Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 owners- do you use an internal frame? Why and why not?

The Synapse 19 is a small bag, I was wondering whether the internal frame is worth it- or will it take too much space?

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, 100% worth it. Keeps the bag sturdy and prevents things from poking your back. The only reason I wouldn't get it is if you're carrrying a laptop in a cache, serves the same purpose.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carl0 View Post
    For me, 100% worth it. Keeps the bag sturdy and prevents things from poking your back. The only reason I wouldn't get it is if you're carrrying a laptop in a cache, serves the same purpose.
    I read that it helps lift some of the bag's weight on to your hips, but then, the thing itself is quiet heavy.
    Do you feel that the bag is much more comfortable with the internal frame?

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it always. I never take mine out.

if you put objects that aren't flat, like a Travel Stuff Sack or camera in the main compartment it tends to poke you in the back. With the internal frame installed, it smooths out any lumps and bumps and also makes the bag a little less "eggy" when stuffed full.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the frame when I'm carrying random shaped things... I like the rigidity it provides
    If I'm carrying a laptop, as mentioned above, it suits the same purpose...I leave the frame in for convenience unless I'm concerned about space, in which case I take it out.
    I've never found the weight of the frame itself to be noticeable
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like some of the others here, I like the shape the internal frame gives when I'm carrying odd-shaped objects. It also helps keep the bag from going egg-shaped when I stuff it full. I'm not always carrying odd-shaped things, but I leave the frame sheet in the rest of the time because it's a minor nuisance to remove it and put it back.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I'm under five feet tall and the S19 is a little bit long for me, but when it curves (depending on what's in it) it actually helps shape the bag to my spine. When I have something rigid in the bag (e.g. my laptop) it ends up sitting on the waistband of my jeans which is not that comfy.

I got a frame for my A30 and I've yet to put it to a full travel test, but for that bag it makes sense for me, because it's so long that it tends to bow out otherwise.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the S19 bulges a lot more than the S25 (surprise, surprise, because it smaller). Therefore I subjectively feel a lot more through the back panel. I went back to using a frame sheet just for that solid and completely flat back panel (much less bulging overall).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t at all. I don’t tend to over-stuff my bag and don’t want the extra weight. I also prefer to let the bag mold to the shape of my back. It’s one of the things that makes carrying the S19 one of the most comfortable packs I’ve ever carried. Same for the S25, which I switch to when I have bigger loads to carry.

And yes, I know folks can reshape the internal frame but I tend to do mediocre job of that sort of thing.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.