Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question about the truck

well, two questions:

is it ever available in halcyon?

and my main question is this: when fully loaded with stuff, are the straps long enough to put the bag over my shoulder and behind me? (not over my head just like a giant purse, if you will) Or do I have to carry it like a gym duffel?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjf View Post
    well, two questions:

is it ever available in halcyon?

and my main question is this: when fully loaded with stuff, are the straps long enough to put the bag over my shoulder and behind me? (not over my head just like a giant purse, if you will) Or do I have to carry it like a gym duffel?
    Hi @rjf,

I got to test an early prototype of the Truck that was made in Island Halcyon, which I liked a lot as a material option, but they have only offered the Truck in 210d and 525d weight ballistic nylon — Halcyon has never been an option for orders of the Truck. I think this is because for the full range of designed usage, which might include carrying heavy duty power tools in an actual truck, they felt that the heavy duty grade of 525d Ballistic nylon offered more flexibility. So, while I felt that the Halcyon version worked for my usage, and grocery shopping, there a lot of additional usage settings where Ballistic Nylon is required.

It may help help you to understand the planning behind the fabric and color offerings for products if you keep in mind that the materials that TB uses, whether Halcyon or Ballisric Nylon, are custom fabricated for them. They have to preorder these fabrics in large lots, and bankroll production quantities in advance for items and colors that are only being made for them, and that are not available off-the-shelf. In order to control production costs, and minimize waste in fabric usage, they design cutting templates for making multiple bags/accessories out of the same material. This kind of long term planning enters into their decision making for what to offer. (There is latitude for modifications based on feedback from customers expressed in the forums and elesewhere, so it’s fine to express this — I would personally totally support any requests for Halcyon Trucks!)

If you’d like to see some of the pictures of the Island Halcyon prototype I tested, I posted these in the discussion thread about new colors and new design, along with comments about how the feedback was used to make the size of the central compartment and pockets larger.

As for your question about the Truck straps, I can shoulder carry the Truck, but I live in Hawaii, where the average temperature varies less than 10į F (5į C) over the entire year. I probably couldn’t do this if I had to wear heavy outerwear in wintertime. The handle lengths are similar to those of the shop bags, which means I either shoulder carry, or carry these on my arm (handbag style) in addition to using the hand carry method (depending on the weight). Remember that because of the open design — with hard plastic reinforcement in the form of a rectangle sewn into the base of the center compartment to support it and keep it open — carrying a Truck on your shoulder may involve more “width” than carrying a shop bag.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I see that @G42 already added a comment to her post on this subject of the lighter weight 210d Trucks. In line with my preference of Halcyon, I also like the 210d Ballistic Nylon Trucks for their lighter weight and brighter colors. I’ll add the link to the Island 210d Truck
    https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...12307441025087
    Last edited by moriond; 06-15-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to what @moriond said, since I'm not sure if I understand how you are contemplating carrying it...

Measuring from the the center of the top seam of the slightly curved panel below the strap to the top of the poron handle, it's about 9"

If you put your arm through the straps so that they rest on your shoulder, the bag is sitting just a bit below your armpit at your elbow - there's a photo on the product page showing a man carrying it that way.

I wouldn't think you can easily sling thing 'behind' you unless you grab it by both handles and hold it over the back of your shoulder, like you were holding a sports coat or something, but your elbow would most likely be up in the air and it wouldn't be comfortable for long if it's fully loaded.

It's designed to carry at your side by the handles or on one shoulder, tucked under your arm.

ETA: It was mentioned in one of the Forum posts that the 210 ballistic won't be a regular fabric for the Truck, so if you're interested in a lighter weight fabric than the 525 ballistic, there are only a couple Island 210 ballistic Trucks left
    Last edited by G42; 06-15-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rjf I think I understand how youíd like to carry this bag, as that is often how I carry a traditional purse. On my shoulder but not under my arm because it slips and limits what I can use my arms for, but pushed from under my arm towards my back while still remaining on my shoulder.

I also try to carry the truck this way and it does not work unless it is almost empty. The combination of the shorter strap drop length and the width of the bag are the cause. In both weights the base is rigid and sits far away from the body. It also isnít a very tall bag and is extremely open. So when I try to put it over my shoulder and flip it around the bag ends up sideways (and itís tight and uncomfortable anyway.)

The truck really shines for me as a workhorse bag. It stores things that need to be transported from one location to another but not things that need to carried all around, if that makes sense. Itís an excellent car bag, great for sorting things, and an amazing hobby bag. I donít like it for shopping at all though. The compartments confuse the grocery clerks and I put my grocery bags over my shoulder. I think itís very awkward to put a loaded truck over my shoulder, I usually hand carry the truck or put it in the crook of my arm. The shop bags are excellent for groceries, however.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gathiel View Post
    @rjf I think I understand how you’d like to carry this bag, as that is often how I carry a traditional purse. On my shoulder but not under my arm because it slips and limits what I can use my arms for, but pushed from under my arm towards my back while still remaining on my shoulder.

I also try to carry the truck this way and it does not work unless it is almost empty. The combination of the shorter strap drop length and the width of the bag are the cause. In both weights the base is rigid and sits far away from the body. It also isn’t a very tall bag and is extremely open. So when I try to put it over my shoulder and flip it around the bag ends up sideways (and it’s tight and uncomfortable anyway.)
    Yes.. I want to buy one for the summer. I manage a swim team and I am notorious for my Bag which I have all the paperwork I need and some snacks and basic first aid and stuff as well as personal items and other random stuff... it is all things I will only need at meets and that is the only time I carry it. But I really need to be able to put it on my shoulder so I can get from my car to where I'll be! I am also typically carrying a chair and umbrella and of course my iced coffee... So I wouldn't be carrying it like that all the time. My current bag is a thirty one organizer tote but I can't fit my arm through the hole due to the frame on the bag. (and it just annoys me for other reasons though. I have started carrying an Ikea tarp bag but that thing is huge.)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @rjf,

It may help help you to understand the planning behind the fabric and color offerings for products if you keep in mind that the materials that TB uses, whether Halcyon or Ballisric Nylon, are custom fabricated for them. They have to preorder these fabrics in large lots, and bankroll production quantities in advance for items and colors that are only being made for them, and that are not available off-the-shelf. In order to control production costs, and minimize waste in fabric usage, they design cutting templates for making multiple bags/accessories out of the same material. This kind of long term planning enters into their decision making for what to offer. (There is latitude for modifications based on feedback from customers expressed in the forums and elesewhere, so it’s fine to express this — I would personally totally support any requests for Halcyon Trucks!)
    Thank you ! I do appreciate that, I was not intending to be a whiny baby or anything - I just love the look of Halcyon and if it was a thing I would wait! heh heh heh. I do not particularly need any weight, and I guess the ballistic's stiffness may work in my favor for my intended use.

Thank you all.. I appreciate the pictures, I am still torn on whether it will be easy and comfortable. I could always just enlist the help of swimmers but they usually scatter and run...

What I am looking for is similar to the organizer tote without the metal frame, it needs to reasonably stay open - but doesn't have to be super rigid, and allow me to put boxy things in it. And I definitely want the top to be open for ease of use. The Truck seems perfect because of the 3 compartments will loosely organize it and I can put my wallet in the pocket on the side.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjf View Post
    What I am looking for is similar to the organizer tote without the metal frame, it needs to reasonably stay open - but doesn't have to be super rigid, and allow me to put boxy things in it. And I definitely want the top to be open for ease of use. The Truck seems perfect because of the 3 compartments will loosely organize it and I can put my wallet in the pocket on the side.
    Well, I can't promise, but it seems very likely that the Truck would fit your needs! My only reservations are whether the Truck is the right dimensions to fit your particular boxy things, and whether it will get too full for it to be comfortable slung over your shoulder. But you could give it a try and return it if it doesn't work out for you--the return policy is pretty good if you're in the US. (The return policy is the same no matter what country you're in, but return shipping costs more if you're outside the US.)

Here's information about the sizes of the Truck's compartments, in case that helps figure out whether your stuff will fit well: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...nt-widths.html
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Well, I can't promise, but it seems very likely that the Truck would fit your needs! My only reservations are whether the Truck is the right dimensions to fit your particular boxy things, and whether it will get too full for it to be comfortable slung over your shoulder. But you could give it a try and return it if it doesn't work out for you--the return policy is pretty good if you're in the US. (The return policy is the same no matter what country you're in, but return shipping costs more if you're outside the US.)
    Thank you! It's not really boxy. Just a bunch of papers, usually a bag of chips and/or pretzels, a book or two, maybe my kindle, my keys/wallet/glasses, some smaller snacks/fruit granola bars usually biggest container for this is like a lunchbots bento so it's not huge. Also a 3DO with basic self care items (advil, deodorant, band aids, powder, etc) and a pencil case with sharpies and dry erase pens. So not like, big boxes or anything. In my current bag I have no organizers so I have an actual box from the dollar store in there, and stuff the papers along the sides and everything else in the box... plus there's enough space on the other side of the box that my drink will stay upright if I'm careful. I'm hoping the 3 organizing pockets in the truck will eliminate the need for the actual box though. I've gone through 3 of them because they don't last.