Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut packing cube sizes

Hello bag friends! I am a longtime Aeronaut 45 owner who recently lost all self-control and purchased an Aeronaut 30 for shorter trips. I would really like to just have one set of packing cubes, and I want to replace mine with 4 small laundry cubes -- but should I get the A30 or A45 cubes? The size difference isn't that big on paper, but will the A45 cubes be really smushed in the A30? Or will there be a lot of weird empty space in the A45 if I get the smaller cubes?

If it's helpful, I do tend to Fill The Whole Bag, which is why I got the A30 in the first place. I also like to put the cubes in bookcase-style. In general I wouldn't be putting anything in the central compartment except the cubes.

Thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use A30 laundry cubes in both my A30 & A45. I leave empty or pack other random things (like rolled work out clothes) in the extra space in the A45.

It probably depends on whether you are comfortable slightly under packing the A45 cubes or not... if you are, then it shouldn't matter much. But if you like to fit everything tight into the cubes (maybe to prevent wrinkling), then you'd probably be better off with the A30 cubes.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums, @goodbyewaffles! I think you may have gotten an extra 'r' in your greeting there--didn't you mean "hello bag fiends"?

I know there are people (like @G42!) who use A30 cubes in both bags, and I know there are others who use A45 cubes in both bags. Then there are those (like me) who use Packing Cube Shoulder Bags instead of Aeronaut cubes--I like being able to color-code with the larger array of PCSB colors so I use them even though it's a little more weight. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these options!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello new bag friend! (I love this and will definitely encourage it as a greeting)

I would go with the A30 cubes because you can fill them and then have a couple of inches left in the A45 main compartment for a toiletry bag or shoes or jacket or any of that miscellaneous stuff that you sometimes have to shove in.

I currently use PCSBs bookshelf-style and I love them but I have been eyeing laundry cubes (and an A30) so please let us know how it works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by goodbyewaffles View Post
    Hello bag friends! I am a longtime Aeronaut 45 owner who recently lost all self-control and purchased an Aeronaut 30 for shorter trips. I would really like to just have one set of packing cubes, and I want to replace mine with 4 small laundry cubes -- but should I get the A30 or A45 cubes? The size difference isn't that big on paper, but will the A45 cubes be really smushed in the A30? Or will there be a lot of weird empty space in the A45 if I get the smaller cubes?

If it's helpful, I do tend to Fill The Whole Bag, which is why I got the A30 in the first place. I also like to put the cubes in bookcase-style. In general I wouldn't be putting anything in the central compartment except the cubes.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodbyewaffles View Post
    Hello bag friends! I am a longtime Aeronaut 45 owner who recently lost all self-control and purchased an Aeronaut 30 for shorter trips.
    Reassuring to hear that I am not only one struggling with self control, being in the same situation of happy Aeronaut 45 owner for some time but now also having purchased an Aeronaut 30 for shorter trips. Just impatiently waiting for its delivery...

As I have made good use of Aeronaut 45 Large Packing Cube and Large Laundry Cube, I thought about trying to work with what I had, but decided to purchase the same Packing Cube combination specific for Aeronaut 30. Again I'm sure I will get good use from it.

But I do like the suggestion of how someone going from Aeronaut 30 to Aeronaut 45 could make good use of the Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes and make constructive use of the remaining spare space.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the A45 small cubes and put them in bookcase style.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do PCSBs even fit in an A30? I've been thinking not, that's why they have the (IMO) silly and useless A30 PCBP.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Do PCSBs even fit in an A30? I've been thinking not, that's why they have the (IMO) silly and useless A30 PCBP.
    The internet says yes! (I did a search for site:forums.tombihn.com "a30" "pcsb" before making my post above, since I don't have an A30 anymore. This post from TRD was one of the results.) And I think of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and the Packing Cube Backpack as different enough that it makes sense to me that both exist.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now stunned and wish for 5 PCSBs for Christmas. OK 3. All right, just one, and fine, I'll make it myself.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, this is helpful! I do have a PCSB and hadn't thought that it might fit in the A30...hmm. Maybe I'll just get three packing cubes I am going to go with the smaller size in any case.