Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Boone NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Burnt Orange 525 photos please!

Hello, all. Someone asked this same question back in January but no one had any photos available yet. I have a Daylight Backpack in the old burnt orange ballistic (think it's the 1050) that is my fav EDC. However, I need something a little roomier with more padding, so I'm going to upgrade to an S19 and am considering the new burnt orange (color 525). In TB's photos comparison photos at the old forum post, the new burnt orange looks a little too bright for my tastes. I know orange is difficult to photograph, but can anyone share any random photos of the new burnt orange so I can see it in various lighting? This would be a big help so thanks in advance!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    Hello, all. Someone asked this same question back in January but no one had any photos available yet. I have a Daylight Backpack in the old burnt orange ballistic (think it's the 1050) that is my fav EDC. However, I need something a little roomier with more padding, so I'm going to upgrade to an S19 and am considering the new burnt orange (color 525). In TB's photos comparison photos at the old forum post, the new burnt orange looks a little too bright for my tastes. I know orange is difficult to photograph, but can anyone share any random photos of the new burnt orange so I can see it in various lighting? This would be a big help so thanks in advance!
    Here are a couple of pictures that @aedifica posted recently of her Small Cafe Bag and L12 Luminary in Burnt Orange:

Here's @toupee's Burnt Orange Synapse 25:

By the way, there's an easy way to search the Your Photos Are Needed thread with the Advanced Original Forum Search function, even though I remembered seeing all these photos there. The way I pulled up these links was by starting in that thread, then (in the web view) clicking on the "Search thread" option and choosing the "Advanced Search" option. (This may not work for others now, since my default option is to used the Original forum search for Advanced Search -- not Google, which I could run from the URL tool bar without being in the forum -- or DuckDuckGo). On the Advanced Search page option, I just typed in "Burnt Orange". Since the new 525d Burnt Orange posts are recent, I chose to Find posts that from 3 months ago and newer, and used the sort results defaults of "by last posting date" and "in descending order" with the radio button to look for "posts" --- I think many of these options are set up as defaults, so it takes longer to describe this than to run the search. All three linked results showed up immediately when I hit "return".

This doesn't get the pictures that are posted without any keyword descriptions though -- for example, @salted radish posted a Burnt Orange Cafe bag with only the description of New Medium Cafe Bag:

For the record, the 525d Ballistic Nylon variants tend to look darker (not brighter) than their 1050d Ballistic Nylon counterparts, since the smaller thread are less reflective. I happen to think that the 525d Ballistic Nylon Burnt Orange looks pretty good, based on Ghost Whale pouches in that fabric that I have (and that I've seen posted elsewhere -- including on Ravelry). I tend to like the 1050d Ballistic Nylon Burnt Orange better than the Burnt Orange Cordura versions, too, because of the lustrous nature of that reflective fiber. Just my opionions though -- your mileage may vary here.

moriond

Forum Member
    Boone NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much thanks for these. It helps a lot. I like the color but yeah, it's the sheen that's throwing me off. I'm not crazy about that aspect of it but I see how it could help repel dirt. Even after 4+ years of daily use, much of it outdoors in woods and pastures along with big city travel, my BO DLBP still looks great but it's showing some dirt. I've never washed it (based on TB recommendations) so I just figure the proof of use adds character.

I did the advanced search but the only post it turned up was the one I linked to above. I'll give it another go. I'm in Safari and noticed that the search was returning a lot of posts that didn't follow my parameters, plus at the moment the forum won't allow me to stay signed in which isn't a big deal but a bit of a headache. Could be a temporary TB thing or might be my glitchy, finicky Mac/Safari.

Thanks again!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Tonya,

I think that the picture of the Synapse 25 is a close rendition of the 525d Burnt Orange, but why don’t you just ask customer support to send you a swatch sample of the 525d Ballistic Nylon Burnt Orange (and any other color that you’re trying to decide about)? They’ll just send it off to you via first class mail, so it’s quite fast.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Boone NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Tonya,

I think that the picture of the Synapse 25 is a close rendition of the 525d Burnt Orange, but why don’t you just ask customer support to send you a swatch sample of the 525d Ballistic Nylon Burnt Orange (and any other color that you’re trying to decide about)? They’ll just send it off to you via first class mail, so it’s quite fast.
    I was aware that TB did this, but they tend to sell out of colors so quickly, I wanted to go ahead and get my order in. Yep, it helps a lot. Appreciate it!

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the old and new together, with and without flash.

New Burnt Orange 525 photos please!-20190512_214107-jpg

New Burnt Orange 525 photos please!-20190512_214130-jpg

Forum Member
    Boone NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    Here's the old and new together, with and without flash.
    Is that the new BO in the Swift on the bottom? So the colors look extremely similar to me, especially without the flash. Since the two fabrics are different weaves, maybe that's why they appear differently in your photo with the flash?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is that the new BO in the Swift on the bottom? So the colors look extremely similar to me, especially without the flash. Since the two fabrics are different weaves, maybe that's why they appear differently in your photo with the flash?
    @Tonya,

That has to be the 1050d Ballistic Burnt Orange in the Swift, if the comparison is being made between “old” (1050d Burnt Orange Ballistic Nylon) and “new” (525d Burnt Orange Ballistic Nylon - used for the A5 Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch).This is especially probable since the first Swift’s in 525d Burnt Orange Ballistic Nylon were not offered for sale until late February 2019:

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    02/21/2019 New Bags and Colors Ready to Order
    Breakout Edition

Swift, Burnt Orange 525 Ballistic/Cloud 210 Ballistic
    Previous to this there have been several 1050d Ballistic Nylon Burnt Orange Swifts made (usually with interior colors such as Northwest Sky or Ultraviolet).

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Moriond is correct, that's a 1050 Little Swift and 525 A4 GW. I posted both photos because in some lights they look the same, but not in others. I don't remember if anyone has suggested this... you can email customer service for a fabric swatch of the 525.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 05-13-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Boone NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after much deliberation, I ended up ordering the Nebulous Grey which looks like a perfect neutral and fits my fade-into-the-background personality. Orange is one of my favorite colors, but as much as I wanted to, I just couldn't fall in love with the newer burnt orange. I love my *vintage* orange DLBP too much to be satisfied with anything less, so grey it is! Nah, I didn't order any swatches because what's the fun in that??? I like the surprise inside the TB package. Anticipation is a good thing! Much thanks to all who responded to my post. The photos were a HUGE help. Cheers and happy Tom Bihning!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a brain bag in the 1050 and a new Cadet in the 525. Will take a side by side for you tomorrow.

Forum Member
    Boone NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I own a brain bag in the 1050 and a new Cadet in the 525. Will take a side by side for you tomorrow.
    Thanks for the offer, but I went ahead and ordered a GW pouch in 525 so I can see the color for myself. If I love the new as much as the old, I'll be very happy! Thanks again!