Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small bag for Sonicare toothbrush + a few things

Hi all.

I'm revamping my travel setup. I carry two separate toiletry bags: one for liquids (I recently bought the clear 3D organizer cube for that), and one for everything else. Currently the "everything else" is in a gallon ziplock bag, but I'm seeking something better. The difficulty I'm having is the constraint of wanting to bring my Sonicare toothbrush, which is around 8 inches long (with the head removed, but in its soft-sided carry case). A lot of the smaller bags don't accomodate that dimension. I carry little enough other stuff that I think almost any bag that will fit the toothbrush will probably fit the rest (travel deodorant, comb, nail clippers, floss, etc.).

The Side Effect looks like it would probably work (especially in Halcyon), but for some reason it feels like overkill for this purpose. Maybe it's not?

Any other ideas? I saw some suggestions in other threads about just leaving the Sonicare behind and using a regular toothbrush, but I'd really prefer to not do that.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also add, the reason I am leaning toward Side Effect instead of Spiff Kit is that it's smaller, at least according to the specs on the product pages. Smallness (and lightness) is top priority.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sch9171 View Post

Any other ideas? I saw some suggestions in other threads about just leaving the Sonicare behind and using a regular toothbrush, but I'd really prefer to not do that.
    I had the same dilemma, except for brand of toothbrush... I have a sonicare for home use and a different brand for travel (just worked out that way).

In any case, I use the Small Snake Charmer for it. The toothbrush and charger and head fit on one side and use the other side for all the other non-liquid stuff.
    My liquids go into a clear 3DOC.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like it would probably fit against the long side of an A5 Ghost Whale as well, at the cost of having perhaps too much unstructured fabric along the opposite long side (but with even less weight and negligible volume).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sch9171 View Post
    I should also add, the reason I am leaning toward Side Effect instead of Spiff Kit is that it's smaller, at least according to the specs on the product pages. Smallness (and lightness) is top priority.
    The Spiff Kit is actually lighter than the Side Effect (and is better at squishing)!

The Spiff Kit is a better choice in my opinion.

It is slightly longer which is good for carrying toothbrushes. It doesn't have the heavier duty zippers and interior lining / pocket fabrics that add weight to the Side Effect.

Plus if you want to use it in an actual bathroom, which I imagine you will, the hook will come in handy.

For truly minimal weight go for the 200d Halcyon and remove the removeable mirror.

Let us know what you decide, and good luck.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If smallness and lightness are being prioritized, I’d consider the First or Second Aid Pouch. The problem is, I don’t know the actual dimensions of the Sonicare toothbrush kit being carried, and whether the 8.3” length of the First/Second Aid Pouch works for that. Another light-weight option is the Small Snake Charmer, which can be hung up. Other than that, there’s the Spiff Kit, which is larger than either.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Some good ideas here! I'll need to investigate these in more depth tonight when I have all the stuff together to confirm measurements.

FWIW I don't take the Sonicare charger, which helps things (I might occasionally take it on a long trip, but in that case I'm probably checking a bag anyway, so compactness isn't as important).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took some quick shots of the options mentioned. The good news is: the Sonicare fits in all of the bags (at least "naked", it might be different with the soft sided case, I can't try as I only have a hard case which is really bulky). Thus, you can choose the right one depending on what else you want to carry and what other features of the respective bag are most appealing to you.

Here is an overview (clockwise from the upper left corner): Black Halcyon Side Effect, Second Aid Pouch, Small Snake Charmer, Spiff Kit and Black Mesh A5 Ghost Whale (in the middle).

Small bag for Sonicare toothbrush + a few things-sonicare-6-jpg

The A5 GW is certainly the lightest and most simple solution:

Small bag for Sonicare toothbrush + a few things-sonicare-5-jpg

The Sonicare fits in the clear compartment of the Second Aid Pouch (and of course the First Aid too). As it just fits you might have difficulties using the soft case here.

Small bag for Sonicare toothbrush + a few things-sonicare-3-jpg

As @Cristina mentioned, the Spiff Kit is certainly the most comfortable solution:

Small bag for Sonicare toothbrush + a few things-sonicare-4-jpg

The Small Snake Charmer has a lot of space left for other things:

Small bag for Sonicare toothbrush + a few things-sonicare-1-jpg

When you use a Side Effect the Sonicare also fits in the outside pocket (again this might not work with an additional case).

Small bag for Sonicare toothbrush + a few things-sonicare-2-jpg

HTH
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bartleby, you are my hero! That is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To follow up, I decided to go with the Spiff Kit. I seriously considered the Snake Charmer, but I decided that I wanted a little bit more protection to prevent something like the top of my deodorant coming off and getting on other items in the bag. So the closed sides were the biggest selling point.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just a quick comment that your initial instincts weren’t wrong in considering the Side Effect. However, it’s not possible for you to know details about the fabric stiffness or zippers just from the pictures. I do have Side Effects that I use for more general purposes both in Packing and storage, but versions of the Side Effect that were made in the same 200d weight Halcyon as used for the Spiff Kit and with lighter weight zippers with pulls were only available for about the first seven months after this version of the Side Effect was introduced. Despite many requests for this accessory to be made in more lightweight Halcyon options (and also in more Parapack Nylon Combinations), these were only available for a relatively short time. Hence, @Cristina’s comments were quite accurate that for the purpose of serving as a toiletry bag, with lighter weight and more compressibility, the Spiff Kit would serve you better than the Side Effect.

I hope you enjoy your purchase.

moriond