Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sternum strap for Daylight Backpack

Has anyone used the sternum strap sold in the Parts section (this one) on the Daylight Backpack?

I've been using the DLBP a lot while traveling and the shoulder straps slip and slide off my shoulders, down my arms. Pull one up, the other slides, and around and around.

Was curious if this strap will work on it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @sujo! The sternum strap you referenced is designed to fit onto a strip of webbing about 1" wide (I don't have one with me, so I'm not certain how wide) and the Daylight Backpack's straps are 2" wide. That means you wouldn't be able to fit the sternum strap directly onto the DLBP's straps. However, if you really wanted a sternum strap you could sew a strip of narrower webbing onto the front of each of the DLBP's shoulder straps, just like the webbing strips on the Synapses and other bags.

Here's one photo from a post @maverick wrote a few years ago, showing the shoulder straps on a Synapse 25. There are other photos in the post, you can click the red arrow on the quoted post to go there:

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Sternum strap for Daylight Backpack-img_1753-jpg
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @aedifica - Thank you. I couldn't remember how it worked.

My sewing skills ain't so good (even simple stitching), so I might try to brain out another hack. I'll save the 1-inch webbing strap additions as my last option.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    @aedifica - Thank you. I couldn't remember how it worked.

My sewing skills ain't so good (even simple stitching), so I might try to brain out another hack. I'll save the 1-inch webbing strap additions as my last option.
    You're welcome! If you find a hack that you like, please share it.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also buy a short length of 1" webbing at any decent sized fabric / arts & crafts store and have an alterations shop sew it on for you (bring a pic of a TB bag and have them measure you) and buy the sternum strap parts from TB.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    You could also buy a short length of 1" webbing at any decent sized fabric / arts & crafts store and have an alterations shop sew it on for you (bring a pic of a TB bag and have them measure you) and buy the sternum strap parts from TB.
    That's a good idea. Let them handle the tough stuff.

Off to ponder some more ...

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a generic sternum strap assembly from eBay that came from China. Works perfectly on my a30 pcbp which is similar to the daylight backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I ordered a generic sternum strap assembly from eBay that came from China. Works perfectly on my a30 pcbp which is similar to the daylight backpack.

A-ha! Thank you! I'll look that up.

I was attempting a hack by using the hip belt. I wrapped the clip around the strap and feed the belt webbing into the clip and closed, leaving the clasp in the middle. It was ugly and it fell all the way down when not in use, but it worked OK, meaning it held the backpack straps on. However, I didn't walk around with it and I'm sure they would slide down and the left over webbing was annoying. I will definitely investigate the eBay one.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sujo Iím on vacation right now, but as soon as I get home Iíll take pics of it, and see if I can dig up the order info from eBay, it was only $2.50 & free shipping, just takes awhile to arrive. Iíve had it for two years, so itís definitely durable.

"Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    @sujo I’m on vacation right now, but as soon as I get home I’ll take pics of it, and see if I can dig up the order info from eBay, it was only $2.50 & free shipping, just takes awhile to arrive. I’ve had it for two years, so it’s definitely durable.

No worries. Thank you, though. Your advise was a big help. I went on eBay and bought this one. It shipped quickly and I got it yesterday and installed today, in time for my next work trip. It's not a perfect solution but seems to work well enough for what I need. It fits the bill for now. I might still pursue a more permanent solution later.

Sternum strap for Daylight Backpack-sternum-strap-dlbp-jpg