Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 - Horizontal lining in back panel rubbing into lower back

Dear Tom Bihn family,

I recently purchased a Synapse 25 as an EDC bag. While I am generally happy and satisfied with the bag, I noticed a slight discomfort in my lower back due to the rubbing (or rather the slight protruding of) the horizontal lining in the bag's back-panel. Please see the attached image - the line within the red square is what I'm referring to.

I wonder if this is due to the internal frame inserted into the bag not having the right curve to my back? Also wonder if anyone else feels the same problem and has developed a solution to this.

Thank you so much for your time reading this and I would truly appreciate any replies from this family .

Have a great day ahead!

Most kindest regards,
    Toan Nguyen
    Attached Images Attached Images Synapse 25 - Horizontal lining in back panel rubbing into lower back-tombihn25-png-png 
    Last edited by h.toan.nguyen; 06-25-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h.toan.nguyen View Post
    Dear Tom Bihn family,

I recently purchased a Synapse 25 as an EDC bag. While I am generally happy and satisfied with the bag, I noticed a slight discomfort in my lower back due to the rubbing (or rather the slight protruding of) the horizontal lining in the bag's back-panel. Please see the attached image - the line within the red square is what I'm referring to.

I wonder if this is due to the internal frame inserted into the bag not having the right curve to my back? Also wonder if anyone else feels the same problem and has developed a solution to this.

Thank you so much for your time reading this and I would truly appreciate any replies from this family .

Have a great day ahead!

Most kindest regards,
    Toan Nguyen
    Hi Toan Nguyen and welcome to the Forums, we're glad you're here!

It could be that your internal frame is not adjusted correctly to the shape of YOUR back.

Please take a look at this blog post describing how to correctly insert/remove the frame and how to adjust it to the uniqueness of your body.

https://blog.tombihn.com/synapseframe

Give that a try and see how it goes for you. If that doesn't solve the problem, please also reach out to the fine folks at Customer Service and ask for their advice.

Hope this helps!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h.toan.nguyen View Post
    Dear Tom Bihn family,

Have a great day ahead!

Most kindest regards,
    Toan Nguyen
    Hi @h.toan.nguyen,

Welcome to the forums. I have mainly used two versions of the Synapse 25: one is (Original) Steel 400d Halcyon/Wasabi from the first production batch of the Synapse 25. This predates the support frame, and I usually carry items in this S25 without using the frame. I also have a Guide's Edition Synapse 25 in Navy 1050d Ballistic Nylon, which comes with the frame (and hip belt). I usually use this Synapse 25 when I want to carry items with the frame. For me (just under 5'4'' with a petite build), the default curvature of the support frame works for me.

There are a few ways that you can check whether it is the curvature of the support bar in the Synapse that is causing you discomfort. First, there is a Blog article (with video): How To Add/Remove and Adjust Synapse Internal Frames.

One thing that you can check is whether the bag with frame rests comfortably against your back with/and without loads. (I've tested using frame sheets for both sizes of the Aeronauts in other backpacks like the Smart Alec, or other travel bags, and the first this is to check whether the shape of the frame before adjustment rests comfortably against your back. In some cases, people like some support, but lighter weight, and will actually pull out the entire metal bar from its housing, and just use the frame sheet alone, without the metal bar. I don't think that a lot of forum users do this, but pulling out the bar, and feeling whether this notably improves the feel of the way items are carried against your back is an easy way to check how much improvement you might get from trying to adjust the curving shape of the metal bar.)

The video shows the way that you can make the adjustments to the bar by bending it over your knee. I have to state that I haven't had to do that, although I do feel differences in the fit of different framesheets to my back -- I've tried the Synapse 19, Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, and Shadow Guide (backpack) framesheets.

As stated, I think the starting point is to feel whether the curvature of the frame sheet matches your back. (In my case, this works, but the Synapse 25 is probably ideally matched to someone who is slightly taller than I am.)

I hope that some other forum members will come forward with suggestions based on their experiences.

Hope this helps,

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much G42 and moriond.

I have tried to adjust the curvature of the frame as suggested by you. However, it seems that the frame is not the cause. Perhaps it's the stitch-line that separates the foam-back and the fabric bottom that causes the slight discomfort - the line within the red square in the picture.

Maybe this bag just takes time to get used to .

Thank you again for your responses!

Most kindest regards,
    Toan