Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another bag washing question

I have an aged Smart Alec with Steel exterior (Solar interior!), and lately I've been noticing that the top of the Steel portion is looking pretty grungy. I think I'm clear on how to wash it (use a mild dish soap, let it soak for a while, use a soft toothbrush to scrub anything that needs scrubbing), and when re-waterproofing with Nikwax I know to apply it while the bag is still wet, thanks to other Forum members' experiences.

However, I haven't noticed anyone talking about what parts of the bag they're applying the waterproofing to. Should I apply Nikwax to the lining, too? Or just to the exterior?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not yet felt any need to reproof my Tom Bihn bags, but on other bags I only reproofed the exterior materials. But that's only because I didn't stop to consider whether any value to also apply to interior...? So interesting question. Agree totally with caution to apply reproofing when bag is still wet.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logically waterproofing needs only to be applied to the exterior unless you think it may rain inside the bag? :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably isn't necessary unless the exterior waterproofing fails. But I am sure a couple of sprays inside couldn't hurt as long as you follow the same instructions to wipe with a damp cloth. Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I washed a stain off my Sidekick and it removed the waterproofing. Since it pours in Florida, I really want to rewaterproof the bag, but I'm having a hard time finding the spray Nikwax.

What's it called (exact wording) and where can I buy it or order it from?

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I washed a stain off my Sidekick and it removed the waterproofing. Since it pours in Florida, I really want to rewaterproof the bag, but I'm having a hard time finding the spray Nikwax.

What's it called (exact wording) and where can I buy it or order it from?
    It's Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof, it comes in spray and concentrated versions (the latter is to be diluted and put in a spray bottle). TB carriers the latter right now and I found the former on Amazon. Good luck!

P.S. Last night I learned that Nikwax products with green lids are for cleaning and the ones with purple lids are for waterproofing; mentioning it in case that's useful knowledge for you too.
    Last edited by aedifica; 04-12-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Logically waterproofing needs only to be applied to the exterior unless you think it may rain inside the bag? :-)
    I use the Smart Alec most often for carrying groceries, so it could rain all kinds of things inside the bag! Salsa, distilled water, juice, even eggs...

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I use the Smart Alec most often for carrying groceries, so it could rain all kinds of things inside the bag! Salsa, distilled water, juice, even eggs...
    And I think that answers my own question. I'll apply the Nikwax inside and out... after I order the Nikwax and get around to washing the Smart Alec.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a plastic water bottle fail inside my Brain Bag 2nd main compartment while I was traveling in India. The compartment was fully waterproofed and contained all of the water, isolating it completely from my other main compartment - the one with my laptop and iPad in it. Beautiful quality.