Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Bag is Best?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Synapse 19

4 33.33%
  • Synapse 25

7 58.33%
  • Other Bag

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 vs 25

I'm trying to decide between the 19 and 25. My usual days I'm carrying 2 laptops: 13" Macbook Pro for work and 13" Macbook Air for myself, both are the newer models so they're quite thin. I also have a moleskine-esque notebook a pen or two, a tin bento box for food, and a small-ish tech gear bag.

Right now, all of this fits inside this 16L backpack but the organization is really making things difficult. https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/backp...-16l-_-3203821

Occasionally I will also need to throw in my 10" iPad, a water bottle and a couple of t-shirts.

I'd prefer to get the 19, 25 liters seems like a lot given how it's only 8L less than my Tri-Star. Would the 19 work for all my stuff? Or would I be better off with getting the 25 or a different bag entirely?

Cheers!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot more involved if one is to answer this question in a helpful way.
    Neither is better or worse without specific info about the one thing you can not change,you!

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That all seems like it would fit in the S19, but I've never had an S19. Here's an example of what fits in the S25: https://blog.tombihn.com/portable-culture-portrait-cdh.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @nowuh!

How well it all fits depends a lot on the details of the size/shapes of your objects.
    If it fits in the 16L, it should fit in an S19 - except some of the S19 space is allocated to pockets, so it depends on if you can utilize the pockets well.

I have a MacAir and it fits fine in the S19, but I wouldn't personally put two laptops in the bag, because I'm usually carrying other random stuff that uses the space and I don't like over stuffed bags. For two laptops I would kick up to an S25 or Brain Bag, if they fit you.

Hopefully someone will chime in, who uses the S19 w/two laptops.

You can always follow this FAQ for how to order & test pack a bag in such a way that you can return it.... order both bags, try them out, and return the one that doesn't work for you. This gets expensive if you don't live in the US though.

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone else that all of that will probably fit into an S19. But I will also mention that after a couple of years carrying the S19 and considering it pretty much the perfect bag, I finally switched to the S25 -- not because of what I was carrying every day, but because of all those times I needed to put something extra in. Over and over again with the S19, I'd want to add something I didn't normally carry -- a sweater, something I'd just bought -- and because my normal stuff fit perfectly, there wasn't enough room to spare. I decided it was worth carrying around some unused volume to be ready for those times. Also, as you may have already noted, the Synapses are designed to look good either full or empty, because what are side panels when they're full become back panels when they're empty. So even when you're not at full capacity, it doesn't look obviously unfilled.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses! Here's a picture of my actual stuff:

Synapse 19 vs 25-p-jpeg
    I'm more leaning to the 25 now, I definitely don't want to be buying another bag a year or two for now if I start running into the same issue improvised mentioned.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S19 will definitely fit all of that. Personally speaking the S25 just feels very big and cumbersome to me despite being 6'0 185#. Maybe I am just used to small bags.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @Improvised. Your load should fit in the S19 but you’ll likely be limited on adding the periodic extras. I use both an S19 and S25, depending on my load. With a more limited load, the S19 is perfect. With a larger load, especially with more doodads, then I prefer the larger S25.

When I have my HP Elitebook (13”) and IPad and hoodie or a few misc items, the S19 is perfect. If I add a a modestly bulky lunch and misc items, I prefer to step up to the S25. For me, I commute via train and pull stuff out of my pack during the commute. I want it easy to pull and return items. That’s why with fuller loads I prefer the bigger bag.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my 19 they were just called the Synapse and it was the only version they made.
    I loved that bag but it also looked just silly on me too and so the 25 came on the scene and I could never go back to the 19 now!

So again it might depend on you and we have no clue about you?

I would rather have the space and not need it than the other way around every time myself.

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowuh View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! Here's a picture of my actual stuff:

Synapse 19 vs 25-p-jpeg
    I'm more leaning to the 25 now, I definitely don't want to be buying another bag a year or two for now if I start running into the same issue improvised mentioned.
    My current setup is the S25 for 1+ week trips and cold-weather trips, and the DLBP for day/short trips. The DLBP fits most of my S25 kit pretty well; it's just not as organized/easy to get stuff out. The reason I say this is that it might make it worth your while to keep your 16-ltr pack and then get the S25. I fear the S19 wouldn't be a large enough space upgrade over your current pack, while having the 16 and 25 would allow you to mix depending on the situation. S19 would be a replacement for your 16, while S25 would be an addition to your backpack lineup.

(If you get the Burnt Orange Synapse (in either size), please note that I will be living vicariously through you.)

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdh View Post
    it might make it worth your while to keep your 16-ltr pack and then get the S25. I fear the S19 wouldn't be a large enough space upgrade over your current pack, while having the 16 and 25 would allow you to mix depending on the situation. S19 would be a replacement for your 16, while S25 would be an addition to your backpack lineup.
    I used to be a 1-bag person and would buy bags big enough for my heavy days and then be lugging more than I needed for light days. Since discovering TB (and this forun), I’ve become a big fan of switching out bags based on the day’s load.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Since discovering TB (and this forun), I’ve become a big fan of switching out bags based on the day’s load.
    I've come to the same conclusion. Since I'm not carrying a laptop on a daily basis, my EDC ranges from a Side Kick, to a CoPilot, to the S19, which does hold my laptop.