Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    120
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Yeoman Duffel Questions

    Would a Clear Quarter Packing Cube standing upright be a good fit in the mini Yeoman Duffel? Dimensions of each appear to be a perfect fit.

    Is there any pictures of a mini Yeoman Duffel in a large Yeoman Duffel? I looked, but did not find any in my search. I had watched the TB product video with the bag in bag approach, but doesn't have the mini into the large by itself. Dimensions look like there would be about 4 inches to the side, 4 inches above, and 6 inches lengthwise left open. I am thinking of having a mini in a large YD as an organizer.

    I have received color samples of the YD's 1050d ballistic fabric. They really shine in sunlight. Does the ballistic material dull quickly, eventually, or not a lot over time?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Alaska
    Posts
    653
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The ballistic fabric does not appear to dull at all in my experience. Even photos here on the forum of bags that had hard use still seem to look like new. elisa

  3. #3
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    982
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A gradual accumulation of dirt can dull the shine (reading your post made me realize that my many-years-old Aeronaut could probably use a wash) but other than that the ballistic material seems to stay shiny.

    I don't have a large YD to show you, but I do have a mini YD and a CQPC. I'll try that out and post a photo later unless someone beats me to it!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

    I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

  4. #4
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,320
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Would a Clear Quarter Packing Cube standing upright be a good fit in the mini Yeoman Duffel? Dimensions of each appear to be a perfect fit.

    Is there any pictures of a mini Yeoman Duffel in a large Yeoman Duffel? I looked, but did not find any in my search. I had watched the TB product video with the bag in bag approach, but doesn't have the mini into the large by itself. Dimensions look like there would be about 4 inches to the side, 4 inches above, and 6 inches lengthwise left open. I am thinking of having a mini in a large YD as an organizer.

    I have received color samples of the YD's 1050d ballistic fabric. They really shine in sunlight. Does the ballistic material dull quickly, eventually, or not a lot over time?
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    A gradual accumulation of dirt can dull the shine (reading your post made me realize that my many-years-old Aeronaut could probably use a wash) but other than that the ballistic material seems to stay shiny.

    I don't have a large YD to show you, but I do have a mini YD and a CQPC. I'll try that out and post a photo later unless someone beats me to it!
    Yes, a Clear Quarter Packing Cube fits in a Mini YD. Take a look at the pictures in my thread on The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes:

    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ing-cubes.html

    I’ll except one of them that shows the CQPQ compared to the (Violet)Mini YD Aether Packing Cube above it:

    If you check the pictures in the rest of the post and later parts of the thread, you’ll find other comparisons with different accessories (including travel stuff sacks, 3D Organizer cubes, snake charmers) inside various open packing cubes.

    I’m not sure I would use Mini YDs to “organize” the large YD — although, in the absence of packing cubes for the Medium YD when I first got it, I did set up a picture with multiple Co-Pilots, instead.

    You might check the Blog article, “Packing Cube Recommendations for the Pilot, Stowaway, Yeoman Duffel and more “ that they posted (14 March 2018) when the Aether YD packing Cubes were retired:

    https://blog.tombihn.com/packing-cub...-yeoman-duffel

    They suggest Western Flyer packing cubes. It really depends on what you’re carrying, since many people use the large YD for irregularly shaped objects and camping gear.

    I find the 1050d Ballistic Nylon holds up well to use.

    HTH

    moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-21-2019 at 03:53 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    120
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, a Clear Quarter Packing Cube fits in a Mini YD. Take a look at the pictures in my thread on The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes.
    ……..
    I’m not sure I would use Mini YDs to “organize” the large YD — although, in the absence of packing cubes for the Medium YD when I first got it, I did set up a picture with multiple Co-Pilots, instead.
    I had looked many times at your yeoman duffel packing cubes threads and simply overlooked the CQPC next to the mini YDPC's.

    Using mini YD in large YD as "organizer." My plan is the mini YD to organize in the sense of a bag-in-a-bag for some items I would take with me when the large duffel would stay in the vehicle while car traveling.

  6. #6
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,320
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    I had looked many times at your yeoman duffel packing cubes threads and simply overlooked the CQPC next to the mini YDPC's.

    Using mini YD in large YD as "organizer." My plan is the mini YD to organize in the sense of a bag-in-a-bag for some items I would take with me when the large duffel would stay in the vehicle while car traveling.

    The simple answer is/was that the Clear Quarter Packing Cube fits upright in the Mini YD, since it's a close match to the cross-section size of the (now-retired) Mini Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes. But I should add a comment that the Yeoman Duffel has a slightly curved profile (top and bottom) that can relax down a bit when you set it down so that the bottom "arc" flattens out a bit more, and it can sit with slightly wider items when it rests that way. This is what the side view from the product page looks like:


    (There's not a lot of curve visible in the top and bottom edge profiles in that view, but there is some).

    When you insert an upright Clear Quarter Packing Cube, and it is fully packed with rigid, square items (e.g., I used to use the CQPC to carry pairs of replacement laptop backup disks, two side-by-side fit into a clear side), then you'll be able to fit it into the Mini Yeoman Duffel, but the height will match the full height of the mini YD profile. That means that you won't get extra spreading in width or sag at the bottom when you set the Yeoman Duffel down, when an upright CQPC is inserted on one or both ends.

    I doubt this is a problem; I'm just commenting here because there can be some pack-up instances where having that extra bit of "adjustability" in fitting in objects that are technically wider than the stated base can be useful. In the photos that I took of my Small Yeoman Duffel used to carry music (instrument rolls, music stands, and other such paraphenalia), having that extra "flex" in packing was useful. If you don't pack your CQPC completely full, you also won't notice the decrease in extra flex space.

    Putting a Mini YD into the Large YD, as you plan, will work: you can fit the length of the Mini YD along the short dimension listed as "width" in the product page images pretty well. You won't, however, achieve "close packing" of the full Large YD unless you insert such (fully packed) Mini YD into the Large YD on their sides (so that the bottom of the Mini YD is matched to the side cross-section of the Large YD. If you simply put the Mini YD cross-wise at the end of the Large YD in the normal way (e.g., bottom of Mini YD resting on the bottom of the Large YD -- not trying to turn the filled Mini YD sideways so that you can pack in as many filled Mini YDs as possible to fill the full Large YD and "organize" it), your packing will work -- you'll just have space above that Mini YD because it's vertical height is clearly not as large as the vertical height of the Large Yeoman Duffel. That's the reason I was trying to figure out how you planned to use Mini YDs to "organize" a Large YD; normally when we use packing cubes to organize a travel bag, we think about completely using the available volume.

    In sum, I think what you're envisioning doing with these YDs should work.

    HTH,

    moriond

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •