Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I too short for the Synapse 25?

I want the Synapse 25, however I’m only 160cm (5’3”) tall.

Bags I have used and liked:
    Kipling Seoul Go (27L): 35cm Width x 44cm Height x 20.5cm Depth
    Brooks Rivington (16L): 28cm Width x 43cm Height x 14cm Depth

Bag I found too big/ long for my feature:
    Osprey Nebula (34L): 33cm Width x 50cm Height x 30cm Depth

My current to go back is the Brooks Rivington, which is 16L. While it fits everything I need to bring, it’s a very tight fit. Maybe because it’s a rolls-top bag. I really hate a jam-packed bag, it's annoying!

I want an extra space, something that can fit 3 days worth of clothes, 1L water bottle, fleece jacket, and my MacBook Pro 13”. 25L seems like the perfect size.

Will the height of the Synapse 50 be a problem- aesthetically and physically? It’s dimension is similar to the Osprey Nebula. Silly question, but- If the Nebula doesn’t fit me, does it mean that the Synapse won’t fit me as well?
    Last edited by some_neurologist; 04-18-2019 at 05:08 AM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m 5’4” woman and use both the S25 and S19 and don’t use the internal frame with either.

The S19 is great for my light-pack days but at least half the time it’s too small. That’s when I carry the S25 instead. In the S25, my daily carry is a cached HP Elitebook (13”), iPad (no cache or sitting in notebook cache), iPhone XR in side effect hung in main compartment, minimalist wallet and keys, work badge and key, earbuds, q-kit for doodads like tissues, an organizer with life savers, water bottle, lunch, and sunhat. In transitional months like now, I usually stuff in my jacket into the pack in the afternoon so I can be hands free.

For me, the secret to comfortable S25 wear is keeping it under-filled a bit. It’s shape then conforms best to my back. Additionally, I prefer to carry my packs higher on my shoulders rather than like some who wear it slumping half-way down their back.

Both Synapses are the most comfortable packs I’ve ever carried. TB succeeded in designing a strap system that’s comfortable for a woman’s shoulders as well as a man’s. It also helps that both packs can be comfortable one-shoulder carries, unlike many other packs. I carried the Osprey Nova for a while and the S25 is much more comfortable.

This is my long-winded way of saying I definitely am comfortable wearing the S25 — and a variety of other similiar-sized women have said the same. However, there are some who have said the opposite too.

My recommendation is to buy and try the S25 if that’s what you’re favoring. Load it up and see how comfortable it is. If it doesn’t immediately feel comfortable, then I’d recommend trying again over a couple of nights, with different packing approaches and strap lengths. More than any other pack brand, I’ve found it beneficial to do this with TB packs to find the optimal organization and comfort.
    Last edited by KathyH; 04-18-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of links to shorter women talking about wearing the S25, with picutres.

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...e-19-25-a.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...html#post50002
    Last edited by KathyH; 04-18-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @KathyH
    May I ask how does the internal frame benefit us shorter people? Seems like many people recommend the internal frame, especially if you are shorter- not sure why!

I'm not too concerned about the comfort as I like to carry my bag half full or 3/4 full max, I just don't want the bag to cover my entire back
    Do you have a photo of you wearing both backpacks? I'd like to see how if the S25 falls below or above the hips.
    Last edited by some_neurologist; 04-18-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember that I have also used The North Face Recon, which is 49cm- almost as tall as the Synapse 25. It fits me perfectly.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by some_neurologist View Post
    I want the Synapse 25, however Iím only 160cm (5í3Ē) tall.

Bags I have used and liked:
    Kipling Seoul Go (27L): 35cm Width x 44cm Height x 20.5cm Depth
    Brooks Rivington (16L): 28cm Width x 43cm Height x 14cm Depth

Bag I found too big/ long for my feature:
    Osprey Nebula (34L): 33cm Width x 50cm Height x 30cm Depth

My current to go back is the Brooks Rivington, which is 16L. While it fits everything I need to bring, itís a very tight fit. Maybe because itís a rolls-top bag. I really hate a jam-packed bag, it's annoying!

I want an extra space, something that can fit 3 days worth of clothes, 1L water bottle, fleece jacket, and my MacBook Pro 13Ē. 25L seems like the perfect size.

Will the height of the Synapse 50 be a problem- aesthetically and physically? Itís dimension is similar to the Osprey Nebula. Silly question, but- If the Nebula doesnít fit me, does it mean that the Synapse wonít fit me as well?
    I am 5'3" and own two S25s and an S19. The S25 is my daily carry, and I only use the S19 on days when I'm traveling especially light (i.e. sans laptop). I like the way the S25 sits on my back and the shape is conducive to carrying decent loads. Obviously it's a matter of personal preferences, but I'm the same height as you and my S25s get used 25 days a month compared to maybe one or two days a month for the smaller S19.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @KathyH
    May I ask how does the internal frame benefit us shorter people? Seems like many people recommend the internal frame, especially if you are shorter- not sure why!

I'm not too concerned about the comfort as I like to carry my bag half full or 3/4 full max, I just don't want the bag to cover my entire back
    Do you have a photo of you wearing both backpacks? I'd like to see how if the S25 falls below or above the hips.
    I haven’t tried the frame myself so this is second hand. The two most common reasons I’ve read are:

- Preventing items in the main compartment from poking you in the back (In my EDC, I’m always carrying a laptop or iPad against my back so it’s not an issue for me).

- The additional structure allows the pack to more easily remain upright.

Proponents could probably provide some additional insights. It seems like most folks either love the frames or don’t care.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @KathyH
    Have something better. Check out the links I posted above. The first link has a pic fromMelminimalist, 5’, with a loaded S25. The second is apost from Dorayme, 5’2”, where she models a variety of packs, including the S25, S19, and BB. You can get great since of pack length along the back of similar-height woman.

P.S. I corrected the Dorayme link so it goes right to her original post.