Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hero's Journey side pocket alternative?

Greetings, I have The Hero's Journey bag and I'm trying to find an alternative for the Side Pocket. It would be great if I could receive a recommendation for something of similar size and attachment style. If not similar size, then I could settle for purchasing two new items of the same size, as long as they can be securely attached so hiking with the bag is not unwieldy.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums, Vloshko! I don't have a pocket to suggest (maybe someone else will), but I would recommend asking the excellent customer service folks--phone number and chat option are on the website, or you can email them at emailus@tombihn.com . They might have a suggestion, but also they could check whether there might possibly be one or two left that they could sell you. I'm not sure whether it's likely, but it's worth asking!

If all else fails, perhaps you could buy some Gatekeeper Clips on the Parts page and ask a seamstress or tailor to make something similar to the Side Pocket for you.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vloshko View Post
    Greetings, I have The Hero's Journey bag and I'm trying to find an alternative for the Side Pocket. It would be great if I could receive a recommendation for something of similar size and attachment style. If not similar size, then I could settle for purchasing two new items of the same size, as long as they can be securely attached so hiking with the bag is not unwieldy.
    I would also recommend getting in touch with Customer Support. Does your query mean that you are looking for alternatives to the Hero's Journey Side Pockets because they are not listed as being in stock on the web site, or because you want something different?

The spacing of the Single Gatekeeper clips at the top and bottom of each Hero's Journey Side Pocket is different. The closest items in size to the Hero's Journey Side Pockets are probably the discontinued Smart Alec Upper Modular Pocket (also 2.5 liter volume), whose Gatekeeper clips are spaced similar to the Gatekeeper Clips at the bottom of the HJ's Side Pocket (the side away from the zipper opening), and the Side Kick (3.0 liters vs. the Side Pocket's 2.5 liters volumes, but no attachment points for gatekeeper clips).

You can see @melminimalist's recent hack of using one the Hero's Journey Side Pockets as a substitute Smart Alec Upper Modular Pocket.

To see comparisons of the Hero's Journey Side Pocket with accessories like the Side Effect (1.5 liter), take a look at the pictures in @Ilkyway's Hero's Journey Side Pocket question thread of 09-27-2016. (At that time the Side Kick had not yet been created)

The only comparison photos that I have up of Smart Alec Upper Modular Pocket open, and compared with accessories like the Side Effect is in a post in the Travel Cubelet thread, where I show that accessories size compared to the Travel Cubelet and Side Effect, and then include a picture of the open 2.5 liter Smart Alec Upper Modular Pocket (in Black Halcyon), holding a 1.7 liter Travel Cubelet and 0.7 liter Cubelet. (Again, 2.5 liter is the volume of the HJ Side Pockets)

There might be additional Side Pockets that aren't updated on that product page that Customer Support can check into.

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, because they are not listed as in stock on the website. I will definitely get in touch with them before pursuing other options.