Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a diva, I have no intention of ever flying coach.

Is there a risk of not getting overhead bin space in business or first class??
    With the amount of luggage I see some people bring on in first/business, you might run out.... But normally, no, that's part of the "early boarding rights" I mentioned. I don't pay for my flights, I have take what the company approves, which for us, is pretty much the cheapest option that isn't the "no carry-on" extremely restricted bargain fares.

But as G mentions, there's not always a first/business option, or even if there is, it's not always accommodating for luggage. However, I'd hope you already know such a possibility before your travels and have packed accordingly.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, now I'm narrowing things down.

I like the Tri-Star, but I'm leaning towards the Western Flyer for my "one-bag" (ok, plus my co-pilot - who are we kidding here) business travel (less than a week at a time).

From what I'm reading and seeing, it appears the Western Flyer might be more flexible for international flights. Yes?
    The Tri-Star is great, but it's also reasonably large at 33L, so if the A45 and A30 feel like they're too big/bulky for you walking around NYC, the WF is definitely a good option.

The WF is good for many international airlines, but they all have slightly different rules and they're subject to change, so you'd need to check as you go. Pairing it with your CP is a good combo and it also works well with the Pilot if you need a touch more space.

If you still use your retro cool Samsonite, then a nice feature of the WF is that you can put your laptop in there as well as clothes, etc. If your work isn't ultra conservative, you can use the WF as a briefcase (leave the non-work stuff in your hotel or whatever) when you go to meetings.
    The Pilot is a briefcase that also functions as luggage - so you can mix and match what goes where for each trip.

I should mention that besides several TB backpacks, I have an A45, two A30s, WF, Pilot, CP, and a myriad of smaller bags, so I'm all about the mix & match per trip...(and I'm an enabler)

Note that the TS & WF are set up for a more flat style of packing than the A45/A30, which can allow more 3D style. I'm not good with flat packing for long trips, which is why I no longer have a TS... but I like the WF for shorter trips, especially combined with either a backpack or the Pilot. I find that the large WF packing cube helps me pack that correctly, YMMV.

Regardless of which way you go, I suggest getting an Absolute strap for the WF and any larger bags and the 'mini' version of that strap (sold by Amazon, but made by same company apparently that makes the TB one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) for a Pilot or CP if you carry heavy stuff.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    The Tri-Star is great, but it's also reasonably large at 33L, so if the A45 and A30 feel like they're too big/bulky for you walking around NYC, the WF is definitely a good option.

The WF is good for many international airlines, but they all have slightly different rules and they're subject to change, so you'd need to check as you go. Pairing it with your CP is a good combo and it also works well with the Pilot if you need a touch more space.

If you still use your retro cool Samsonite, then a nice feature of the WF is that you can put your laptop in there as well as clothes, etc. If your work isn't ultra conservative, you can use the WF as a briefcase (leave the non-work stuff in your hotel or whatever) when you go to meetings.
    The Pilot is a briefcase that also functions as luggage - so you can mix and match what goes where for each trip.

I should mention that besides several TB backpacks, I have an A45, two A30s, WF, Pilot, CP, and a myriad of smaller bags, so I'm all about the mix & match per trip...(and I'm an enabler)

Note that the TS & WF are set up for a more flat style of packing than the A45/A30, which can allow more 3D style. I'm not good with flat packing for long trips, which is why I no longer have a TS... but I like the WF for shorter trips, especially combined with either a backpack or the Pilot. I find that the large WF packing cube helps me pack that correctly, YMMV.

Regardless of which way you go, I suggest getting an Absolute strap for the WF and any larger bags and the 'mini' version of that strap (sold by Amazon, but made by same company apparently that makes the TB one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) for a Pilot or CP if you carry heavy stuff.
    Great advice! Thanks!

OK, now I don't feel so bad about how many different Bihn bags I have. :O

I am spoiled with the Samsonite. It's 33 litres of completely unstructured open space (I DO have to pack "flat", obviously, to a degree, since the space is sliced in half with a separator panel, but on the deeper end it's almost a full four inches deep and it's stunning what can fit there) -- hard sided, with never a "bulge". But its obvious shortcomings are: no exterior pockets, no shoulder strap, and God help you if you need to get inside while in transit: no zippers -- you can't open it "just a little bit" to squeeze something in. Opening the sucker just to slip in a piece of paper is as much of a production as packing it in the first place.

I like the packing versatility of the Aeronaut more than the Tri-Star. And since the whole point of getting a Tri-Star(ish) kind of bag is for weekend getaways or short trips, it's sounding like the Tri-Star might be a bit of overkill versus the Western Flyer; if I needed more space, I might as well just use my Aeronaut and enjoy the additional flexibility, right?

For what it's worth, I just placed an order for three bags I hadn't even considered: Large Shop Bag, Small Shop Bag, and the Pop Tote.

I'm fortunate that I can dress somewhat casually for work, but it's always a challenge in the summer: temperatures (actual temperatures, not just what the weatherman says) on the New York City sidewalks heating up into the low 100s -- and the subways sometimes getting up to 125 degrees (yes, we've sent reporters out with thermometers).

So I dress accordingly -- and then I get to work and spend the next 8 hours shivering in hyper-chilled television studios. I have nowhere secure at work to keep sweaters or jackets, and I'm tired of "two-bagging" it to work on sweltering days with my EDC + a cheap duffel with my Sweater of the Day stuffed inside.

Now, during the hot summer months, I'm hoping the Pop Tote (in aubergine, which oddly seems to go with everything) will look professional enough to default to my summertime EDC.

I got the Small Shop Bag in the wasabi halcyon to keep neatly folded and tucked into whatever EDC bag I'm using for when I need an extra bag for something (which always seems to happen after stopping by the post office to pick up my mail, or whatever).

Large Shop Bag? Hamptons bound. Looks like the perfect beach bag. Got it in my "happy" color: Grass.

I'm such a Bihn geek.
    Last edited by NYCWriter; 05-28-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, during the hot summer months, I'm hoping the Pop Tote (in aubergine, which oddly seems to go with everything) will look professional enough to default to my summertime EDC.
    I have the Pop Tote in Nebulous Gray and think it looks very smart. It's also cavernous with plenty of room for my hoodie, side effect, water bottle and loads more besides!
    I think it will be perfect for your situation Aeronaut 30 vs 45 vs Western Flyer (for TWO bag travel)

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm such a Bihn geek.
    You are in good company and amongst fellow geeks here!

I think you'll like all three bags you chose (I also have all three of those styles, in significantly more numbers than I have hands to carry them in...ahem).
    The ZT Shop Bags have turned into my goto 'under the seat' airplane bag and just make fantastic catch alls.
    Oddly enough, since the PT is more structured than the SBs, I actually leave it unzipped most of the time. One is in my car holding TB Shop Bags, one free ranges around my apartment holding jewelry making supplies, and one is my every day gym bag.

Hope you enjoy yours and be sure to post some pics when they go forth on their first adventures!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2