Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary 15 back pocket and MacBook Air 13?

I love my new Luminary 15 (Nebulous Grey/Dawn) BUT I was surprised at how tight the fit was to get the MBA (2018 version I think, with the Mag power adapter) in the padded back pocket. I had to really jiggle and push it in. Im concerned this will be bad for the zipper, or for my laptop, in the long run. Is there some way of putting it in that Im missing? (I know I could put it in a cache in the main compartment but Id rather use the space for other items.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried with my 2012 13" MacBook Air and ran into the same tightness you describe. (I hadn't run into the issue before because my Air is currently unusable--I'm hanging on to it for now until I decide whether it's worth buying the replacement part it would need.) My 2015 13" MacBook Pro fits fine, though. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just the 1/2" difference in length between the Air and the Pro that's causing the trouble.

I see the description on the TB website says "The 13” MacBook Pro fits great in the padded device pocket as does the Dell XPS 13. And while the 13” MacBook Air (the older, larger version) can squeeze in — you may find you’ll need to do a two-point turn to get it in position — it is basically at the top end range of devices that’ll fit in that pocket."

I'm sorry not to have a secret method to share with you!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @habanero,

Of the recent 13" Mac laptops, my mid-2011 13" MacBook Air gets the tightest fit in the Luminary 15 back pocket, but it does fit in with a clear shell around it, and I don't feel that I am in danger of stressing the zipper design. My practice of using a clear shell around the MacBook Air long predates the Luminaries, by the way -- when I carry this MBA inside a cache I insert it with the shell on. The 2018 refresh of the 13" MacBook Air is smaller than my model (which is 12.8" x 8.94" cross-section without the case; I read the new dimensions as 11.97" x 8.36" x 0.61" or 30.41 x 21.24 x 1.56 cm), so I think this should be workable.

The main constraint when inserting devices into the back pocket is having to rotate the laptop into the compartment against the limits of the zipper opening. I position the thick end of the wedge along the left side of the bag (facing the zipper opening for the laptop compartment). The rounded corner that clears the top of the zippered opening when you rotate the device into place is the point at which the laptop is thinnest.

Luminary 15 back pocket and MacBook Air 13?-img_4306-jpg

Also, notice that depending on the dimensions of the laptop, you may not be able to simply rotate it into position in the back. The above photo shows that the top corner of my 13" MBA is clearing the zippered opening, but I'm not simply turning the laptop upright around the bottom edge (as I can do for later, smaller laptops like my 2017 13" Retina MacBook Pro Touchbar model). I've actually pushed the bottom of the laptop a little further into the bottom of the compartment so I have room to clear the top corner when I rotate it up. I think that this is what is meant by @aedifica's quote "you may find you’ll need to do a two-point turn to get it in position"

Luminary 15 back pocket and MacBook Air 13?-img_4307-jpg

Here's a picture of my mid-2011 model 13" MacBook Air (in its shell) lying on top of the back of my Aubergine/Cloud Luminary 15 in the orientation it has when inside the back compartment. It's sitting higher than it's actual position, so that you can see the full extent of the laptop above the waist straps.

I may have an easier time inserting this because the clear shell is smooth, and easy to maneuver.

Depending on what else I am carrying, I can stick the power brick (without long extension cord) in one of the front side pockets.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies (fellow Bostonian) @aedifica and @moriond! I just checked and apparently I have the same model as moriond - work bought it for me in October 2018 but it was the last of the pre-refresh’s. Do you happen to know which clear shell case you have? I was thinking about getting one of those anyway... And I’m new enough to the Mac world that I keep forgetting some of the MBPs are smaller than the Airs...

Will give it another go this weekend. Thanks again for the feedback!

-Habanero

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by habanero View Post
    I just checked and apparently I have the same model as moriond - work bought it for me in October 2018 but it was the last of the pre-refresh’s. Do you happen to know which clear shell case you have? I was thinking about getting one of those anyway...
    It sounds as though you have one of the 2015 refresh models of the 13” MBA (technically a 13.3” screen, and similar dimensions to earlier models, but with a different power connector and connectivity options along the sides of the laptop from my earlier 2011 model MBA.

I’m using the Power Support Clear Air Jacket for 13” MacBook Air. Assuming that they just updated their earlier case design, you should find them here:
    https://www.powersupportintl.com/macbook-air-11-13/
    A google search for a more current YouTube video review of this product turned up this 2014 review:

The size of all the 2nd generation 13” MBAs was set in 2010, and this model stayed popular until the 3rd generation 2018 refresh with retina graphics. So later 13” Mac “pro” models with faster processors, more disk space, and improved graphics chips quickly developed smaller footprints (hence, @aedifica’s reference to the half inch difference in length).

HTH

moriond