-up with an A30 owner somewhere and see one in person.
    Last edited by G42; 04-07-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!