Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Aeronaut Laundry Packing Cubes

Out of curiosity, on the Aeronaut Laundry Packing Cubes (either Large or Small), is there any con of doing this version of the packing cube outside of the additional cost? Curious to know people's thoughts that have used these cubes instead.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @djkindred!

There's a small amount of additional weight if you use cubes in general... not just the additional cost.
    I have A30 laundry cubes in all three colours so that I can use the colour coding to differentiate what's in each one. I use the same cubes in the A45 - tuck other random items in the leftover space instead of buying the second set.

I think the biggest thing to consider is if you like packing in cubes today and are you happy folding your items to fit the cube space... and then which size do you want.

ETA: all 3 of my A30 laundry cubes are the small size... one usually holds socks/undies/bras; second is shirts; third is sleep stuff & workout clothes. Extra pants I fold and place flat in the bottom of the main compartment
    Last edited by G42; 04-23-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @G42! This is helpful information.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go the other way to G42.

I use A45 cubes in both my A45 and A30. Just try not to overpack them if youíre using for A30.

I like the laundry ones much better. Only downside I find is that now you have dirty clothes across three bags instead of having just one bag of some sort for dirty laundry (I used to use a 8L dry sac as my laundry bag before I got these cubes)

Cubes themselves are amazing though. My only gripe with the current cubes is the zips are significantly smaller than they were in the last version of the cubes. Itís ok though I put some pull cord on it and itís manageable now. Kinda worked out ok cos I even put red pulls on the dirty side and black on the clean side Aeronaut Laundry Packing CubesAeronaut Laundry Packing Cubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    I go the other way to G42.

I use A45 cubes in both my A45 and A30. Just try not to overpack them if youíre using for A30.

I like the laundry ones much better. Only downside I find is that now you have dirty clothes across three bags instead of having just one bag of some sort for dirty laundry (I used to use a 8L dry sac as my laundry bag before I got these cubes)

Cubes themselves are amazing though. My only gripe with the current cubes is the zips are significantly smaller than they were in the last version of the cubes. Itís ok though I put some pull cord on it and itís manageable now. Kinda worked out ok cos I even put red pulls on the dirty side and black on the clean side Aeronaut Laundry Packing CubesAeronaut Laundry Packing Cubes

Thanks @LordAnubis! Very helpful info.

I did read elsewhere that they mentioned the current cubes went to #3 zippers and read the same complaint. However, the current product listing shows #5 zippers, is this correct? Were they larger than #5 previously? I do see a retired design with #3 and another retired design with #5. This isnít really a deal killer at the end day though.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djkindred View Post
    Thanks @LordAnubis! Very helpful info.

I did read elsewhere that they mentioned the current cubes went to #3 zippers and read the same complaint. However, the current product listing shows #5 zippers, is this correct? Were they larger than #5 previously? I do see a retired design with #3 and another retired design with #5. This isnít really a deal killer at the end day though.

Sorry I couldnít tell ya which zippers they are. I donít have my cubes with me where I am at the moment.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @djkindred: Here is a comparison pic of different A45 packing cubes: on the left a large Laundry Packing Cube (Island Aether), on the right a small Packing Cube (Wasabi Aether, ordered in 2017) and on top an End Pocket Packing Cube in 200 Halcyon (much to my regret these have been discontinued, I think they are the ideal universal packing cubes for shoes as they are much sturdier than the Aether ones). The Aether cubes have smaller zippers and the Halcyon cube has a larger zipper. I don't know the actual numbers but I am sure others can tell you. The smaller zippers are fine to me and perhaps they do match the more subtle texture of the Aether better. As all the YKK zippers they work great.

Aeronaut Laundry Packing Cubes-pc_zip-1-jpg

I really like the Laundry Packing Cubes because they allow me to pack exactly the same way to and from my destination without mixing fresh and used clothes. I don't see any disadvantage.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are no cons to the laundry packing cubes. If you normally use regular packing cubes, the Laundry ones are exactly the same except you can separate your clean from your dirty clothes and the cube still takes up the same space.

I like to fold my clothes, but you can also roll your clothes and put them in the cubes, so the cubes work for any packing style. The interior divider will float and bend around whatever packing method you use.

Yeah, there's one extra zipper and the interior divider, but they weigh a fraction of an ounce.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    @djkindred: Here is a comparison pic of different A45 packing cubes: on the left a large Laundry Packing Cube (Island Aether), on the right a small Packing Cube (Wasabi Aether, ordered in 2017) and on top an End Pocket Packing Cube in 200 Halcyon (much to my regret these have been discontinued, I think they are the ideal universal packing cubes for shoes as they are much sturdier than the Aether ones). The Aether cubes have smaller zippers and the Halcyon cube has a larger zipper. I don't know the actual numbers but I am sure others can tell you. The smaller zippers are fine to me and perhaps they do match the more subtle texture of the Aether better. As all the YKK zippers they work great.

Aeronaut Laundry Packing Cubes-pc_zip-1-jpg

I really like the Laundry Packing Cubes because they allow me to pack exactly the same way to and from my destination without mixing fresh and used clothes. I don't see any disadvantage.
    Thanks @bartleby! The picture showing the difference is helpful.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own an A45 plus one large and two small laundry packing cubes. They’re great, I have no regrets.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my most recent trips I was annoyed by the Scrubba full of dirty clothes (I try to wash as I go but for various reasons on these last two trips I wasn't able to keep up).
    I am planning to buy an A30 in the near future... maybe I'll get some laundry cubes to go with it!

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed no cons to the laundry packing cubes - just a little more expensive. My preference for the A45 that works well for me is one large packing cube plus one large laundry packing cube.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first TB packing cube purchase was a set of small laundry and non-laundry A30 cubes. At first, I did not like the laundry cube. It just felt harder to pack even with the floating divider that should have given me the same capacity. However, having traveled a fair amount with both or just one, I find myself using the laundry version a lot. Especially when it's an overnight trip where I only pack a single cube into a backpack, the laundry excels with the ability to separate my items. Both have their place. And when packing a full rollaboard, I find that I like the versatility of having both. Tshirts generally get rolled into the regular cube, and I often use the small cube for separating folded dress shirts and slacks.

So if you're going for the full kit, I'd recommend: 1 small laundry, 1 small non-laundry, 1 large non-laundry. I do like the large flexibility of the non-laundry cube.