Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if a 40oz Hydroflask bottle would fit in the Copilot's bottle holder? I leave for a trip soon and if it does fit, I might break down and buy one.

Thanks so much!

Also, apologies for asking for help on this instead of going to the store and trying it out for myself, but I'm currently on crutches from a fractured leg so my mobility is a little compromised at the moment.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by runningtravels View Post
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if a 40oz Hydroflask bottle would fit in the Copilot's bottle holder? I leave for a trip soon and if it does fit, I might break down and buy one.

Thanks so much!

Also, apologies for asking for help on this instead of going to the store and trying it out for myself, but I'm currently on crutches from a fractured leg so my mobility is a little compromised at the moment.
    This question has been asked a few times for the larger Pilot, for which the answer has always been “no”, with various pictures. I’ll point you to a few threads (some of them include posts that link to other discussions/pictures of other bags where the 40 oz Hydroflask won’t fit unless you’re willing to leave the zipper open. Here’s a quick cut and paste of one of my old reply posts that referenced an earlier picture;

Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    I've become a big fan of Hydroflask which I believe you could fit their 40 oz in the Pilot
    @Muni_Jedi and others, for more discussion and specific pictures of the Hydroflask 40 oz model not fitting in the Pilot water bottle pocket, see the Hydroflask 40 in a Pilot? thread. I'll excerpt @Proctor's post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
    Lifefactory 22oz = PERFECT (like a glove)
    Hydroflask 21oz = YES
    Hydroflask 40oz = NO

As always, this is only an excerpt;read the linked thread for more content.

HTH

Some of the parent threads to read:

Hydroflask 40 in a Pilot?

Favorite water bottle in a Pilot??

There may be other threads specifically for the smaller Co-pilot, but I’m not sure they include pictures, and I thought you’d want a quick answer.

Hope your leg gets better soon. Also, I just posted a reply about water bottles in the Pop Tote a few hours earlier that included the Hydroflask spec chart, which might help you shop from home. I think the 32 oz might work;

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-24-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very useful, thank you so much! I still struggle with the forum search function so this was very useful. Sounds like a 32oz or smaller is probably the best bet. Thank you!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure a 32oz Hydroflask will not fit in the Co-Pilot either. I have the Co-Pilot in Ballistic and I think the best I could fit in there fully closed would be a 16oz Nalgene or my 12oz Hydroflask Coffee Flask.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have a 25oz Camelbak and it fits, I was just hoping for a little more volume. I'm not familiar with Hydroflask sizing so wasn't sure how it would compare.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't 40 ounces, but it's still an increase over the 25 you have now: I think the 32oz Summit bottle from SimpleModern would fit in the Co-Pilot if you use the shorter of the two included lids. I have the 14oz size and like it very well. Do note that using the shorter lid means you'd have to unscrew the lid to drink; I don't know if that's a problem for you or not. I prefer using that lid anyway because I think there's less chance of a leak than with the drinking lid.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I am pretty sure a 32oz Hydroflask will not fit in the Co-Pilot either. I have the Co-Pilot in Ballistic and I think the best I could fit in there fully closed would be a 16oz Nalgene or my 12oz Hydroflask Coffee Flask.
    You are probably correct; I know the 32 oz Hydroflask fits the Pilot water bottle pocket (based on posted discussions), but the Pilot has some additional height. I usually carry Zojurushi bottles with narrow diameter bases, and would use a 480 ml (=16.9 oz) in the Co-Pilot.

But I can put a 1 liter Sigg water bottle into my Co-Pilot either the one in Steel 1050d Ballistic Nylon/Solar or a Halcyon version (also with Solar interior). The Sigg has a wider diameter base (~3.15 vs. the Zojurushi ~2.65), and is not insulated, so its probably true that a Hydroflask for the Co-Pilot would be smaller in size, I dont own any Hydroflasks myself, so hopefully others will weigh in with their experiences for the Co-Pilot.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ aedifica- Ohh, very intriguing. Sounds perfect! I'll check that out- thank you!

@ moriond - I haven't heard of Sigg before but a 1 L capacity in a CP sounds amazing. I'll check that out too and compare.

Thank you both!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by runningtravels View Post
    @ aedifica- Ohh, very intriguing. Sounds perfect! I'll check that out- thank you!

@ moriond - I haven't heard of Sigg before but a 1 L capacity in a CP sounds amazing. I'll check that out too and compare.

Thank you both!!
    There’s an old 2016 thread: water bottle for co-pilot?

That has a suggestion of a 27 oz Kleen Kanteen with a flat cap. (In one of the posts in that thread I gave a link to the Sigg water bottle I have, but that model was no longer available even at the time of that post.). I do think you should be able to find something in the -750 ml capacity, but exact size may also depend on whether you get a bottle with thicker, insulated walls (for maintaining hot or cold temperatures)
    Last edited by moriond; 05-24-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    This isn't 40 ounces, but it's still an increase over the 25 you have now: I think the 32oz Summit bottle from SimpleModern would fit in the Co-Pilot if you use the shorter of the two included lids. I have the 14oz size and like it very well. Do note that using the shorter lid means you'd have to unscrew the lid to drink; I don't know if that's a problem for you or not. I prefer using that lid anyway because I think there's less chance of a leak than with the drinking lid.
    I think I'm going to get one of these bottles as a birthday present within the next week--if I do, I can report back on how well it fits the Co-Pilot. (I put one on my wishlist and my mother asked what color I'd like, so it seems likely.) @runningtravels, how soon do you leave for your trip?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom did give me one of these water bottles! The 32oz Summit bottle from SimpleModern with the shorter lid on it is an exact fit for the Co-Pilot water bottle compartment... as long as you don't mind leaving the top few inches of zipper open, because the bottle itself is such an exact fit that the plastic loop for the lid sticks out.

40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder?-img_2743-jpg
    40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder?-img_2744-jpg
    40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder?-img_2745-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh thank you so much aedifica! Looks perfect!! I'm going to see if I can grab one of these before I leave at the end of the week. Thank you so much!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you had a happy birthday! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    My mom did give me one of these water bottles! The 32oz Summit bottle from SimpleModern with the shorter lid on it is an exact fit for the Co-Pilot water bottle compartment... as long as you don't mind leaving the top few inches of zipper open, because the bottle itself is such an exact fit that the plastic loop for the lid sticks out.

40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder?-img_2743-jpg
    40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder?-img_2744-jpg
    40oz Hydroflask in Copilot Bottle Holder?-img_2745-jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Hope you had a happy birthday! :-D
    Thanks! And yes. :-D

(I won't actually get to see my mom until she comes to visit a few days from now, but there was a knock at the door and someone handed me a package...)