Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised by S19 Back Sweat. Is the Luminary/Daylight any better?

On the week after Memorial Day, I took a trip to Washington DC for 4 days. This was my first time traveling with Tom Bihn bags so I was quite excited. As part of my trip, I used the Synapse 19 + Internal frame while exploring the National Mall and visiting the other free sites in Washington DC. However, the amount of back sweat I experience threw me off; my back was literally the only place on my body where I was sweating. Looking at the weather history, the temperature was in the mid to upper 80's and the humidity was about 50%. I don't usually sweat that much and I grew up in Florida so I am used to higher temperatures and humidity as well.

For a backpack that is intended to be worn around town as a daypack, is the Luminary or Daylight backpacks any better in terms of back sweat? Or should I consider options outside the Bihnion family?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello theroamingronin and welcome to the forum!

Your question has been discussed a couple of times in this forum (have a look at this blog entry too), also with regard to the Luminary.

To cut the long story short: Sweat can indeed be a problem and because the Synapses have a mesh material on the back they tend to be less affected than the Luminaries as they have an all fabric back.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Surprised by S19 Back Sweat. Is the Luminary/Daylight any better?

Quote Originally Posted by theroamingronin View Post
    For a backpack that is intended to be worn around town as a daypack, is the Luminary or Daylight backpacks any better in terms of back sweat?
    Hi @ theroamingronin,
    You asked about the Daylight Backpack; I’m going to quote @eWalker’s post about this:
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I have been using the DLBP in an island 2 degrees bellow the ecuador, so hot & humid is the rule around here, except when is hotter & sticky damp.

That reference given, there is a DLBP feature that is very nice for our kind of climate and that at first I gave no importance, and sets it higher then the PCBP, the removable waist belt.

When I received the DLBP, I thought it to be useless... hey... who needs a waist bag in such a lightweight backpack thought the naive novice TB bagger.

But decided to not remove it... as I t tried various straps lengths, the belt went from waist to chest belt but during the experiments, I found that whatever position you may find comfortable, the waist strap is fantastic to use in a hands free one shoulder single strap configuration, because it keeps the DLBP secure and slightly to the side, reducing the contact area and allowing the back to breath better.

In the weather here, specially running urban errands, that makes ALL the difference!

HTH
    If you tap the arrow to the right at the top of the quote, you can read the quoted excerpt in the context of its parent thread. There are other posts in that discussion . I’ll excerpt part of @adalangdon’s post:

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I do agree with @Janine. The Daylight is better suited to humid weather (I would know, I'm in Singapore where it is HOT HOT HUMID all freakin' year round). Because the back is floppy and flexible, it won't stick to your back as much. The Synapses' padding is, by contrast, a constant weight against your back, and if your bag is loaded up, there is no surer way to soak the back of your shirt! (Speaking from experience here.) Another thing is that if you're fussy about keeping your bags odour-free, I reckon the DLBP is easier to rinse the sweat and dirt from.
    By the way, in this context the 400d Halcyon versions would likely be better than Ballistic Nylon. @eWalker posted some pictures of the Original Halcyon DLBP (Daylight Backpack) being worn by a friend earlier in that thread, and also showed one shoulder carry in the next post:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...html#post73940

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-09-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information from the two of you. I'll definitely take all advice into consideration.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you normally walk around a lot with a backpack? DC is a distinctly walking city and also a pretty sweaty one as the weather heats up.

The mesh on the Synapse is one of the better ones. We traveled in Thailand pretty comfortably with my S19. I am a profuse sweater and definitely notice a huge comfort difference with the S19 versus a solid fabric bag. Some people also find that wearing the waist strap and hanging the shoulder straps loose keeps the bag off their back to keep a breeze.

To do a lot better than that, you might prefer to wear a sling hung across the body like the PCSB or MCB.